So... about the Fuji X100...

Rudi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
... how is it performing with the latest firmware update?

This is one camera that keeps calling out to me! I know I probably shouldn't... but I probably will. Buy one, that is, unless someone talks me out of it. :smile:

greyelm

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Malcolm
The latest firmware is very good, much better than the earlier version. I have had mine for over a year and during that time the firmware got better and better. Focussing is fine, even manual focus is useable and the IQ is superb.I have a G3 and the X100 has much lower noise at high ISO.

If you can afford it buy one you probably won't regret it but keep the m4/3 for the range of lenses available.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
I wish I'd never looked up the X100... I didn't know anything about it until someone mentioned it in a thread here a while back, and now I'm stuck on it :tongue:

I'm completely invested in m4/3 at this point, but something about the Fuji X100 keeps calling my name. I don't know if it's just romanticism over the design or what but I can't help but think it'd be a fun complement to my existing setup. Just for a taste of something different, and to make me think a little differently about how I approach taking photos.

0dBm

Mu-43 Top Veteran
"...This is one camera that keeps calling out to me!"
Why is that? Please expand on this statement. I wish to know more detail so that I can determine if I'm missing out on the merits of this camera.

NJH

Mu-43 Regular
I have an X100 on firmware 1.21 and an E-P2. The X100 focuses quicker than the E-P2 even with the Oly 45 f1.8 on. The AF on the X100 thus far has not caused me much complaint.

Multi-point AF is a bit hit and miss bta my experience with Olympus was much the same, its no worse than my old E3 was for example.

Continuous AF is only on a cross on the middle and again like the C-AF on the E-P2 is not really useable for much as its a bit slow and hesitant and of course only works for something bang in the middle of the screen.

Manual focus is no more difficult than on a pen you just need to push the jog wheel in to get the magnified view.

Single shot AF on a centre point is fast and accurate however I tend to put the camera into MF and use the AFL button to single shot focus instead as this separates AFL and AEL if of course the button has been selected to lock AFL only in the menu.

My only real gripes with the camera are as follows:
1) The EVF stutters/freezes for an unacceptably long time on a shutter half press. It does it in MF so seems to be something to do with the metering. Luckily the OVF is brilliant and of course doesn't black out when shooting like the EVF2 does on my E-P2.
2) The S-AF struggles at shortish distances but oddly if in manual mode a press of the AFL button to focus always nails it perfectly + will automatically go into macro mode if in a really short distance. I have heard that firmware 1.30 improves this.
3) The selection for Auto ISO is not on the same scroll menu as selecting an ISO value which is crazy menu design. Still though at least you can select a minimum shutter speed so the Auto ISO is at least useable unlike on the E-P2 where it was always either to low or to high for me.

Shutter is practically silent, panorama mode and 5 fps are all useable. Its a great camera. Something else worth mentioning, the camera size comparisons can misrepresent the real comparative size. The X100 is more or less exactly the same height from base to top of hotshoe as the E-P2, its also a lot thinner than an E-P2 with the 20 on.

I am not giving up on m4/3 though as the jury is still out on Fuji and anything other than fairly normal focal lengths.

Rudi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you can afford it buy one you probably won't regret it but keep the m4/3 for the range of lenses available.
That's not a problem! I have an extensive range of Canon EF lenses and DSLRs to go with them. That said, I just might keep my Olympus E-P3 and 45mm f/1.8, for a two-camera "light" setup. Maybe.

"...This is one camera that keeps calling out to me!"
Why is that? Please expand on this statement. I wish to know more detail so that I can determine if I'm missing out on the merits of this camera.
I always shoot better images when I have less to work with. That seems counterintuitive, but for my personal work, I find that the more that I limit my choices in camera gear, the better the pictures that I bring home! So a fixed-lens compact with a larger sensor is something that will probably chalenge me in just the right way. Or so I hope. Only one way to find out, right? :smile:

I have an X100 on firmware 1.21 and an E-P2. The X100 focuses quicker than the E-P2 even with the Oly 45 f1.8 on. The AF on the X100 thus far has not caused me much complaint.

Multi-point AF is a bit hit and miss bta my experience with Olympus was much the same, its no worse than my old E3 was for example.

Continuous AF is only on a cross on the middle and again like the C-AF on the E-P2 is not really useable for much as its a bit slow and hesitant and of course only works for something bang in the middle of the screen.

Manual focus is no more difficult than on a pen you just need to push the jog wheel in to get the magnified view.

Single shot AF on a centre point is fast and accurate however I tend to put the camera into MF and use the AFL button to single shot focus instead as this separates AFL and AEL if of course the button has been selected to lock AFL only in the menu.

My only real gripes with the camera are as follows:
1) The EVF stutters/freezes for an unacceptably long time on a shutter half press. It does it in MF so seems to be something to do with the metering. Luckily the OVF is brilliant and of course doesn't black out when shooting like the EVF2 does on my E-P2.
2) The S-AF struggles at shortish distances but oddly if in manual mode a press of the AFL button to focus always nails it perfectly + will automatically go into macro mode if in a really short distance. I have heard that firmware 1.30 improves this.
3) The selection for Auto ISO is not on the same scroll menu as selecting an ISO value which is crazy menu design. Still though at least you can select a minimum shutter speed so the Auto ISO is at least useable unlike on the E-P2 where it was always either to low or to high for me.

Shutter is practically silent, panorama mode and 5 fps are all useable. Its a great camera. Something else worth mentioning, the camera size comparisons can misrepresent the real comparative size. The X100 is more or less exactly the same height from base to top of hotshoe as the E-P2, its also a lot thinner than an E-P2 with the 20 on.

I am not giving up on m4/3 though as the jury is still out on Fuji and anything other than fairly normal focal lengths.
Thanks for the detailed reply! :thumbup:

In the end, the Fuji X100 is a camera that I have thought about for well over a year now (ever since it was first announced), so I think it's just of those things - I'll have to suck it and see - the only way for me to find out whether it's right for me is to actually buy and use one for a while. I think. :rolleyes:

Anyone else want to chime in before I do something that I cannot take back? :smile:

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've been interested in the X-100 for quite a while too, that lovely RF styling, great OVF/EVF. It's a digital version of my Bessa R, I keep the 35/2.5 on that most of the time, and it just feels so right with the Fuji. The X-Pro1 would be irresistible if it was cheaper.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
I almost bought one today - especially since the brown leather case was bundled in for free! :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom