1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Smuggling GF2 in a concert and photography tips

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jair, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jair

jair Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    So, there is a Garbage concert in Amsterdam tomorrow and I wan't to smuggle my trusty GF2+oly45 pass the security. I think the policy is like other places - no ILC allowed. Which one do you think is the best option:

1. Put the GF2 in the pocket with the body cap, pretend it is a P&S. Put the oly lens in the purse of my friend. Problem here is if the security is alert he might figure out what is going on and I can't claim "I didn't know" when obviously I separated the lens on purpose to trick him.

2. Put the GF2+20mm pancake and the 45mm in the purse of my friend. This has the advantage that I can claim innocence and the disadvantage that the camera is much bulkier, thus it is easier to attract attention. Problem is also if they find the other lens...

3. Just go with the GF2 and Oly 45 attached. If I pass, I pass. If not, oh well, maybe next time. Advantage here is that I can claim that I didn't knew the rules and they will probably let me in the club if I leave the camera back in the car.

Which one do you think is best? Maybe I am overthinking this, but I definitely don't want to miss the concert just because I am trying to be smart. At the same time I want to take some nice pictures :)

Which brings me to the second point. Can you recommend me what should I do to bring home some adequate pictures? What I am thinking is Aperture Priority, wide open, iso 800(highest one I can barely tolerate on the GF2) and spot metering from the face of the performer.

Then again, maybe I can do Manual mode and fix the shutter speed to 1/60, which should bring sharp pictures. And just shoot in bulk, hoping that I will catch the occasional well illuminated moment.

All I want is some nice pictures as a memories from the concert, I definitely dont plan to spoil it with fiddling the camera the entire time, I am basically looking at the most bulletproof simple method that will bring reasonable photos.

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I would go with 3, or not bring it. Have you tried emailing or calling the place for a definitive answer on what is/isn't allowed? Worst case you use your cell phone for some pretty low grade pics, but you remember you were there.

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Some places do allow cameras in. Just this past weekend, I brought my camera bag with the OM-D and 75/1.8 to a Grace Potter & The Nocturnals concert. Didn't try to conceal it. And I'm sure the security people saw me using it, especially since that lens is silver. Worked like a charm. Best of luck to you! Hope you get some good snaps. :)

4. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    I've taken an EP-3 with the 45 (and no viewfinder) into a concert with similar restrictions and nobody said anything. I think they were more concerned with large cameras with long lenses.

You may want to set the shutter at 60 (or 120) and use auto iso. Problem is the concert I was at, 800 would not make it. I was up around 1600-3200. But, the lighting at your concert may be better.

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    How was the show?

Please post some shots of Grace!

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I usually take the 20mm or even the smaller 14mm with my Gx1 if I am.not sure of the policies. I don't have the 45mm though. I am sure it is a lot better unless you can walk right up to the stage.
    I am not sure if Gf2 has the Extra teleconversion feature but if it does it is really handy for concert video with those
    small pancakes as it doubles your reach

Use spot metering for lighter parts of face, use Raw and burst mode. Watch shutter
    speed. You want it as high as possible.

Hiding lens in bag - I once had security guard look in my bag and ask me what it was. I said it was part of the camera. He politely informed me that it was a lens. Thankfully it was not a problem for that club so I just have a funny story to tell. But imagine the same guy working in a place where they tell him to stop people with cameras. He will know what to look for.

7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Ooh that sounds like a perfect combo. The 75 and the Ibis. I had to make do with 20mm on my Gx1. Not much in the way of close up photos from my balcony seat but video with Etc focal length doubling was OK. Does Olympus have this feature for video?

Grace Potter was awesome wasn't she? Way better than on records, just a wild fury of bottomless energy. What a voice! I had a chance to score a cheap ticket for a second night and was rewarded with a slightly different setlist. Only took the camera first day though.

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Ask first?

I'd call the venue and ask about the policy; my (limited) experience has been that it's not the 'interchangeable lens' factor that they object to, it's folks like me that try to bring in a D300 with a 70-200 f/2.8 lens attached that they object to. Let 'em know that your "ILC" is very small, as are the lenses.

A DSLR with a large telephoto lens attached can get in other people's way, and can be a safety hazard in a crowd.

An OM-D EM-5 (for example) with a 35-100 f/2.8 lens attached is miniscule by comparison and the venue may not object even though it is an "ILC".

Before breaking the rules it's always good to see if the rule maker will bend them for you. :wink:

If they say "no problem", get the name of the person you talked to and the date/time of the call so that you can reference that to security should you be questioned.

If they say "no can do" then it's the perfect opportunity to buy a Fuji X-100. :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

9. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    I hope you get caught and detained until the show is over. It's too much to hope for, but maybe your camera and lenses will be confiscated. Shame on you!

And shame on the moderator for allowing a post requesting advice on how to do something dishonest!!!

10. jair

jair Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    I posted on their FB wall, but it seems my post dissapeared. Wanted to get it in written. Will call them tomorrow, thanks. I'll just go with the oly 45 and not play stupid games.

:)

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    At the Hollywood Bowl I use your tactic number two. I have the GF1 with the P14mm or P20mm in a little case for security to inspect, then zipped-locked and foil wrapped the P100-300 up like a burrito and tossed it into the cooler (the Bowl allows you to bring food and drink for the performances).

At other venues I'd toss the telephoto into the zipped inside pocket od a jacket I'd hand carry into the event.

Never fails.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  12. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I'm not sure if the OM-D's 2x digital teleconverter works for video. It's just like cropping and I am a stickler for not wanting to crop. If only the 150/2.8 from Panny was available already or if Oly were indeed to release the 40-150 fast zoom. Either would've been the perfect combo. Hehe..

Grace was surely quite the firecracker. I posted a couple of shots with my combo on my P7-14/4's swan song image thread.

13. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Best. Concert. Ever. I did post some shots on my P7-14/4's Swan Song image thread. I got away with getting shutter speeds of 1/250-500 with an ISO of 1600 with f/1.8. She jumps all around the stage and necessitated very fast shutter speeds.

14. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    As per Demiro's request, presenting Grace Potter in concert...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/yekimrd/8194841135/" title="Grace by yekimrd, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="Grace"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/yekimrd/8194936783/" title="GPN by yekimrd, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="GPN"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/yekimrd/8194841469/" title="Nocturnals by yekimrd, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="Nocturnals"></a>

• Like Like x 5
  15. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    And I say "oohh la la la la la la la" !! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  16. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    LOL you would hope that someone is detained and have hundreds of dollars of equipment confiscated because it would offend your moral sensibilities that someone could circumvent a (probably silly) camera rule--as I think it's safe to say you're not taking pictures for commercial purposes with that gf2. Talk about a victimless crime.

Perhaps you could hope they get thrown in jail? Exile from the country?

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Good luck getting insurance re-imbursement if your equipment is confiscated when the rules clearly state that you can't bring it it....

I almost lost a DSLR by bringing it to an event where photography was prohibited (stupidity on my part because I missed the sign) :redface: - Luckily I formatted my card and I was able to walk out with all my gear....

18. jair

jair Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    I think it was meant as a joke, as I used a little bit harsh words like "smuggling" for something fairly innocent. At least I am taking it this way :)

19. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Look at option #3 - it provides an honest approach. The OP was asking for advice - so advise an honest approach (Which many others have done). I don't see a reason to delete the thread.

20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I believe that a confiscation of equipment or a deletion of the images is NOT allowed under the law. That would be theft as the venu does not own the equipment or the images. I believe technically, all the venu can do is kick you out and possibly press charges in civil court. If they attempt to do anything more than that ... call the cops. If you can cut a deal ... ala 'no charges if I erase the images', more power to you.

But I am not an attorney, just an unknown photog on the internet, so do a little research before you tell the venu security "I know my rights!!" just to make sure you do know your rights.

Unless laws have dramatically changed, taking unauthorized photos of an entertainer is not a crime (period). It is what you do with those unauthorized images which may cause harm having you end up defending yourself in civil court.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.