1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Smaller hood for PL25mm F1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by manju69, Dec 2, 2011.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I was wondering if this hood (or something similar)

Fotodiox Pro Angle Lens Hood Sun Shade for RF Range: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

would work with the PL25? I know it will fit in as it has a 46mm thread, but would it help with glare etc - being a bit shallower than the provided hood? The hood that came with the 25 is quite big so I was wondering about this more compact form?. Neatly - it would fit my 14mm f2.5 too! Thanks in advance.

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am jealous Manju

I don't know any thing about this lens hood but I want this lens . I have been just itching to sell my hot favourite and most used panny 20 mm and get this .Now u have pushed me further ..
    I want it ..I want it.....:mad::mad::mad:

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm not sure, but an odd little quirk -- the PL45 hood is actually smaller than the PL25. I have both, and mainly use the PL45 hood on the PL25!

btw -- the thread for the PL25, 45, 14 and 20mm are all the same, so I would think it would fit, and given that 25mm is narrower than 20mm, there shouldn't be vignetting.

4. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I noticed the same, and will leave the PL 25 hood in the box. The PL25 hood works fine for both.

I agree that it is nice that the PL 25, PL45, P 20 and the Olympus 12 all use 46mm filter thread.

5. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks. That's helpful.

6. gfspencer

gfspencer Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2011
    North Carolina
    • Like Like x 1
  7. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    I can't come a putting another piece of glass in front of my PL25 - hence why there is no UV(0) or protector filter out front. Having said that I am very timid about damage to the front element so have the boxed lens hood on at all times. It is big and does make the PL25 twice the length again. I have been toying with the idea of using the vented angle lens hood, ala RF-style. I can't see how vignetting can be an issue when the PL25 native hood is so much longer.

Now I know they are out there - as I once found a couple on eBay a few months back but now that I'm ready to buy am stumped if I can locate it again! :dash2:

Has anyone stumbled on the 46mm vented hood with the 52mm threaded front?

If so, any chance of providing a link to the listing please? This would be ideal as I am buying 52mm filters as my universal thread with judicious use of a step up ring....this lens hood would forfeit that requirement and offer the protection required. WIN/WIN!
    BTW: This vented hood I'm after does offer the ability to mount a lens cap - a centre-pinch 52mm - being just the ticket. Another win..

8. stillshunter

Sep 27, 2011
    UPDATE: I've since discovered the ZYKKOR 46mm vented lens hood comes with a 55mm threaded front. It's under $10 and can be found here and here.

My search continues for the 52mm front threaded version....though I may have dreamed it up...

All else I've found so far are without internal front threads. Will post more updates as they come to hand. I hope there's at least one other person out there interested. If not, I suppose here's a handy place to store the info in case it gets lost again in the future :blush:

9. lecturedoodle

lecturedoodle Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 7, 2011
    on posts 4 and 46 of this thread, there's mention of a 42mm lens hood with a 52mm diamater front ... but the hood isn't at the link anymore. /:

I don't know if the hood is threaded in the front, but maybe this is the lens hood you were thinking of?

10. stillshunter

Sep 27, 2011
    Ahhhh... just found the perfect smaller hood for the PL25. It aint cheap but it comes with an excellent bonus prize :wink:

Just received my PL45 and that hood is a great match for the PL25. So I suggest buying one and maybe using the PL45 whenever the fancy might take you! :smile:

11. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    If only!. Think I'll stick with my rangefinder hood and save for the PL45.