1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So, Do You Want The New iPhone?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by nueces snapper, Sep 11, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I probably need to jump on this. My iPhone 4 is over two years old ( I think ) and gets a lot of hard use. Can't afford to be without a smartphone on my job.

I guess the larger screen will be a plus. Other than that its just a tool I gotta have. I live 100 miles from an AT&T store however and not knowing when we can preorder is bugging me. Will it be tomorrow after the announcement or Friday?

I spose I could try and preorder on line but surely that will be a giant cluster____.

Any thoughts or inside dope? There is even a rumor out there that some stores are taking secret preorders already. I called the local store and they won't tell me squat. :biggrin:

2. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    I wish I could get a 4. I'm on an unlocked 3GS on TMobile. An iPhone 4 would be a big upgrade for me (particularly its camera). I'd like the new one, it's just not I the cards. Apple stores would not do preorders today, but perhaps some big box stores might.

3. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm thankfully way less interested in latest and greatest phones than I am cameras. One gear obsession at a time for me. I'll be living with the 4S for a while. I think my wife will get the 5 in March though, so I may get a bit jealous then. :)

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    I skipped the 4S, and have a serious jones for a better camera than my 4 has.

So... Apple..

TAKE MY DAMN MONEY ALREADY!!!

David

• Like Like x 2
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Eh, nothing in the rumors electrifies me. I'm still on the 4, I don't feel like I'm missing out (though the better camera would be nice). As a developer I imagine somebody in the office is going to wind up with one for testing, but I don't care if it's not me. The basic 4 is a very good common 'default' spec for development purposes, along with a 3GS as the base.

7. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I have heard the 5 orders will start tomorrow after the announcement and will ship in a few days.I'm curious if there will be any changes to the already excellent camera.The video blows me away every time I use it.

8. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I too skipped the 4S. Bring on 5!

My husband asked what the 5 would do that my 4 won't. I said I didn't know yet, but I'd want it no matter what.

• Like Like x 1
  9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hmm i will be tempted to renew my contract in january for the new model.we will see what the price is in Canada with subsidies i guess.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I skipped the 4 and have been happy with the 4S. I better be; think I have another year to go before I'll be eligible for a "discount" upgrade. I'm underwhelmed by the camera on the 4S, but it does serve its purpose when no other camera is available to capture what used to be called a "Kodak moment."

11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I prefer my apples baked in pie or other forms of pastry.

• Like Like x 1
  12. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Not for me. Got rid of my 4 and went to a Galaxy Note. Very happy now and have no interest in the 5.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Another Android guy here. Made the switch after the iPhone 3GS and can't imagine ever wanting to go back.

• Like Like x 2
  14. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    My wife is rocking an iPhone 3G, so she is probably due for an upgrade. I think she would actually prefer the smaller size, so maybe I will look for a discount 4S instead.

I recently picked up an Galaxy Nexus for my personal/work mobile. I like it quite a bit so far... on the camera side, output is decent, and the image capture is pretty quick.

15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Gordon
    I am with you though my wife stole galaxy note. I am not gonna buy Iphone again . I dont like how apple is bullying samsung . Apple should pay to use word phone , text , mic , key pad , tocuh screen etc etc because they already existed . I am also bored with apple OS now and android suits me better . Samsung note is a perfect device and serves the purpose of phone and tablet. I can even hook a Pen drive to it via an adaptor.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

16. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    My wife recently upgraded from a 3Gs to a 4s. She wasn't due until November. However, she decided to give the 3Gs a salt-water immersion test in the Atlantic Ocean; it failed the test. AT&T, in a fit of generosity, allowed her to upgrade early.

She didn't like the older model; I remain suspicious...

17. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Protecting one's intellectual property is not bullying...Samsung got off easy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    IP is a serious thing and anyone knocking for their financial gain should not be taken likely. Apple had a strong enough case that the courts agree to see the case and also award them a significant judgement.

Has Apple gone long in the tooth.. absolutely. As have many of their products. Without Jobs.. they'll soon become an also ran in the Phone segment. Not sure about Tablets yet if the iPad will stand the test of time. A lot will have to do with whatever traction Microsoft is able to eek out.

• Like Like x 1
  19. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    I have no problem with people preferring one platform vs. another. But this idea floating around the web that Apple "bullied" Samsung makes my hair catch on fire.

As someone involved with intellectual property (I'm a patent draftsman), I followed the trial and the evidence presented by Apple's lawyers with some interest. The amount of IP theft by Samsung was almost comical in its scope and depth. And no, I'm not talking about the "rounded rectangle" straw man that Google's spokespeople keep offering. There was no patent claim by Apple on rounded rectangles.

But Samsung blatantly copied icons, operating interface, menus, home screens, you name it. Like I said, if you go and look at the evidence presented to the jury, I have to wonder why Samsung's lawyers even showed up for the trial. They had to know that they were going to get spanked hard.

It was obvious IP theft, and I have to wonder if anyone whose house has been burgled would be considered a bully if they pressed charges against the thief.

Poor, bullied Samsung. Now they have to innovate like everybody else. :rolleyes:

David

• Like Like x 3
  20. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    Chuck
    IP is a very much corporate bullying and Apple is the King of Corporate bullying .There is nothing similar between Samsung and Apple phones . All phones have touch screens and touch and zoom wasnt invented by Apple . Apple is copying things from others. Nokia was first phone maker to put camera into phones and thus every phone maker should pay them loyality . Apple should pay Nokina 100 Billion dollars for breaking copy rights then . Tocuch screen existed even before Iphone was launched ..then apple should be booked for copyright thing . Its very easy for a silly judge to get influenced by corporate muscle power .Anyway thats my personal opinion and may differ with yours :smile:
    Cheers