SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 - getting infinity focus right

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by punkman, Dec 30, 2011.

1. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    Hello guys, I just found this excellent forum and thought I'd share what I did today. I got an E-PL1 a couple of weeks ago and it's the first good camera I've used. I'm still getting the hang of it, so please excuse my ignorance.

4xGfRl.

eYm7ml.
    (These were taken with a borrowed Nikon compact. Finally done with that! ... but how do I take photos of all my cool dSLR gear? Seems like I need a second PEN body already. :p)

I found this lens on an old Pentax SLR and ordered an M42 adapter. Got it in the mail today. The adapter is made by Kiwifotos and feels pretty solid. I read the sticky thread about adapters and found out it's because the adapter has been made short. This is a bit annoying but I understand it's better for the manufacturer to make it a bit short and have it focus beyond infinity, rather than make it too long and being unable to focus to infinity at all.

I inserted a piece of regular A4 printer paper, which should be around 0.1 mm thick, between the adapter and the lens. It's ever so slightly thicker than what I need. I'm going to try making a few rings out of aluminum foil, which should be around 0.02 mm each. I'm guessing four of them should do it. Other suggestions also welcome.

A couple quick shots I took earlier, my manual focusing skills need work.

fDbLPl.
    stopped down a bit, I like it

92p6xl.
    f1.4, I think I missed the focus there, the center area is quite soft

I have the IS set to 50 mm focal length. Having read about equivalent focal lengths on mFT, should I change this to 100 mm?

Also, this might be a bit stupid, but how far should my target be when testing for infinity focus? Should I shoot with the lens wide open, or stop it down a bit?

2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I used foil in mine. When you're shimming an adapter place the shims between the mounting plate and the adapter body, and not between the lens and the mounting plate. This avoids changing the tension of the fit between the lens and adapter. Typically you can just unscrew the mounting plate and place the shims under it. Also be careful to place the shims evenly around the rim of the mounting plate to avoid bending it out of flat when you tighten the screws down.

The IS settings are based on the Focal Length printed on the lens, and not the crop factor equivalent. Native lenses with the electronic connection set the focal length for IS automatically, so you don't need to bother editing the value if you're switching back and forth between types.

3. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't considered that. However my adapter looks like it's a solid piece of metal. I tested for wobble with the piece of paper between the adapter and lens and it seemed fine. The lens only needs to move back 0.08 mm or so.

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    not to be picky about terms here....but my starter camera into the mu43 world was the epl1 too, and it's not a DSLR....there's no mirror, or 'single lens reflex' action going in the camera...

5. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    Adjust takumar lens

Hi,
    I saw your post and had to comment. I bought 3 takumar's last month and fell in love with them. I ended buying almost the all range...13 lens!
    Because some had fungus I had to open them up to clean them. That's when I found out you can easily adjust any Tak to focus to infinity with any camera/adapter!
    See here how to do it:
    infinity focus adjustment on M42 lenses - PentaxForums.com

6. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    I just shimmed my adapter with some of this metal repair tape that seems to have done the trick.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7074&stc=1&d=1325531991.

My 28mm 3.5 seems to be bang on while my 50 1.4 just goes a tiny bit past. This is with two layers of tape on.

Doing is this way means that my lenses are cocked a little to the right when they screw on. I'm not sure if this will bug me or not.

I would like to shim underneath the M42 mount but those tiny screws do not want to be unscrewed, it seems.

Attached Files:

7. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    I checked my aluminum foil and it was 0.011 mm thick. So I cut 10 rings with a small pair of scissors and now I have to decide how many to use exactly. It took a while to do this and I was a bit sloppy, but it's good enough. I think I'll make a template so people can print appropriately sized rings on an A4 piece of paper, transparency, film, etc.

RSilva, I'm liking the 50mm Takumar a lot so far but the magnification on the E-PL1 is a bit more than what I want for a walking-around lens. I think I will grab a 24 mm or 28 mm Takumar off Ebay. Do you have a preference between those two?

I also just bought the Panasonic 14 mm, so I think I might stick with that as my small prime lens for a while. Here's what my kit looks like so far, having spent around 450 GBP:

E-PL1
    M.Zuiko 14-42 mm(damaged in shipping, waiting on insurance)
    Panasonic 14 mm f2.5 (waiting for this to arrive)
    Takumar 50 mm f1.4 + M42 adapter
    No-name 25 mm f1.2 + C-mount adapter (with continuous aperture, might be nice for video)
    Extra BLS-1 battery
    Gorillapod Hybrid with Ballhead
    Lowepro camera bag

I also have a Nikon Series E 50 mm f1.8 in fairly good condition, but since the Takumar is faster, I don't think I will be getting an adapter for it. What I need now is maybe a macro lens and some filters for my Takumar. Any suggestions for a basic 3-4 piece set of filters I should get?

KS11, I'm aware of the difference between a dSLR and a large-sensor mirrorless camera, however I keep calling all of them dSLRs. What I really meant is that the E-PL1 is my first interchangeable lens camera, and also the first that lets me adjust aperture, shutter, etc. I'll try to remember this ;)

EDIT:

A few shots I've taken with the Takumar the last few days.

NIS8Wl.

2dLTNl.

Yo47Kl.

epy3al.

8. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
  9. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    Punkman,
    I bought the 24mm but Im still waiting for it. The 28mm is outstanding, it renders textures like no other lens I have tested and it produces beautiful colors. 24mm and 28mm makes 48mm and 56mm on a m4/3 body, it´s almost the same. Since the 28mm is much much cheaper I would go for it. The 28mm is also very easy to focus but be aware that it´s an f3.5 and therefore suited more for outdoors. I have both the Super Tak and SMC tak and both 28mm work just fine, no flare issues. The SMC Takumar 100mm is an excellent lens for macro work!

10. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    some gorgeous shots nevertheless Rsilva! yeah...i still remember the epl1 with fondness, its quite the capable camera, great choice for a mu43 camera.

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Regular aluminum foil is highly malleable; it will deform and wear under normal use. If your lens is cocked in one direction, then you are changing the plane of focus so that it's not parallel to the sensor any more. Either work with a machine shop to fix it correctly, live with the minor annoyance of past-infinity (many modern lenses don't have hard infinity stops, because the higher grade elements used in them are susceptible to temperature changes), return the adapter and tell them to send you a better copy, or buy yourself a half-decent adapter that is built to non-****ty tolerances. Otherwise, you are likely wasting your time putting a bandaid on a relative non-issue, and you may be doing more harm than good. My RJ Camera and Kipon adapters both provide perfect infinity focus.

12. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    Lovely photos KS11, pleasing colors, where were they taken? I'm divided between Africa or Asia for my next trip.

13. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    shnitz, thanks for the suggestion, I will grab an RJ or Kipon adapter when I get another M42 lens. I will keep the bandaid fix for now, as it saves multiple seconds when shooting subjects that are far enough. What is the result, if the plane of focus is not parallel to the sensor? I put a mark on the lens and the adapter, and it has moved about 15 mm with 0.08 mm worth of shims.

Edit:

Oh, I misunderstood. I don't think my shims cause the lens to tilt/swing towards any direction. The lens has simply rotated a few degrees.

14. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    That metal tape I was using seemed like it would stand up OK. When I said 'cocked' I just meant rotated in one direction, so the focus marks were on the side.

In the end though I agreed it wasn't really that big a deal. Pulled it off, I was pretty well used to how those lenses focused. Not worth getting another adapter.