Snap S-AF with 20mm on the E-M1 doesn't work

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I know everybody complains about the slow AF of the 20mm, especially on Olympus bodies... but this isn't it. I'm okay with the AF speed.

The problem I'm finding is that if I try to snap focus with the 20mm on the E-M1 (fully press the shutter without pausing for focus confirmation) then the lens never focusses correctly. There's a weird delay and it the shutter releases during the AF cycle, leading to an OOF shot almost every single time.

I've checked, and the Rls Priority S setting is Off ("If On is selected, the shutter can be released even when the camera is not in focus in S-AF"). Bizarrely, snap focussing using the touch screen is fine, with the shutter firing after focus is attained. It means I'll have to be extra careful to confirm focus when using the shutter button.

I've used seven other Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies through the years, and never had any compatibility issues except with this combination. :shakehead:

Can others confirm whether this problem occurs on other Olympus bodies?

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
I feel this happens to me with all my lenses... but I have no hard evidence to that effect, except that I always use the touch screen release as it works so flawlessly compared to mashing the shutter.

I don't have the 20mm, but I feel my 15mm does the same. I'll try to test a bit this morning.

johnvanatta

Mu-43 Veteran
I tried it out on an EM-1.2. I almost never shoot this way intentionally, a fun change of pace just mashing the shutter and seeing what happens. I can confirm your findings: tried the Oly 75, Sigma 30, and Panny 20--the first two hit focus, the Panny was repeatedly off. It certainly looks like it's firing before the final fine-tuning parts of the focusing algorithm run. 80% of the way there, but much, much worse than with just a half second of delay before the release.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
I thought this was normal behaviour. I find unless I get focus confirmation for any lens on my G85 the chances of good focus are minimal. I often press twice to try and better my odds of getting focus. I find that the most frustrating part of my using my current gear getting focus.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
The only time I shoot this way is with my active preschooler. I also use the touch shutter to get moving people on the street. I wouldn't do it with the 20mm since it focuses too slowly, but it's just disconcerting to know that with this lens unless you positively wait with the shutter release it will always fail.

I tried it out on an EM-1.2. I almost never shoot this way intentionally, a fun change of pace just mashing the shutter and seeing what happens.
Thanks for confirming, a bit disappointing that it still occurs. I might see if I can contact Olympus about it... they just need to change the AF to match whatever happens when using touch shutter.

I thought this was normal behaviour. I find unless I get focus confirmation for any lens on my G85 the chances of good focus are minimal.
Odd, I dont have this problem on my GX850 (and I don't remember it being a problem with the GM1, GM5 or GF7 previously).

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Do you use Anti-Shock S-AF? I mostly use that on both E-M1 models (even though I probably don't need to on the Mk II) & sequentially, so I may get the better image on the second or third frame if the first wasn't the best.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Do you use Anti-Shock S-AF? I mostly use that on both E-M1 models (even though I probably don't need to on the Mk II) & sequentially, so I may get the better image on the second or third frame if the first wasn't the best.
I do use anti-shock S-AF most of the time. I just tried it with sequential - it's no better since the AF is locked after the first frame.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
M43 bodies, lenses and flash are compatible. But they don’t always work as perpectly as the owners want them to. I have tested and sreered clear of the P20mm as it does not work asI want it to.

Giiba

I've tried everything I could think of to replicate your symptoms with my 15/1.7 but I couldn't. Mashing the shutter button I could get the camera to release with the wrong part in focus (usually the background) or to fail and not take a picture.

Perhaps it is a setting? Or trying to take pictures of (unpredictable) toddlers? I swear I have experienced the behaviour, but right now it isn't happening.

Giiba

Here we are, a picture of my daughter:
OI000070.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So... maybe it is an e-m1 issue as the 12-40 should be as bug free as can be. This was one of a rapid s-af series of 6-7 pictures mashing the shutter.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I've tried everything I could think of to replicate your symptoms with my 15/1.7 but I couldn't. Mashing the shutter button I could get the camera to release with the wrong part in focus (usually the background) or to fail and not take a picture.

Perhaps it is a setting? Or trying to take pictures of (unpredictable) toddlers? I swear I have experienced the behaviour, but right now it isn't happening.
I have the PL15 too. It does not do it with that lens. Also, I'm getting this with a totally static, high contrast subject, 100% reproducible on every single shot. If I just wait for focus confirmation, it nails it every time.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom