Snug Bag, and kit bag for the EM10?

snerkler

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,

I'm looking for a very snug bag for the EM10 that I can use with just one lens. The olympus wrapping bag for the EM5 (http://shop.olympus.co.uk/e_commerc...e=google&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=penglb) looks almost ideal as it will adapt in size depending on which lens you have attached, meaning if I just had a pancake I could still fit it in a large coat pocket. The one downside is that it doesn't have a shoulder strap (preferably detachable) for the times I have a bigger lens that won't allow it to fit into a pocket. Is there anything else out there that is similar but with a strap? There's this (http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/...ries/pen_om_d_cases_straps/cs_44sf/index.html) which is specifically designed for the EM10, but it will only fit the EM10 with pancake, so no good if I want to take the camera out with the 45mm attached.

Also, I have just ordered a lens and it comes with a free Olympus PEN travel bag medium size which I'm hoping to use. However, looking at pics on the internet I'm not sure it will be big enough for all the kit I plan on using. Does anyone have any pics of the inside of the Olympus OMD bags (medium and large http://shop.olympus.co.uk/e_commerce/accessories/om-d-c-405.htm) so that I can see how much gear they take please? Are there any other bags folk would recommend. Potential gear (over time) is the EM10 with pancake zoom, Olly 40-150mm, Olly 45mm, and Panny 20mm pancake. I do eventually want the 75-300mm but would probably take this in place of the 40-150mm. I'd also have a spare battery, and possibly the Fl-36 flash.

Any help appreciated.

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
The OMD bags (Medium and large) look exactly like a bag I got years ago in a promotion for my ancient E500 (Still works and still a lovely camera!). I wasn't too impressed back then since it was really too small for a DSLR. But It is perfect for holding the E-M10 and lenses. Hope this helps.

IMG_20140506_070532_851_resize.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_20140506_070414_207_resize.jpg

The camera has the DSLR 14-55 lens mounted. It's a little loose inside the bag but when I place little accessories around the lens (lens cloth, rocket blower, etc.) it gets snug enough.

The bag is about 9 inches long, 8 inches deep, and aboout 7.5 inches high (not counting the slight curvature of the flap which could add an inch or so depending on how tight the straps are adjusted)

DennisC

Mu-43 Regular
I've used a Domke F5XA since my G1 days.
Good for the body with standard lens plus one Tele.
Front pockets too.

For a snug bag with my M10 I use a soft leather Fuji X100 pouch and thats pocketable.

nixapatfan

Mu-43 Regular
I got a Golla Shadow bag just for this purpose, got it off Ebay new for $9 shipped. Well made bag with quality materials, magnetic latch and a soft velcro latch for additional security. Fits E-P5 with 45mm and has a padded divider for a little extra room to slide in a FL-300R and a spare battery. They come in all sorts of colors and designs.
http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Small-...=1399383244&sr=8-21&keywords=golla+camera+bag

DL Photo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Dave
I use a Crumpler 3 million dollar bag. They are a little pricier but well padded and comfortable. Space for a second lens or charger as well.

Klorenzo

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lorenzo
The olympus wrapping bag for the EM5 (http://shop.olympus.co.uk/e_commerc...e=google&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=penglb) looks almost ideal as it will adapt in size depending on which lens you have attached, meaning if I just had a pancake I could still fit it in a large coat pocket. The one downside is that it doesn't have a shoulder strap (preferably detachable) for the times I have a bigger lens that won't allow it to fit into a pocket.

I have the EM-5 case and is good for big lenses. I can use it, barely, with omd-10 with the external grip and the 12-40. It's perfect size for the 40-150 with the 45 should be ok. With the pancake zoom is too big, and it wraps around the camera a lot: it works but seems bulky.
Being very soft it's not very easy to put the camera inside, you need two hands, I'd say that is good for transport and storage but not much for quick on/off use.
Anyway it has two apertures on the sides so you can use it leaving the camera strap going outside.

Andy Manx

New to Mu-43
Hi,

I'm looking for a very snug bag for the EM10 that I can use with just one lens. The olympus wrapping bag for the EM5 (Olympus Shop - OM-D Wrapping Case - Accessories - PEN / OM-D) looks almost ideal as it will adapt in size depending on which lens you have attached, meaning if I just had a pancake I could still fit it in a large coat pocket. The one downside is that it doesn't have a shoulder strap (preferably detachable) for the times I have a bigger lens that won't allow it to fit into a pocket. Is there anything else out there that is similar but with a strap? There's this (http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/...ries/pen_om_d_cases_straps/cs_44sf/index.html) which is specifically designed for the EM10, but it will only fit the EM10 with pancake, so no good if I want to take the camera out with the 45mm attached.

Also, I have just ordered a lens and it comes with a free Olympus PEN travel bag medium size which I'm hoping to use. However, looking at pics on the internet I'm not sure it will be big enough for all the kit I plan on using. Does anyone have any pics of the inside of the Olympus OMD bags (medium and large http://shop.olympus.co.uk/e_commerce/accessories/om-d-c-405.htm) so that I can see how much gear they take please? Are there any other bags folk would recommend. Potential gear (over time) is the EM10 with pancake zoom, Olly 40-150mm, Olly 45mm, and Panny 20mm pancake. I do eventually want the 75-300mm but would probably take this in place of the 40-150mm. I'd also have a spare battery, and possibly the Fl-36 flash.

Any help appreciated.

How did your search for a suitable snug bag go? I'm in the same position. I use the OM-D EM10 but have started to use the larger telephoto lenses (oly 12-40 pro and oly 75-300) and my little manfrotto bag no longer fits the bill. Like you, I want something that fits well to offer protection but not so big it renders buying a compact camera pointless!
Thanks

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
Another option is the Tenba BYOB inserts and/or bags. I use the Tenba BYOB 9 Insert for use in the bag of my choice. It's pretty small, can take an OM-D body and up to four prime lenses. Or buy the insert and Packlite bag together, the bag is good for travel or short trips, folds up into a small package, and with the insert allows enough room to carry some other items, but is not something I use all of the time. The advantages are small size, not overly padded, can be configured for various gear, fairly inexpensive, and use with the bag of your choice.

Another option is toploader/holster bags like Lowepro offers.

jdcope

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jon
Hi,

I'm looking for a very snug bag for the EM10 that I can use with just one lens. The olympus wrapping bag for the EM5 (Olympus Shop - OM-D Wrapping Case - Accessories - PEN / OM-D) looks almost ideal as it will adapt in size depending on which lens you have attached, meaning if I just had a pancake I could still fit it in a large coat pocket. The one downside is that it doesn't have a shoulder strap (preferably detachable) for the times I have a bigger lens that won't allow it to fit into a pocket. Is there anything else out there that is similar but with a strap? There's this (CS‑44SF - System Cameras - PEN & OM-D Accessories - Olympus) which is specifically designed for the EM10, but it will only fit the EM10 with pancake, so no good if I want to take the camera out with the 45mm attached.

Also, I have just ordered a lens and it comes with a free Olympus PEN travel bag medium size which I'm hoping to use. However, looking at pics on the internet I'm not sure it will be big enough for all the kit I plan on using. Does anyone have any pics of the inside of the Olympus OMD bags (medium and large Olympus Shop - Digital Cameras, Digital SLR Cameras, Pen Cameras - Digital Voice Recorders - Binoculars) so that I can see how much gear they take please? Are there any other bags folk would recommend. Potential gear (over time) is the EM10 with pancake zoom, Olly 40-150mm, Olly 45mm, and Panny 20mm pancake. I do eventually want the 75-300mm but would probably take this in place of the 40-150mm. I'd also have a spare battery, and possibly the Fl-36 flash.

Any help appreciated.

I have this Evecase holster. It fits my E-M10 and a couple smaller lenses really well. And it has an outside zippered pocket for spare batteries and such.

https://www.amazon.com/Camera-Case-Evecase-Professional-Shoulder/dp/B00FEY28HA

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
For the E-M10 + prime, I am using an Olympus Ultra Shoulder Case which has a removable shoulder strap and can be slipped into a bigger bag/coat pocket if needed. I also have a Cullman holster from my film days which I use for the E-M10 + O75-300II. It also works great as a body + 2 prime case. For a bigger kit, I am currently using the Domke F-5XB which will hold the E-M10 w/ ECG-1 and O14-150II (same length as the 12-40PRO) mounted along with a small prime, the O75-300II and the Raynox DCR-150. Hope this helps. All of these have small pockets for batteries/cards and such.

lchien

Mu-43 Veteran
I use the Lowepro Event Messenger bag 100 - $30 at Amazon for the black one, and oddly $44 for the Gray one.
https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Mess...2456891&sr=8-2&keywords=lowepro+messenger+100

upload_2016-8-29_2-49-41.png

It has been good for me. It has two adjustable dividers to make three compartments. I usually carry a 75-300mm or a 60mm macro (or the 75 mm would fit too) on the left. The 25mm on the right. The tops of the dividers flop over the lenses. and I carry the E-M10 with the 14-150 mm pointed down in the center and the camera body running E-W on top of the dividers. The 25mm could be replaced by a bigger lens (twice as long and a bit wider). The camera screen and strap just fit in under the top flap. A large zippered pocket on the front which gets covered by the flap, holds spare battery, spare SD card, CPL Polarizer, that fits both zooms, and the 9mm BCL Fisheye.
Nice no-slip shoulder strap, small carry loop. And the flap velcro fastens or you can fold the velcro to the side and use a more secure Nylon strap/latch.

I can carry this just about all day with the three lenses (four if you count the BCL) and its a nice snug but not too tight fit - very little wasted space. If I need, I can swap lenses I have on the body and still they all fit. It's easy to open the flap and take the Camera + lens out while the bag hangs from your shoulder. 9" wide, 8.5" high and 5.5 inches thick.
Oh, yeah there's another thin pocket on the back. It'll take a small sheaf of 8.5 x 11 paper folded in half like maps and stuff.

Perfect for my E-M10. When I go on vacation and limit my camera gear, this is it. It then fits in a medium-small backpack if i need it to, with room for a jacket or sweater and travel documents, medicines and cell phone as well. So I can be down to one carry-on (backpack with Messenger bag inside) plus a full laptop case.

And if I need to go out and protectively carry one camera with lens mounted, I would do it with this bag as well. Then it would be really light. But it won't fit in your pocket.

Last edited:

barry

Super Moderator
ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 5 will probably fit a body with a prime or compact zoom.
I have the 10, and it fits my E-M1 with 12-40mm.

Latest threads

Top Bottom