1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Smallest holster type bag for OMD 12-50?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by lakemcd, Jul 23, 2013.

1. lakemcd

lakemcd Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2013
    Montana
    Gary
    Anyone use a holster type bag that they like for the OMD and 12-50?

2. MikeWhitten

MikeWhitten Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2012
    Not yet.... but I brought my OM-D + RRS grip/baseplate in today to measure. I spent a bit of time on the phone yesterday with Thinktank's customer support (fellow named Randy; did a _great_ job!).

He was confident it'd fit in their Digital Holster 10 w/o the RRS grip; we're going to check on with the grip. Unless it's an obvious misfit I'll be able to answer your question from experience in a few days!

3. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

I use the Digital Holster 10 for my EPL2 + VF2 + 14-150. This combo is slightly larger than an OMD + 12-50, and it still fits comfortably. Even with the RRS grip I think you'll be OK.

4. MikeWhitten

Dec 29, 2012
    If the little extender pouch is open could another small lens fit below the zoom?

5. lakemcd

lakemcd Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2013
    Montana
    Gary
    Peter124 Thanks for the input. Could you post a few pics of your camera and lens next to the bag. One concern I have is the weight, TT has it listed as a pound. As a backpacker, I try and keep my weight as low as I can.

Any others out there?

6. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

With usual comments about an iPhone shot:

TT_digital_holster_10.

The digital holster 10 is actually slightly bigger than needed for my setup. This does make it easier to pull the camera out, though. I find that a very tight fit leads to some fumbling!

Even without the bottom extension, there is just room for a pancake under the 14-150. With the extension open, there's much more room. I could easily fit the 14-42 kit lens along with the 40-150, for a 2 lens kit.

As far as weight and bulk is concerned, I don't find it too cumbersome for walk-around tourist activities, slung over my shoulder. Think Tank talks about mounting the Digital Holster 10 on a belt, but for me this would be too bulky. And I'm not sure I would want to go on a long backcountry hike with either the shoulder strap or the belt.

I realize that this doesn't exactly answer the original OMD question, but hopefully it gives some idea.

7. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Another two shots of the digital holster 10

This shows the P20 at the bottom of the holster, without the extension.

P20_in_digital_holster_10.

And here is my EPL2 + 14-150, stacked on top of the P20. It just fits.

EPL_VF2_14-150_P20_in_digital_holster_10.

8. lakemcd

lakemcd Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2013
    Montana
    Gary
    Peter

Thanks for the pics. looks a little too bulky for my application. A little of topic- what are your thoughts about a two lens kit vs one, I see that u have the 14-150 as well as kit and 40-150. I have the 12-50 and thought about adding the 40-150 or selling the 12-50 and getting the 14-150. (I have the 14, 20 & 45 primes as well). Zooms r just handy when traveling. Last year when I went to Peru I just took the kit lens with my 5n and missed some shots that my wife got with her epl2-40-150.

9. LRM

LRM New to Mu-43

Jun 26, 2013
  10. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Obviously it's a convenience vs image quality compromise. I haven't really made my mind up on this one yet. The 14-150 isn't bad until you get over 100 mm, especially if you can stop down to f8. On the other hand the 40-150 is decent up to 150 mm, especially stopped down.

In real life, though, I'm not sure the difference is significant. Often sharpness is limited by motion blur, camera shake, haze, focus error, etc.

I took the 14-150 on a trip to Cornwall, UK last May. Some photos here:

https://www.mu-43.com/f56/m-zuiko-cornwall-uk-46741/

The shot of the fishing boat was done at 150 mm. Good enough for a travel snap, but not super sharp.

Apologies for the thread hijack ....

11. MikeWhitten

Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks for the photos!

12. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    I have the LOWE-PRO REZO 110 AW which fits the E-M5 and the 12-50mm lens. plus two smaller primes can be squeezed in with it,. and there are pockets for spare batteries etc. If you'd like any more pictures or info, let me know. (OK It's not a holster bag, but this was the smallest I could find in the shop which could fit in the camera and 12-50)

Attached Files:

13. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    One of the smallest holsters I have seen that could suit the OP's requirement is by Case Logic. It allows some needed wiggle room for accessing the camera, along with having useful pockets. $17.00 on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Case Logic DSLR Camera Holster TBC-406: CASE LOGIC: Camera & Photo

I carry it periodically on its own. Or I put the case into a larger bag for a work or day trip that is not camera-centric, but the camera is there if I decide to shoot.