Snorkeling? Panasonic 14mm or Sigma 30mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pcnyc, Aug 14, 2013.

1. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    So I have a working e-pm1 that was dropped and got a crack on the housing. Since I don't care if it breaks or not anymore, I thought why not get one of those ziploc bags and use it for snorkeling for my upcoming trip to Hawaii? So I got this: DiCAPac WP610 Large Camera Waterproof Case for Canon, G5, 7, 9: Camera & Photo

Tested in a sink, no leaks. Now I need a cheap lens to go with it, and in my bag I have a Sigma 30 and Panny 14. Leaning toward 14, but I wonder if I should go with the longer reach... that and the 30mm is sub $100. my thinking:

Panny 14mm
    - wide angle seems more logical for snorkeling, as I'll be in shallow water.
    - f/2.5 vs 2.8 might help a little since I won't use a flash.
    - wide angle means camera shake has less effect?
    - less overlap with the PL25 I'm bringing to use on land.

Sigma 30mm:
    - cheaper so I won't be as sad if things go wrong.
    - longer reach so I don't have to get close.

I also have a Oly 45mm that can fit in the case, but I am not sure if I want to put that much money in a ziploc.

Also, any tips for snorkeling photography anyone can share?

2. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2011
    When I am underwater I always want a wider lens.
  3. sam_nl

sam_nl Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013
    +1 for the 14mm
    Will take my GF3 with 14mm underwater in 2 weeks time when visiting Greece.
    Really hope it stays dry :cool: I bought a similar ziplock bag!
  4. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I think the 14 would be best. You cannot shoot too far underwater anyway. I have used the DicaPac "bags" a few times with a point and shoot. They do work very well.

My advice. The bags do not leak as far as I could tell but with me screwing around with the lens cover on the bag and maybe opening it up for various reasons, I always seemed to be able to get a drop or two of water in the bag. We are in a wet area when using it. Getting to the advice... I would place some dry cloth (just a small swatch the size of a lens cleaning cloth) on either side of the camera. Just stuff it in the bag out of the way of any buttons. If some small drop of water finds its way into the bag, the cloth should wick it up. A dry camera is a happy camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Don't forget the older Sigma 19 as a compromise.

Though if you are shooting moray eels I recommend the Sigma 60mm ;)
  6. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I thought about the 19mm and the old 17mm 2.8, too, but I just want to stick to the lens I have.

I like the cloth idea, I did notice while testing that water droplets lingering around the ziploc can get inside when opening the bag.

So I am going with the 14mm, can't wait!
  7. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    14mm won't look as wide when you get underwater, I seem to think.