1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Smaller focus point on OMD?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dduval, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Well, I googled this and still can't find a straight answer. On My PL5 I can make the center focus point really small, adjusting it bigger to smaller and vice versa, but this does not work on my OMD? I can't adjust the focus point to really small..

Any help? Or does this feature not wor at all on the OMD?

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    AFAIK, it can't on the EM5.

Disclaimer: I don't have the EM5.

3. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL

Well, that sucks! :eek:

I can't believe they didn't fix that in a firmware update, but oh well...

4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    One of the deal breakers for me when I was choosing between this and the GH3.

5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Have you tried this? This was my first hit on google, and it's what I've been using for months.

6. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Darosk,

This is great! Thank you so much! Just tried it and it works awesome.

What's great is once it's set up, I can turn the cam off, then power back on, hit the fn button and boom! The tiny focus point appears straight away...very cool cause now I can bring up when needed with one touch of a button. Thanks again...

7. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    No worries :) Yup, it's very convenient. I actually hardly ever use it, but it's nice to know it's there!

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    It's been available since FW 1.1

9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Nice to know about this, even though I'm not an EM5 user!

10. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I was really upset until I found the trick linked above. I don't need the small focus point all the time, and one press for when I do isn't a big deal.

11. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    you should note when using the smaller focus point on the EM5, the highlight/shadows feature doesn't work anymore.

12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use FN for AEL.

For me the best way for controlling smaller focus is to enable to the touch screen and set the box size to the smallest... it stays that size... even after power cycle. I simply touch the screen and the focus small point is placed where I touched.

13. francis_a

francis_a Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2013
    Derry, NH
    Francis
    I found this out by accident on my rental E-M5 using the Fn-2. Ya, like what usayit said, it stays the same magnification at 14% even after a powercycle.

14. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Hi! Even if you assigned the magnification to the Fn2 button I believe you could still access the highlights/ shadows through your SCP. Just press the arrow UP and then INFO. The highlights/ shadows is on the lower right corner of your screen. Adjust the higlights/ shadows using the front and back dials of your EM5. Toggle between the highlights and shadows option by just pressing the INFO button. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

15. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Nice, good to know Mix!

• Like Like x 1
  16. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I'm not too sure if we are talking about the same thing. I'm actually referring to the highlight and shadows alert feature. Where it warns you which areas are going to blow out by marking it red. And which areas are going to be complete black by marking it blue.

I find the highlight alert particularly useful

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Well thanks. I hadn't discovered that either, although I use magnify all the time with manual focus lenses. It will be very handy taking pictures of bugs in macro, where the least bit of change in the focus point can ruin the shot.