Snapshot versus Serious Photography.....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Tom Swaman, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Have any of you thought about the benefits of segregating this section of our great forum into two separate sections to better address the issues of our participants? We are all different and we have different experience levels, but most important is the fact that some of us only desire to take snapshots and the thought of PP and printing a 16 inch X 20 inch fine print is totally foreign. Others of us are essentially into IQ and LR3/CS5 or some other softwares and we want to learn about details, control and fine points od advanced photography. Am I alone in thinking that the best answers and siggestions for the snapshot photographer may most often difffer from that information shared with the srious devotee of the art and science of photography?

Soooo, you all, what do you think of splitting this section into two sections?

Best regards,
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I think you run the risk . . .

. . . of segregating the forum into Professional vs. Amateur. Many of us fall in between - I have LR3 & CS5, a Canon 40D with lenses, battery grip, filters, etc as well as two studio lights and backdrops - but I am not a professional photographer. I do very little printing and I rarely exceed 8X10 prints. I am an enthusiastic hobbiest who shoots snapshots and serious photos.
    Given the friendly nature of this forum I would hate to see it divided, possibly drawing "serious" photographers away from helping new members who are interested in learning. I'm not saying that would happen, but the potential is there.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

I agree that I would hate to see the forum divided. By the same token, we owe it to channel information differently to the snapshot photographer relative to the more sophisticated photographer. At least, I think if this were done well, all would substantially benefit. I am thinking of a number of threads I have read in the last month or so and I am specifically trying to avoid giving examples here as I want to be constructive and not destructive.

Maybe what we need is a Snapshooter's Corner or Casual Photographer's Corner. Clearly the forums are open to all so each individual can seek their own level. I hate to see someone serious about photography bogged down because of their point-and shoot's shutter lag and not realize their problem. I also hate to see a snapshooter trying to figure out how to customize white balance with their GH2.

Oh well, maybe Pandora's Box ought best remain sealed.

Best regards,
  4. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    But who's to say which is which? I'd just read the threads that interest you and ignore those that don't.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What about the snapshotter who wants to get better?

I like it the way it is. I'm not into PP and so avoid that forum altogether.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Well Tom.. how good could *anyone* in the Panasonic forum be, right?

It's not like there's a "Red-Dot" on the camera with a f0.01 "LumiLux" lens.

Aren't all photo's simply snap-shot's- usually with wildly varying degrees of preparation?

• Like Like x 2
  7. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Well if you seperate the pros from the amatureswhat happens is when someone has a difficult problem or concern with thier equipment or wants to know what equipment to get? You'll have a mediocre answer at best from someone who is at thier same level, or worse yet, you'll get a misleading answer from someone who doesnt know junk and then youll have people spending money on adpaters that dont fit...

Photography for as an art for people of my age group and my area is fading, mainly becuase of the cost of the equipment, software, ect... and secondly, theres are not too many people around who are willing to teach the art, skills, tips & tricks... So the few and far between who do get into it (myself) seek knowledge and wisdom of people online and on forums like this hoping that theres somebody out there that has the knowledge and willingness to share these things...

If i had to come to this forum and be catagorized into the "Amature" or "Point and Shoot" then i simply would not be interested... i dont think i would want the advice of amatures, id rather look in the mirror and talk to myself.

Anyone ( and many do ) can go get a G3 with the AF lens included and whine and complain ( and many do ) as to why thier pictures are not as sharp as the next man's. It takes the eye and expertese of a pro photographer to help amatures like myself progress towards novice skills and techniques... I bought my G1 solely for the purpose that i could use adapted lenses no matter how old they were, any M4/3 camera with an AF lens, to me, is the equivilent of running around with a point and shoot, a monkey could take pictures with a lens that does all the work for you, thats just me

Anyway, I do not think splitting up skill levels would help anyone, not even the "pros"
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Perhaps asking Amin to add a forum under "share pictures" called "casual shooting" or "family snap shots" or something like that? The folks who want to be far more casual could have a place to share their OOC JPGS without fear of the RAW/technical folks showing up (though we would anyway)? Just a thought...
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Problem I see is: The best person to answer the question of an inexperienced photographer is an experienced photographer.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    I'm usually able to tell what kind of photography a particular thread is aimed at. It's nice to be able to choose from everything.

It was suggested to Annie Leibovitz that she divide her work into the family and professional parts. She said she wouldn't, because she was just one photographer regardless of the subject. I liked that.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. arbutusq

arbutusq Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    What about guys like me who didn't go pro because of lack of marketing skill?

To me the whole point of forums is so that people of different levels can interract and share ideas. I learn from every image I see whether it is a snapshot or carefully composed landscape from a pro.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Seem s to me that if you have bought into the micro 4/3 system, then you are already aiming to get better photos than you could with a simple point and shoot.

From what I see , most newbie type questions are answered quickly and clearly by the collective community here... To me the joy of this forum is both helping people up the ladder as well as looking up the ladder to the next level

• Like Like x 4
  13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I agree with Kevin.

To add more to it though, this is a place for both sharing and learning. We all have different experiences, and even sometimes the new guy teachs the old guy new tricks.

This forum includes members who are just starting out in photography, to those moving up from serious compact cameras, to amature enthusiasts, and professionals making money in photography. With such a wide blend of members, I feel we all have alot to learn from each other.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Photography is an endeavor which can deliver a lifetime of new experiences and learning.
    The snapshot taker should be seeking advice to refine their images and image taking into a higher class of photography. The experienced/professional* photog should be seeking new challenges, expanding their portfolio of exceptional photographs and upping their percentage rate of 'keepers'.

While segregating the two would make many snapshot takers less intimidated and seasoned photogs less frustrated ... you deprive the snapshot takers of inspiration, photographic goals and a wealth of information. For the experienced photogs it is nice and actually magnanimous to help others by sharing your skills, experiences and images.

If this was a competitive forum, then yeah grouping all into a single pot is not fair to the snap-taker. But this is not that type of site (except for the give-aways). If a snap-taker is intimidated and reluctant to post, the a simple caveat explaining their photographic level should suffice in keeping the big dogs at bay (this is such a benign site I really don't see that as necessary).

* I am using 'professional' to denote a quality of photographic skill not an accounting term.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

My thoughts and your words are one and the same.

Wow, did I unintentionally open a can of worms. I had zero intentions, as originally stated in separating pros from amateurs, not helping anyone or inhibiting anyone from advancing. I had the intention of trying to offer a better separation of focus on two branches of photography. My thoughts had zero to do with PP other than to suggest that the average person who takes casual pictures by desire, may also have a desire to not become interested indoing their own highly software dominated PP, i.e. they might simply want to focus on taking pictures. Getting better for this group might involve learning about composition and exposure as opposed to learning how to read the MTF curve of one lens versus another. In any event, this is a forum and your inputs are all very interesting.

I do have one more comment. No, I do not consider all photographs to be snapshots other than the caoture time of a ohotograph is typically only a arepesentation of an image in an instant of time. I spent much of my life doing scientific photography, photo micrography, UV photography, scanning electron microphotography and macro photography. True, the release of the shutter constitutes a snapshot, but the nature of planning, setup and image design are far from casualand they often lend themselves to multiple shooting sessions that are often not available to the casual/snapshot photographer.

In conclusion, my thoughts were to help elevate the photographer's photographic accumen and not to belittle the snappshot or casual pjotographer while exalting the pro or idiot savant! My thoughts were positive folks, not negative!!!!!

Best regards,
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, whether a photo is a snapshot or not has little if nothing to do with Post Processing. What defines a snapshot is the lack of care and attention put into the setup of the scene. This could include setting up proper lighting and posing of models and objects within the scene, or even just careful setup of camera and lenses.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. sevenil

sevenil Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    Who is this Annie Leibovitz, does she post here or on the Olympus forum?
    • Like Like x 2
  18. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010 if this place doesn't have enough sub-forums.
  19. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    Is there such a big difference between professionals and amateurs ?

no, I don't think so...
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks for your post. As I understand the difference between professional and amateur photographer, this is simply that a professional photographer charges for their time and work product and an amateur does not. Frankly, I have seen what I consider to be a whole lot of amateur photography that is a whole lot better than some of the professional photography I have encountered.

FYI, please note the original intent of my obviously unsucceddful idea did not include any distinction between amateur and professional photography. Someone once said, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

Best regards,