1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Snug mount between Olympus 45 f/1.8 & E-PL2

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Replytoken, May 13, 2012.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Hi,

I picked up an Olympus refurbished E-PL2 2-lens kit two months ago because I needed a light weight alternative to my Nikon D300 due to medical conditions. While I am still getting comfortable with the E-PL2, I am finding it to be quite a fun camera.

As the kit was quite reasonably priced, since it was refurbished, I had enough funds to pick up some additional equipment, including a new 45 f/1.8. I have shot some images with the lens, as my health has permitted, and have not seen any obvious problems with any of the images. However, this lens is quite stiff/tight when I mount it on the E-PL2, much more so than the plastic mount 14-42II or 40-150, and it takes more effort to engage the lock than I would have expected.

As my 30-day return/exchange privilege is coming up later this week, I was wondering if anybody else had a similar experience with either this lens or body? I am not really inclined to send it back, especially if this is not uncommon, but I do not have easy access to another lens or body to compare. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Ken, I've experienced the same phenomenon with the same lens/body combination; ironically, my E-PL2 is a refurb. But the 45 is also tight on the E-PM1 and E-P3. The good news is that it's gotten a little less tight (although certainly not loose) with use. I no longer consider it an issue.

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    It fits pretty tight on my Panasonic body as well.

4. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks to both of you for confirming what I initially suspected. I am going to consider this a non-issue and move on to figuring out what settings best suit my shooting style. The camera may be half the size of my D300, but it seems to have nearly as many settings to choose among. I have the feeling it is going to take a bit of time until I am able to extract as much IQ as I can from the EPL-2. Thankfully, it is quite a forgiving camera.

--Ken

5. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Ken, it's a great little camera; I trust you'll thoroughly enjoy it!

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Chuck,

I do not want to go OT, but I was wondering if you were able to detect any blemishes or flaws on your refurb? I had a couple of scratches in the upper left hand corner, and Olympus considered them cosmetic and said they were "normal". Given that I was not able to switch it for another body as no more were in stock, I decided to keep it.

--Ken

7. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Mine goes on easy, but I'm pretty buff. Maybe do some curls and your problem will be solved:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    My 45mm is snug on both the E-P3 and E-M5 as well...I believe it even scratches the mount...

9. billgreen

billgreen Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 4, 2012
    Herradura de Rivas, Costa Rica
    Bill Green
    Ditto, my 45 is a snug fit on all 3 of my bodies. (see below)

10. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Too funny! I bought this system because I had some major health issues these past few months, and I have very little strength and stamina for carrying around my Nikon D300 and lenses. Do you think I should just buy an iPhone 4S?:eek:

--Ken

P.S. I'll be keeping my little Oly when I have regained my health. It has earned its keep to live along side of my beloved D300. Just don't tell anybody over at Nikonians!:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Ken, I just looked it over and found one tiny ding above the grip area. But I may have done that myself. Otherwise, it looks - and, more importantly, performs great.

12. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks for the reply, Chuck. I normally buy new, but the price was too good to pass up, and the scratches are like that first ding in a new car. Now I do not have to worry about keeping the camera pristine!

--Ken

13. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Ken, I've purchased three cameras that were factory refurbs, and I haven't had a ringer yet. I've also bought used cameras and bodies from members of this forum; this group really takes care of their equipment!

Of course, I'm used to this approach; I buy lightly used cars and trucks as well. That first-year depreciation is a killer.