So Cal - G5 and GH3 FNG

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by MikeW-RRE, May 26, 2013.

1. MikeW-RRE

MikeW-RRE New to Mu-43

May 20, 2013
    FNG here. Been lurking and soaking up information for 6 months or so. Bought a G5 with the 14-42 kit lens in Feb.

Previously I had a Fuji FinePix S3 Pro APS-C DSLR which was probably the last DSLR made before video was available :p I do a lot of shooting for my blog with car parts and at races and people doing cool things and was wanting wider lenses to get in and up close. It used Nikon lenses but by the time I invested in better lenses and then went to a video able body, better to just jump to MFT and get better video for the money than with DSLRs. Yeah, that is my justification for going broke on all new toys and I'm sticking with it! I gave the S3 to one of my kids.

I picked up a good used 45-200 Panasonic lens first for shooting at the race track. I also got a couple $30 25mm and 35mm adapted CCTV lens to play with in the shop. They make some cool defocused images but it takes time setting up the shot being all manual. Hard to get anything spontaneous (for me anyways). You also need to block the side and overhead light just right using the little cheap manual lenses wide open, JJ Abrams would love them. I use a couple Newer and Visonic $35 wide angle adapters for wide shots. They are soft around the edges for sure but it works fine for web and for my audience for what I do. I cant remember the last time I printed a picture I took.

Wanting more defocus with a native lens I went looking for a 14mm Panasonic lens. 14mm because it was wider and $100 cheaper than a 20mm. @ 2.5f it was much faster than the kit lens at 14mm. I ended up picking up a GF3 off Amazon used with the 14mm lens for the same price as a used 14mm lens alone. The GF3 is good for the wife since it is smaller. I use it as a second camera quite a bit I have found. But you really miss the articulated screen of the G series for shooting up high and down low.

But the 14mm Panasonic isnt wide enough for the close in wide look I want and isnt fast enough for that defocused look with any distance from the subject. So now I am looking for a 20mm Panasonic lens. And if I could only save up the cheese for a 7-14mm lens. And a 14-140 would cover so much territory in just one lens and and and… Stupid affordable MFT bodies are just a gateway drug to a slippery downhill slope :p

Mike W
  2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan

Glad to have you with us.

Post some pics?