So are we likely to get fast zooms?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by deckitout, Feb 9, 2010.

1. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Such as 14/54, 12/60, 50/200 in M4/3 format

I guess they would defeat the object of a lightweight system, although still be smaller than current DSLR's.

Most of the current zooms are fairly slow so do have limitations for certain types of Photography

What do you think?

2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I think the M4/3 format is still too young for Olympus/Panasonic to throw a huge amount of money in developing even more zooms that are faster than current offerings.

The current range of zooms cover most eventualities and as can be seen, the new lenses are being introduced very much on a trickle effect basis to judge the demand out there.

Demand = Supply but until that grows we should not expect to see a brace of new lenses that are faster.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I really do hope so. A faster kit lens would be awesome, IMHO.

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I'll be quite happy with just three more prime lenses - a fast 12mm prime from Olympus, and a fast 50mm macro and a (very) fast 57mm portrait lens.

Having adapted to the 20mm f1.7 - I'd rather have speed and compact than zoom flexibility... having said that, the 9-18 and 14-150 look very interesting. Just need to see IQ.

Cheers

Brian

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    In this format, I don't expect fast zoomies. They would be bigger than the camera.
    As Brian stated, fast primes are what's needed.
    With DSLR cameras, most shooters use zoomies as the main and primes for special purposes. Here, it's the opposite.

For me the 20 is all I need. There are those amongst us that think different.
    I'm old and I like AF. Gimme some fast primes and I'll be happy too.

6. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    None that I'd want to pay for or carry around, no.

By contrast, a fast 12/24 would pique my interest.

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I actually wonder by how much. I wouldn't think that a 14-54 2.8-3.5 in mFT would be much larger than the panny kit zoom, since OLY does not have to put in OIS. Just look at the size difference between OLY and Panny's 14-150. The diameter is quite significant.

Dj

8. deckitout

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Yep

Those primes would suit me as well and cover much of what I do, like you the 9/18 is likely to be on my list

9. deckitout

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    I think it will be interesting where the format develops. Whilst there are some areas M 4/3's simply won't cut it at present, stuff like focussing etc will improve, I recall reading somewhere that the future may be pulling images from video footage, who knows

10. deckitout

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Well there seems none planned, but like Brian I would settle for fast primes to keep the portability

11. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'm with primes all the way for this format. My ideal range would be 10mm, 14mm, 20mm and 45mm - all as fast as possible, but f2.8 would be fine (except, of course, on the 20mm which we already have at f1.7)

• Like Like x 2