Smallest bag for GF3 + 4 lenses?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by gsk3, Dec 3, 2012.

1. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    I currently carry my GF3 and 14/2.5 around in little Lowepro bag designed for a point&shoot camera, and it works great.

However, my collection now looks like:
    • 14/2.5
    • Sigma 30/2.8
    • Adapted Fuji m42 mount 55/1.8
    • Adapted Minolta 135/2.8 (might buy a 45-150 fairly soon)

Needless to say, that is not P&S-sized.

So I'd like a little bit bigger bag to keep everything in.

Things I need:
    • As small as possible
    • Ability to quickly switch lenses
    • Less than $50

Things I don't need:
    • Extra storage (a flat pouch for an extra SD card and battery is the most I'd carry)
    • Domke-level build quality
    • Fancy materials (ripstop nylon works just fine, thanks)

Basically I have three small lenses plus a big one. So if I got a bag with three compartments, each about the size of the adapted 135/2.8, I could store (1) (vertically) the camera with small lens mounted, (2) the two small lenses not mounted, stacked on top of each other, and (3) the big lens.

Does that sounds reasonable? Any ideas on a particular case I should look at? I have tried poking through listings for camcorder bags, but it's hard to tell what exactly would fit without having extra space.
  2. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Does such a bag not exist, or was I simply too wordy to have anyone read through my question? :)
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Check out the Tamrac 3442.

I have the next smallest option. Good quality bag and not a lot of wasted space.
  4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    I have a case logic TBC-307 camera sling bag - it is relatively small and makes excellent use of space. I know what you're thinking - case logic, hahaha! But it really works very well. It looks like case logic has a few different sized sling bags now - search amazon for 'case logic camera sling' and you'll get a half dozen bags that are reasonably priced (the TBC-410 looks like a smaller version of mine, and sounds like it would be perfect).

Oh and just for reference, the one I have will hold my E-m5, and e-pm1, rokinon 7.5mm, panasonic 14mm, 20mm, pentax 43mm limited with the adapter attached and a small flash, not to mention a 10 inch tablet in one of the front pockets.

edit: Darn it thanks a lot for making me look, now I'm out $ buying the larger dcb-308. Interested in my tbc-307 for $30? It is in great shape! :)
  5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I have a Lowepro Apex 110 AW. Should fit your kit easily with room to spare for memory cards, extra battery. It's probably tough squeezing anything else in it. Under $50 easily unless shops local to you are greedy.

I fit in mine: E-M5, 9-18, 25, 45, 14-150, extra battery,
  6. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
  7. zilla

zilla New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2011
    Been a fan of Kata Light-Tri sling/torso bags with my M43 gear, especially during active pursuits and travel. I've fit an EP3 or EPL2, two pancakes, and wide or long zoom in a LighTri-310 (LighTri-310 DL | Kata Bags). It can be snug, but it works. That's the smallest I've been able to go. You won't be able to do 4 lenses, though. The other Light-Tri bags are decidedly larger, but also nice.
  8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    A pricier option, but I'm a big fan of the Thinktank Retrospective 5 for this. It's a great size for up to 4-5 lenses max. I typically carry two bigger ones on each end, one on the camera face-down, and one under the camera with a divider between.

A cheaper option that's similarly sized is the Tamrac Rally series of bags, which I also considered before going with the ThinkTank.
  9. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    That Retrospective 5 looks like the right size horizontally, but like most bags that fit the 4 lenses, it's way taller than I need vertically.

*Sigh*. The world has not yet adapted to the awesomeness of m43.
  10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    There's no such thing as the ideal camera bag. Too many different tastes to cater to, and I've found the only reliable way to check for fit is to visit a store with the gear you want to stow.

With the size advantage of MFT, my ideal bag for the system is a smallish everyday (non camera only) bag for carrying general stuff around that also fits the camera gear.
  11. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Have a look at the LowePro Passport sling the original version can be found on sale as there is now a V2. Small, light inexpensive well made. I'm on my iPhone now so it would be hard to link but just check B&H or Adorama through the mu4/3 affiliate links.

Here is a link to the V1 for $40
    Lowepro Passport Sling Camera Bag (Black) LP36140-0EU B&H Photo
  12. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    Hey man, I spent 3 days obessing about bags and height was a concern for me too!

For me it was down to two bags:
    Lowepro Messenger 100 (8.7W X 8.5H X5.5D )
    Manfrotto Bella IV (9.06W x 6.69 H x 5.5 D)

Just for reference, the retrospective 5 is: 10" W x 8.5" H x 6" D

The Bella IV is ideal height and width for our systems. I couldn't find reviews on it anywhere, though somebody on this forum did review a Bella V (bigger version).

For me, I ended up going with the Lowepro Messenger 100 b/c it twas shorter in length. Given the small size of our lenses, I really didn't think the extra length would benefit me, where as the extra height would. The bag comes with 2 horizontal dividers so you don't sit one lens on top of another. I also thought that it looked less of like a camera bag. Anyhow, this video kind of convinced me to get it: [ame=]Event Messenger 100 - YouTube[/ame]
  13. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Retrospective 5 isn't "way" taller than what you need for m43. It has about 2 inches from the back of the camera to the top. If it was shorter it would have a more unusual width/height aspect, imo. But anyway, it's not in the price range you're looking for.

I had a Retro 5, sold it, got the 7 to hold all my gear, then bought a Tamrac Rally 3440 (camera+2 lenses), now I bought another Retrospective 5. It's the perfect size now that the iPad shrunk (or Nexus 7). :D

The Tamrac Rally 3442 may be suitable for you, as demiro suggested.

Retrospective 5 with GX1 with 7-14, lens doesn't rest on the bottom.

Retrospective 5 with Panasonic 45-175 with lens hood in position - not too much room left once you attach a body.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I have an epm1 with the following lenses:
    - sigma 30/2.8
    - sigma 19/2.8
    - m.zd 40-150 R
    - zd 35/3.5 macro (on mmf-1)

Everything fits nicely into a Crumpler 3 million dollar home bag. Lenses are stacked though, but it's not a big deal considering how compact the whole setup is. The bag was meant for a single dslr/lens combo, but with my m4/3 kit, I can fit everything in!
  15. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    Here are some pictures of the kit.

This is the bag from the outside. It's pretty compact.

This is all the gear that's in the bag. Spare battery, flash, neck strap and lenspen not pictured.

This is what it looks like when everything is packed.

My apologies for the pictures - they were quick snaps with my cell phone.
  16. cerebrus

cerebrus Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 19, 2012
    I am in a similar boat.

Have been using the old Lowepro Photo Runner.

What I have now:
    EM-5 with landscape grip & Oly 12-50 attached
    Oly FL-600R
    Panny 7-14 f4
    Oly 45 f1.8
    Oly 60 f2.8 macro

Bunch of filters and step rings for the lenses.
    Spare batteries for the flash.

Everything fit perfectly fine until I got the 60 f2.8 macro. I would love to get a bag that has a similar design, just a tad bigger. I find the grip thingy useful, lets you open the bag easily. The new Photo Runner 100 does not seem as long as this one, just deeper.
  17. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    What about the Lowepro Adventure 140?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
  18. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I have a Lowepro ILC Classic 100, which is small, relatively inexpensive and very easy to use. I am very happy with it. (Indeed, when I wrote to ask Lowepro about whether one could obtain an additional divider to make four small compartments instead of two small compartments and one large one, they sent me an extra divider all the way from the US to the UK for free. I had to sew it in place, as the velcro on the larger divider was only on one side, but that bag works very well for me now in that configuration, and might work well for you, too with one lens in each of two of the slots, two lenses in one and the camera in another, or alternatively one lens in each of three of the slots, and the camera with the 14mm f/2.5 lens in the other).
  19. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    I currently use a thinkTank Retropective 5 but have been looking a slightly bigger bag due to growing size of my :43: system current layout camera in the middle compartment with flash gun on one side, on the other I my viewfinder and 20mm lens on the bottom and another lens on top my remaining lens then rests on top of camera and lens in the middle compartment. with other accessories in other pockets. It all fits but is a bit tight.

It is when I carry all my gear out and about that I wish I had a slightly bigger bag so it is easier to access lenes and change them quicker.If I have the camera around my neck then there is not a problem lens are fairly eacy to access and change. It is when the camera goes back in it is harder, and if I have the 20mm lens on then the other longer lens don't really fit in well. I would also like to get a longer lens thinking about the pany 45-150 so if I got that would need a bigger bag to fit that in as well.

I have been looking at the other sugestions but not seen anything that I think would suit yet for my self.