1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

smallest adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by klee, Jun 15, 2013.

1. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    what's the smallest adapter for m43 out there? I was shocked at how unwieldy the M42-m4/3 adapter made my Pentax lenses.

I'm liking the AR adapter though.

Which legacy lenses are generally the most compact when adapted to M4/3?

I'm waiting on an OM-m4/3 adapter for my new OM 135/3.5. It feels so small right now, but I'm afraid the adapter will take away the enchantment...

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    C-mount is probably the most compact, but most of the lenses will vignette. M39 is good, and there are some cheap Soviet lenses that use it.

Any rangefinder mount really -- Nikon S, Contax G, Leica M.

Pentax 110 too, though the lenses are more novelties than anything.

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Definitely Leica M39. My 50mm f2 Summitar and it's adapter is smaller than either kit lens.

C-Mount and Pentax 110 lenses + adapters are even smaller, but the quality can't approach something like the Summitar.

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    that about sums it up. or close on m39/ltm/ leica m mount's heels would be the olympus pen f adapter mount. those are also quite nice.

5. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Be sure to get a nice small lens to go with it!

_MG_6496.

6. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Here is a helpful list for 16mm movie c-mount lens coverage. It is my understand that many of the digital c-mounts vignette. Does anyone know of a list of tv and cctv lens coverage?

This Kodak Cine Ektar 25/1.4 is on my camera most of the time.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/95688968@N02/8810155046/" title="Kodak Cine Ektar 25 - 1.4 by FotoCrit, on Flickr"> 8810155046_9d9e1019cf_b. "751" height="650" alt="Kodak Cine Ektar 25 - 1.4"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/95688968@N02/8799575171/" title="Kodak Cine Ektar 25-1.4 by FotoCrit, on Flickr"> 8799575171_b99e8f05ec_b. "793" height="650" alt="Kodak Cine Ektar 25-1.4"></a>

7. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  8. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
  9. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Is it about portability or something else to the OP? Ime: Don't discount weight of the (lecacy) lenses in that regard.

10. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    Great responses, thanks. I'm concerned about handling, and I don't want long legacy glass to get even longer with an adapter.

If I obtains compact legacy lens, I hope to keep it compact adapted.

But my interest in acquiring additonal legacy glass is only for budget sake, so to stick with that theme, I may just have to stick with Konica AR, OM, or save up for native glass.

11. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    Want. Looks like Leica glass?

12. Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Memphis
    Adapters for pentax 110 lenses are crazy small. But those lenses don't have an aperture so you always shoot wide open. I still like to play with them though. The lenses are tiny!

13. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Sorry. Forgot to add link for Micro 4/3 C-mount Coverage List with wonderful overlay graph.

-Chrome

14. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 pancake in M-mount, so kind of, Leica mount, at least.

They go for around $350, but you can occasionally find them for as low as $250 used on Ebay.

Another tiny M-mount pancake lens is the Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm f/2...which goes for around $400...loved to pick up one of those one of these days.

15. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    You can find a comprehensive (I think) list of lens registers for every mount which can be adapted to :43: using commercially available adapters in this post.

As others have pointed out, the c-mount adapters are by far the shortest, followed by Pentax 110. The downside is that most of the c-mount and P110 lenses are less than ideal in terms of quality. Although they're very usable (and even fun) I wouldn't necessarily consider them general purpose lenses.

The next smallest options are the rangefinders (Leica M, M39, Contax G, Nikon S), but lenses for these mounts are generally pricier to the point that native lenses (e.g. the Olympus 45/1.8) are often competitive in terms of cost.

The place where price and quality intersect nicely among adapted lenses is in the SLR mounts. Among these, Konica AR has the shortest register (i.e. the slimmest adapter). I would recommend the Konica 40mm f/1.8 pancake as a good place to start. The Olympus OM lenses are generally smaller than those from the other brands, so even though the register is 5mm+ longer than Konica, the overall size and weight can be competitive in certain focal lengths.

16. Parallelcircuit

Parallelcircuit New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Also, don't forget all of the cheap Russian rangefinder lenses out there.

They're not Leica quality but you can get some fun, nice lenses for <$60. I've got an Industar 61 L/D and I love it. Best of all, it's nice and small on your camera. I hear the Jupiter lenses are very nice too, but I have yet to get one. I also LOVE my Pentax Auto-110 18mm, though I'm not as big a fan of their 50mm.

To be fair, I shoot for fun, so YMMV.