So, are any EM5 owners planning to get GX7 as replacement?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Steven, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    If so, would you care to share your reasoning? Is it because of the more boxy form factor? other reasons?

follow-up question: how much are you asking for your EM5 ? :biggrin::tongue:

2. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    If the GX7 flares less with the panny 7-14, then I'm definitely selling my EM5. I was thinking $750 or $800 with the full grip, extra battery, hand strap (the one that attaches to the grip) and the Oly full leather case.

Does that seem like I'm asking for too much?

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    What if the E-M1 flares less too?

4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Narad Muni ...now google it :drinks::drinks::wink::wink:

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    So this forum is an example of what frustrated Narad Muni? :biggrin:

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Yes. Considering it. But not as a replacement. MAy run a GX7 and EM1 as mains and pick up a housing for the EM5. Keep the other one for when I flood the housing. :)

Or two EM1's and a GX7. Too many cameras. Too little time.

Gordon

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I can't think of any reason why I would trade an e-m5 for a GX-7... I really dont see what all the fuss is about... maybe someone will enlighten me

K

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can see the merits of the GX7's left side viewfinder especially for street photography. For quick snaps, it's easier to shoot with the left eye gauging the scene, while the right eye focuses on composition.

9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No, but I'd like to add the E-M1 to my E-M5 (with more lenses). :rolleyes:

10. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    I am waiting for the E-M5 mark II (with improved sensor, better DR, iso80, etc.). Until then I am stick with E-M5 as I don't see that many advantages in either GX7 or even E-M1 in order to trade for them. This little camera simply makes me want taking pictures everytime I grab it. Om my mind OM-D E-M5 is just THE camera I wanted as it made me loving photography again :)

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Sorry, but this isn't something you need an offset viewfinder for. I shoot both eyes open on my E-M5 and even my 5dII without issue. Keep right eye on VF, left open and scanning the scene.

12. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    fair point... sadly I have never mastered the 2 eyes open technique

:)

K

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like centered VF's for portrait oriented and long lens shooting, but I think I could shoot even faster with the offset VF for quick street shooting with mild to wide focal lengths. I'm not so concerned about the body style, but the way I can shoot faster on the move. I think the GX7 form factor will excel in that regards.

14. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Maybe my perspective is slightly different than many of you, and I was thinking strongly about acquiring the GX7, but not as a replacement. I don't think I will ever sell my EM-5 (I like it too much). I do like the GX7's form factor, 1/8000 shutter speed, ISO100 sensitivity and the articulating EVF. Until I can hold one in my hands however I won't be sure that I would be satisfied with it.

15. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I prefer the form factor of the GX7. Doing away with the faux pentaprism reduces the overall height of the camera while increasing the shoulder height for better grip. Significant reservations over: new Panasonic sensor, AWB - Olympus AWB with Keep Warm Off, can't be beat, Panasonic JPGs and AF point selection (I have a GX1. Touch screen AF point selection works well, but with the camera held up to your face, as it would be with the GX7, it takes two button taps before the the AF sensor can be moved.)

If I don't get a photographic net gain with the GX7, I won't buy it. Hopefully, Olympus comes out with an update to the E-M5 that addresses some of the ergo issues I have with it and a newer generation sensor (I have no interest in the E-M1).

16. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Looks. People have been agonising for ages over lack of rangefinder style cameras in m43 land. Now it's finally here.

17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I can't see it replacing my E-M5, but I'm sure I'd prefer it to my E-PL5 - the built-in finder and extra wheel are pretty compelling features. OTOH, not sure I want to spend that amount of money for a replacement 2nd body - esp since the E-PL5 takes such wonderful pictures.

TBH, I'm trying to resist GAS at the moment - esp on bodies. Lenses are a different story and I'm now sitting on seven u43 lenses (7-14, 9-18, 12-35, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 75/1.8, 100-300) with a Samyang fisheye on its way to me . I never expected to acquire this much u43 gear and I need to rationalise. For sure once I get the fisheye one of the UWAs needs to go (maybe even the fisheye itself, but I work on the basis that until you've tried a lens you can't know if it's right for you).

18. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Nor me - my brain cant cope with that !
    Rob

19. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I've wanting to get the underwater housing for my EM-5 for awhile, for my trips to HI and Guam. If the GX7 or the EM1 end up having the same flare issues with the panny 7-14, my plan is to keep my EM5 and finally get the housing.

I like the EM5 a lot but I also like shooting with the panny 7-14 (I end up using a GX1 with that lens b/c that combo tends to flare less). I may end selling off the 7-14 if neither the GX7 or the EM1 pan out like i'm hoping.

20. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Dump the hump! The OM-D It looks nice, but it is huge a bulky camera.