Smallest bag for GF3+20mm

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by iPete, Aug 28, 2011.

1. iPete

iPete Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Hi all,

I've recently ordered my first four thirds system camera! Currently shoot a Canon 40D + 3 lenses but wanted something pocket size with a fast prime!

To complete the tiny package, I'd like to get my hands on a small shoulder bag that doesn't look like a camera bag!

I've done loads of looking around the net and read some other threads but havn't found anything. The Crumpler 1 Million Dollar Home looks perfect but could be very hard to get in the UK!

1 MDH

Manfrotto pouch but has no straps:

Any ideas greatly appreciated, might just buy a normal 'man bag' type thing. Might even consider a pouch + strap combo.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Option #1 - Buy a Crumpler/Lowepro/Tamrac. Spend 6 months with it. Get bored with it. Buy another Crumpler/Lowepro/Tamrac. Spend 6 months with it. Get bored with it. Stumble across Domke on the internet. Buy Domke. Gaze lovingly at it occasionally over long and affectionate relationship.

Option #2 - Just buy a Domke.

I'd recommend this one :wink: I use the F10, which is slightly bigger, with a GH2 and a few primes. The F9 would be great for a GF3, 20/f1.7 and another prime.
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
  4. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    My F5xb is my "if it doesn't fit in there, I'm not taking it" bag.
  5. iPete

iPete Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions, did have a look at the bag p*rn earlier but I'm into bags that are a bit more petite ;)

Have a Crumpler Muffin top 7500 and a massive holds everything inc. tripod Lowepro backpack already..
  6. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I've got one of those Manfrotto pouches and it's ok. no strap isn't an issue because the camera strap can be used. medium size is a very snug fit for GF2 + 14. Cant fit 20, but you might be ok wth GF3. I like that it was not too bulky, so when the camera is out it can be stuffed in a pocket.

it's now been replaced by Domke F5XB. brilliant bag. definitely worth a look if you want something than can hold a little more. you'll probably end up with some more lenses soon, so might be best to plan ahead
  7. davvy

davvy New to Mu-43

Mar 4, 2011
  8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Same here - I have one I used with my 10 year old Fuji 1400 digital and it works well with the GF2 I picked up.

I can put in my 20 and 14 with a vented lens hood and some accesories. I even managed to squeeze in my Oly 9-18, though that was pushing it. A spare battery will be added.

9. iPete

iPete Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback on the Manfrotto, might go down that route with a V or VI size and use the camera straps for carrying! No need to worry about kit growth, have various bags for the DSLR.

Samsonite looks good also!

Can't wait to get the camera now!
  10. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    + 1 for Domke, but please check this option; F-803 Satchel. E-PL3 and two deep compartments for lenses. Even Pana 100-300 fits perfectly.
  11. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
  12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    A bag for the GF3 + 20/F1.7? Don't do it! That combo is born to be hanging from a wrist strap or shoved into a cargo pocket, ready in a flash to capture The Decisive Moment.

The moment you put it in a bag you'll find yourself in situations where by the time you've taken the camera out of the bag, zip zip....lens cap...on..., the Decisive Moment is gone.

Seriously, I've got a GF2 and most of the time I've got it with either the 20 or the 14. I've got an Op-Tech USA wrist strap on it, and 9 times out of 10 I leave the house without a bag. If I'm carrying other stuff, I'll just put it in a Tenba wrap and throw it into my messenger bag or daypack.
  13. agwe

agwe Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2011
    Manila, Philippines
    I'm using a Lowepro Compact Courier 70 for my GF1 & 20mm. Mainly for transport in a rucksack or messenger bag so it doesn't bang against my other gadgets. But I'd have to agree with John. A kit that small was made to be on a wrist strap in ready position when you're out shooting.
  14. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    currently using a crumpler... mmm... i forgot the name... wait checking... "the dee why heist" (crazy names btw) - it's a belt bag. i can fit the following:

gf1, 20 1.7, 14 2.5. ipod nano. some cables, pen, usb, etc.... good bag. i bring it everyday. i gave up on bringing my nikons everyday. that's why i'm here a m43! yeah.

15. iPete

iPete Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions, afraid hand held isn't an option, need my hands free to cycle my bike, go on long walks, be free to climb up things etc etc. Don't fancy a pouch either, what do I do with it when I'm shooting on the move.

The Crumpler Cupcake 1500 also looks good but maybe a little too big (?), internal dimensions are 18 x 14 x 9.5 cm, says it fits a 'bridge camera or micro system camera with mid-size zoom lens + standard zoom lens'. It could be a winner, available in the UK hmm.

Still, can't look past the 1 Million Dollar Home! Hopefully I can wrangle someone on travel with work to pick one up.

Should be the perfect setup along side its bigger brother..

16. iPete

iPete Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Purchased a bag..

*drum roll*

For the sake of anybody looking on Google, it is a Crumpler Pretty Boy 380 (XS), originally worried about it being too small, its actually rather large but no complaints. Its heavily padded and has a good shoulder strap and belt option.

Whilst my lens is still out of stock :rolleyes: it won't have an issues fitting, the GF3 is so small it can go in flat or sideways!

As a bonus you can get an iPhone in the front pocket.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    IMO, if I'm going to carry a bag, I'd carry a bag that also fits a little bit more than just a camera. Otherwise, I'll just have the camera on a strap. So I'll generally use a non-camera bag messenger bag as a camera bag.
  18. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    How do you guys carry a camera without a bag? What do you do with the camera when you aren't using it (say in a restaurant)?

Assuming you aren't carrying another bag anyway.

Comments on the Lowepro Passport Sling?
  19. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I use a hand-strap. Basically the camera is in my hand all the time.

In a restaurant it rests on the table. It's a small camera so this doesn't look strange.