1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Snapseed for Mac Desktops/Laptops

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by leonberdi, Jan 13, 2012.

1. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    I believe that it was just released today, and can be purchased for $19 at the Mac App store. I know that the Android/iOS versions already have glowing reviews. So, I wanted to open a forum to hear from others regarding their experience with the desktop version.

Do you see yourself using it regularly?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Thanks for the heads up. It seems to work very well. I like the colour effects a lot and the Detail section is a great sharpening tool. Here's a couple of edits of files I was already quite pleased with. I think these are better than I could do in Aperture but there's less control than with Silver Efex. Still well worth the money, I'd say. The Aperture/SEP2 versions are a little further down my photostream if you click on these.

6689561567_c25c510505_z.
    Redline Snapseed version by Mark Bowerman, on Flickr

6689560377_89c1fbe5b2_z.
    Austin Snapseed version by Mark Bowerman, on Flickr

3. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    Thanks. That's precisely what I was looking for. Your pics look great! Was it faster to work with than Aperture? By a longshot?

Overall, do you think it is a worthwhile purchase for someone who already has Aperture?

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I have it on the iPad and now on my Mac. TBH, I prefer the UI on the iPad, but the file management on the iPad gets in the way. The filters and effects are great, though.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I think it depends on your Aperture/Photoshop skill level. I'm not that good at colour processing so having a choice of preset but still adjustable styles suits me for that purpose. It has control point editing too. I think for the money it's well worth having.
    The black and white section is very crude compared with Silver Efex Pro especially the filter effects but that's not really a surprise. It is definitely quick to use but watch out for oversharpening in the detailer.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Snapseed question

Are you getting these images from your files, or are they fresh off a card? If from a file, would you please give me a quick method how to do this?

Thank you
    kanasgowatom

7. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    These pictures were shot as jpegs and imported fom the SD card into iPhoto. To process drag and drop from the iPhoto browser into Snapseed, process as desired then File>Export to iPhoto from the Snapseed menu. iPhoto then reimports the finished file into a new event from the temporary folder. I find the file handling a bit clunky but it works and it's $20. The effects are a selection from the Nik plugin suite. Go and have a look at the videos on the Nik site.

• Like Like x 1