Snapped a pic of my daughter

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by PhilS, Jun 18, 2013.

1. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    My children are somewhat camera shy...and I was surprised when one wanted to have a play with one of my cameras...

Comments and improvements welcome.. its how I learn..

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/95752256@N03/9064702867/" title="Malika &amp; the GH2 B&amp;W by philipsavory, on Flickr"> 9064702867_0be4ea9e2d. "500" height="375" alt="Malika &amp; the GH2 B&amp;W"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/95752256@N03/9066956806/" title="Malika &amp; the GH2 by philipsavory, on Flickr"> 9066956806_503eef7c54. "500" height="375" alt="Malika &amp; the GH2"></a>

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I'm camera shy too, but I still love being behind the camera.

Beautiful captures. I especially like the first one. She has a very inquisitive gaze and posture, and it makes you wonder what it is that has caught her attention

Edit: The only minor nitpick I can make is to have the bright green leaf marked here either cloned out or have its highlights dropped. My eyes keep going towards that bright spot, but maybe its just me. Again, just a nitpick. I hope you don't mind that I marked and reposted your photo

Attached Files:

3. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    :thumbup:
    I like them both. She looks really focused on what she is doing .

4. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    uci2ci.. thanks for the feedback.. its comments like these I am after.. I totally missed the leaf.. and ya, its distracting.

5. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    the photos really convey that!

if you insist on a comment/critique, I would probably have included the whole camera, if not the whole left arm on the framing of the first photo. a couple of steps back and that would have been in.

6. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    She is a shooter for sure...Better get ready to get her set up with her own gear! Nice shots.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I like the pensive, intense look in the first shot. The crop in the first image is a bit too tight, the hand appears from out of nowhere. As a general 'rule' try not to crop on joints, but show a bit of the limb, ala your second image.

Gary

8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    The first is killer, really nice and I wouldn't change a thing.

On the second, I agree with Sam re cloning out that leaf.
    Also, I think the second is just a tiny bit 'flat'. I'd overall exposure up just a tiny bit, just a nudge....then with the brush I'd work on brightening her face just nudge as well and try bring out the highlights in her her just a little....just to give her face and hair that little bit of subtle pop.

Thanks for sharing.

9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thats a great tip Gary.....you taught me that once with my Raven images. Haven't forgotten since.

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL, and Ravens get very upset if you clip them on the short end.

11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I agree with Gary's feedback on cropping but great captures and I guess your days with your current kit are numbered!!

12. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    Thanks for all the great feedback, pretty invaluable information.. I can see my gear being "borrowed" a bit as my children get older.