1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Smallest sling strap?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by noohoggin1, Mar 5, 2013.

1. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Hi, friends! I've been looking around at sling straps for my OMD (and for my trip to Vietnam in a couple weeks--gasp!), and everywhere I seem to look, the straps seem to be pretty big/thick and geared more towards a bigger DSLR type camera.

I have seen some pics of the CarrySpeed Slim, but is that the smallest that is available? I'd like it to not overpower my small camera size, and don't want "overkill" for a Pen/OMD.

I'm not handy enough to make my own DIY solution (and I know some of you are excellent at it).

Any suggestions?

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    • Like Like x 2
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I occasionally use an OP/TECH Utility Strap Sling with my E-PL1 with good results. This appears to be roughly the same size as the CarrySpeed Slim you mentioned. The primary difference I see between the two is that the CarrySpeed is meant to mount via a plate on the tripod mount while the OP/TECH is designed to connect via the camera's lug. You would have to decide which is more convenient for you.

The thing I appreciate about the OP/TECH is that the same quick release can be snapped into the company's Wrist Strap which allows me another carrying option.

OP/TECH also sells a smaller version, the Compact Sling which the specs say can hold 2.5 lbs, which should be enough for the OM-D with just about any native lens. This one looks a little flimsy to me, though, so I'm not sure I'd really recommend it for anything more than a point-and-shoot or an :43: with a very lightweight lens. That said, the OP/TECH stuff I've used seems to be well built, so I would image if they rate it for 2.5 lbs. it will hold that and more.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have the OP/TECH Compact sling. The strap itself is nice and I love the neoprene on the shoulder. The weak part of the system is the small cord loop that attaches to the camera. It is about the thickness and strength of those used to attach wrist straps to P&S cameras. OP/TECH does not make an alternative attaching system for the compact sling. I am thinking of replacing OP/TECH QD Loop a split ring ala Gordy's. With that change I would not hesitate to use the compact sling with an OMD.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I agree, that thin diameter cord on the camera attachment is the very piece of the Compact Sling system that gives me pause. I would not be at all worried about the strength of the strap itself.

I was wondering if perhaps one could use a Uni-loop (as used on the Utility Sling) with the smaller strap, but the quick connector is definitely more petite. I imagine an enterprising soul could figure out some way to combine these two elements.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I use a DSPTCH Strap as a sling. On the gripped OM-D, attaching to an eyelet and to the bottom of the grip makes the camera and lens point down. When, using a longer lens or a hooded lens, the lens is never swinging out. It would seem that a sling which connects to an eyelet, would have a tendency for the camera to swing around when one walks.

The DSPTCH is merely a long strap, so when bringing it up to eye level for usage the entire strap must rotate across one's body. After shooting nearly everyday for more than half a year of using the DSPTCH in this manner, I've never had any problems with the strap binding on clothing. Doesn't mean binding will never happen, just that the odds seem a bit remote.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I'm with Gary on this one... used a sling on my E-P3 for a while, and didn't like the way it moved away from my body at times. For example, jumping from a boat. I know they have some solutions for this, but they seem to get pretty bulky.

I now either use a gordy wrist strap on my OM-D, or carry it bandolier-style with a Streetstrap. This strap gives me enough slack to bring the camera up to my eye, and it also seems to ride closer to my body. Also, like Gary said, there isn't a problem with friction/binding moving the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pcdawg

pcdawg Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2012
    Has anyone played with the Joby Sling? It seems small as the should straps are not bulky.

9. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    excellent suggestions, guys, thanks so much and I'll explore every option...!

10. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Rik gets some of my money cause he has great stuf. If you use the Strap and the Hook....you'll be in heaven for about $40.00....

Get your STRAP for the Leica M!

• Like Like x 2
  11. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Peak Designs, the guy who did the Capture Clip, created a strap called the Leash. I got one through his Kickstarter campaign, and I think it is great. It can convert to a neck strap or sling in no time. The strap is super thin, but it is comfortable and perfect for m4/3 setup.

• Like Like x 1
  12. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    An interesting (albeit more expensive) option...thanks!

13. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I opted for the OP/TECH Utility sling strap (just placed my order moments ago)....thanks again to all who chimed in with opinions/suggestions here!

Tom

14. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Streetshooter...perfect!
    Thanks
    DaveL

15. millimeterwave

millimeterwave Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    ATL, GA
    I've also got the leash (and the cuff) and this they are so awesome. I used to use a black rapids srap that now collects dust.

I recommend Peak Design straps as well.

16. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    I just got the Peak Design Leash this week after it being on back order for a bit. Great strap and I love the way it hangs. The only issue I had was getting the anchors through the lug after removing the eyelet, but a descent size needle is all it took to push it through enough to pull.

17. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I posted the other day in another thread that I ordered the Ona: the Lima. ONA | The Lima It hasn't arrived yet but I expect it to be my urban sling.

18. Microman

Microman Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    There are no truly small sling straps for a compact camera like the Olympus E-M5. The padding often is too bulky and there are too many plastic or even metal connecting parts. Who needs all those big plastic clips and connectors? The Peak Leash is one of the worst examples. Man, all of those big plastic parts! Manufacturers just don't get it. We want a compact strap for our compact camera! You'll have to make one yourself and it's not that hard. Buy a BlackRapid Fastenr Hitch and several meters of decent nylon band (aprox. 10mm). Cut the band to the desired size, slide the Fastnr on, connect both ends of the band. You can stitch it together or use a fastener or some other small clip for that. I.e. the small plastic clips you find at both ends of many standard camera straps. Attach the Fastnr to your camera and you're ready to go! Cheap, easy, compact and lightweight.

19. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm using the sling strap that comes with the BlackRapid SnapR, it can attach to the strap lugs on the camera rather than the tripod screw socket.

20. sushi

sushi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Brunei
    Syukri