1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sneak Peek from my Phase One medium format camera shoot ;)

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by jambaj0e, Apr 11, 2012.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    So writing for SLRLounge.com has its perks. One of which was the chance to have the highly coveted Phase One medium format camera with the 80 megapixel IQ180 digital back for one week! With three lenses, I was lugging around $60,000 worth of camera! Whew!

So here is a sneak peek of one of my fashion photoshoots that I did for the camera and for our review on SLRLounge.com

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Regards,
    Joe Gunawan | fotosiamo.com
    Fotosiamo Fotografie by Joe Gunawan

Editor at SLRLounge.com

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Very nice, Joe! Which lenses did you get with it, and which did you take that photo with?

• Like Like x 1
  3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Thank Ned! I shot this with the 80mm Schneider LS f/2.8. Great camera and set of lenses, but the autofocusing is a real challenge, especially with the shallow DOF. Even at f/11, I can still miss the critical focus on the eye!

4. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I do miss the medium format, going back to mu4/3. Ideally, I'd like to skip FF camera entirely and go straight to medium format for my commercial and fashion work =)

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Great shot and interesting to read what you say about AF - I used to shoot studio in analogue days with everything from 6x6 / 6x7 / 4x5 and as now (apart from 4x5 that needed tripod mounting) the other Hasselblads & RB/RZ67's were heavy and cumbersome to hand hold.

Nowadays we have the pleasure of very high quality digital cameras that are smaller & lighter yet replicate the medium format quality (Leica S2), I have a friend who shoots product with phase one backs and even he is considering switching to DSLR due to improved quality and drastically different pricing.

It is not very often he needs images in the hundreds of meg size wise and publishers printing to A4 single/double spread get all the quality they need from high res DSLR images.

Now I no longer work professionally in photography, I am happy to stick with my D700 for airshows etc and use my X100 for general work and my Mu43 for my travel work such as my recent India photos - 571 Photography

I do question the actual demand/need for Phase one backs of 80meg producing images of hundreds of megs in size in the current climate where we have high quality DSLRs and the like of the S2?

Must have or need to have comes to mind.

6. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    How did you like the Leica S2? I know that it's pretty much the only other integrated MF camera w/ no separate backs. As for the need for the MF camera for professional work, I think for high-end fashion, architectural, and precision technical/product work, the extra bit of detail can surely help you get the most out of the subject/object.

But after working with such a big file only to downsize it for web use, one can arguably say that that would be overkill, haha!

7. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Any chance you had your m43 gear with you and took a side by side comparison shot???? :cool:

8. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    What really stunned me was seeing a 100% image from this back. You can see it here:
    Phase One IQ180 review | Cameralabs
    The image, even though it's just a test shot, is breathtaking.

10. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Yea, it is! Essentially, the level of details that you can get from a tight headshot with a full-frame camera, you can get that for a full-body shot with a medium format camera!

11. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Cool stuff! I wonder how the Nikon D800, with its 36MP, compares to MF cameras (yes, there is I know there is still the sensor size difference... and price tag :biggrin: )

12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    wow, that's pretty awesome... I really want to try one of the mamiya's with the RZ set up.

Did they give you a gun and handcuffs to walk around with that rig though?

13. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Haha, I wish I have at least the handcuffs, just in case. Crazy thing was that I got it on Saturday and couldn't get my photography insurance coverage to go from $10,000 rental coverage to $60,000 rental coverage until Monday. That Sat and Sun was kinda nerve racking. If I lost the case, I'd have to sell my car and I'd only be halfway to paying it back =P

14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'd bet that it's about the same as the difference between an E-P3 and D800. People will be holding their own backyard tests, comparing 800x600 crops and convincing themselves that there's no difference and that they somehow beat the system by getting "identical" performance in a much smaller and cheaper package, but at the end of the day, it is what it is.

15. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Ianski, thanks for providing your 571 Photography link. Amazing images to aspire to.

-Chrome

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    First, great photos, thanks for sharing!

I was curious though about the AF. In the studio, isn't it easier to use Live View to get critical focus? Thanks,

DH

17. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    The Live View isn't that great, since it's a CCD sensor vs a CMOS sensor. Usually, CCD sensors, which all medium format cameras uses, don't even have Live View, and if they do, they seem pretty bad. At least this one seems unusable.

I couldn't tether, either, since I don't have Firewire on my laptop

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Oh, I see. That's rough. Seems like LV would be a no-brainer with an 80MP sensor! I guess if the AF is accurate enough though, one can get by without LV. Thanks,

DH

19. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    The technology for Live View is just isn't there for CCD sensors. CMOS sensors would be even more expensive to make for medium format sizes. That would be the next step in technology for MF cameras, hopefully.

AF could probably be more accurate, but w/ the shallow DOF, it's hard. I do like Hasselblad's True Focus system, though, where when you focus and recompose, it senses your tilt/yaw and readjust your AF accordingly to compensate for the shift in focus plane when you focus and recompose.

But Pentax 645D, with it's 11-AF points and 9 Cross-points, is considered state-of-the-art and the best AF on all MF, even if it's still clustered tightly around the center

• Like Like x 1