1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Snapping Turtle

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Tecpatl4, May 26, 2011.

1. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    Found this in the road near my mailbox today. There is a small creek next door.

turtle2.

turtle1.

• Like Like x 2
  2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I like the POV of the first shot. It's kind of like "Man I have a long way to go ... "

3. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    I'd have to agree with sprinkle. That first shot is great.

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Photographer's advice: take a quick snap before he does.

5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Ahhh Hikari, back to the classic one liners..... good.

Tecpatl4,

Nice capture. This is the time of year they seem duty bound to cross whichever street is closest to them.

I usually stop, used to carry a broken broom handle in my truck, let em latch on then carry them across the rest of the way.

the snappers look so prehistoric. I wonder what they did a few thousand years ago when there were no streets to cross?

6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Apparently, the caveman did not carry a big enough stick. Survival of the fittest...

7. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    We think this is the same turtle my mom saw the other day. The lady across the street asked her son to carry it down to the other end of the street where the creek goes into the woods. We have several small children in the houses nearby. Of course being a teenager, he just carried it down to the next house and put it in the weeds there.

He wasn't trying to cross the road, he was just having some sun. After almost poking his nose with my lens, I suppose he had had enough and headed for the water