1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Snow in the South:Alabama

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Djarum, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I posted this on serious compacts as well.

P2124157.JPG

P2124155.JPG

And just after sunrise.

P2134174.JPG

P2134169.JPG

P2134172.JPG

P2134166.JPG

We got about 5 inches. Some areas got 8 inches. Unusual for our parts to get this much snow.

• Like Like x 4
  2. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    It's the most snow I have seen in Alabama since I moved here in 96 Here are a couple of shots I took yesterday

P2123471.

P2123469.

P2123455.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Luis,

I think we had more total snowfall back in 2011. We got 7" over in providence then. This was about 5".

4. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    You are right. I remember having to work from home for a few days a few years ago.

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The weather guys sure did blow yesterdays forcast though. I worked all day yesterday while my girlfriend's work closed for the day.

Its good to see a fellow Huntsvillian with a mft camera. I've been shooting with one since 2009.

6. lwnexgen

lwnexgen Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 2, 2013
    Have any of you lived in a cold weather climate before? Are the roads worse than they would be there, notwithstanding the non-existent snow-removal infrastructure, or are things mostly messed up because there aren't any plows out?

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    My experience in the south it is the ice and not the snow that is the problem. Usually there is ice right before or after a snowfall.

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    My experience so far is that ice is sometimes the problem, other times just the amount of snow, when we get it.

Tuesday morning there was quite a bit of ice on the road. I went out about 8 and ended up coming back because there was a sheet of ice up on the hill. Today when I left, it was mostly hard packed snow. My car really didn't have ground clearance for it.

We don't really have much in the way of snow plows. They have 5 or 6 salt/sand trucks in the city, but does nothing for the county where many people live.

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yeah, us Yankees don't use sand in urban areas, it does not work. We have many different types of expensive salt based on temperature. We have more snow plows/salt trucks in our village of 25K than I have ever seen out in Atlanta.

10. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    I live in North Carolina, where a couple of inches of snow can close schools for 3 or 4 days. The problem is that the major roads are cleared, but the smaller roads and especially the subdivision and neighborhood roads, are never plowed. What often happens is that there is a small amount of melting during the day and then it freezes at night. The process can repeat for several days if the conditions are right. Since most students are bused to school and the back roads are treturous because of the ice, school is cancelled. Many business also close or open later in the day after the back roads become less icy.

11. lwnexgen

lwnexgen Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 2, 2013
    Interesting - up here in Wisconsin you always hear the jokes - '1.5" of snow in Atlanta and the city goes to hell' but I figured that there had to be something more to it than just not plowing. A few inches of unplowed snow can be a pain in the ass but if it is like the stuff up here there's no way even a southern city could be shut down for days at a time because of it. Turns out it is ice!

12. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I just got mine in April of last year. I've added the 40-150, the 17 1.8 and the 45 to the kit. It packs nicely in a somewhat small LowePro bag.

13. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I got my EPM1 in April 2013 and added the 17, 45 and 40-150. It's a great and small kit.