1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Smithsonian, Washington DC. Panny 14mm

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Alanroseman, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    We're on the road for a few days visiting family in the Washington Dc area.

Here a few from the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.

All GF1 / 14mm Panasonic / Aperture3 / NIK ColorEFX

From the Prehistoric Sea Exhibit

The Smithsonian Fossil Room. She is sorting thousands of tiny bones, age about 20,000 years form a cave in Polynesia.

1050935_-_Version_2.

Life Sized Mastodon which greets one upon entrance.

• Like Like x 5
  2. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Nice.

I used a Sony PnS at the Smithsonian and the cool multishot stacking features it has for low light photography impressed me enough to (almost) get an NEX.

It's nice to see you can get good results without any of that fancy processing.

3. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I really like your photos. On the first one, can I ask about the glare on the top right? Was it too dark to use a polarizer or did you just prefer the look of it?

If you were playing with light and dark, I will say I love the use of shadow in the second one--it really adds drama.

Anyway, great photos!

4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Top right in the first image. Note the small black upmost right corner. That is actually the soffit which covers the lighting.

That said, the lighting (Smithsonian Exhibit) is meant to look as though you are in the ocean, getting progressively brighter as one looks higher on the wall mural. The ocean creatures are painted as though they are being lit by the sun.

The second image is lit by her work lamp. Yes I used the shadows to increase the drama, as well as show her focus. Her own corner of the world.

Cheers, Alan