1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Small Waterfall - HDR Warning!

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by DekHog, Aug 20, 2011.

1. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    OK, HDR is not to everyone's taste, I know, but really harsh lighting forced large bracketing. I still had to fix a bit at the top of the trees in post that was badly blown, even with a 9EV bracket! (thank you Clone Stamp tool). :smile:

I've tried to keep it pretty real and not too cartoonish, so hopefully I've succeeded (only try HDR once in a while, so am far from an expert).

This place is 15 minutes from my front door - 50 years, and I only found out yesterday it existed - stumbled across it by chance during an Internet search for something else entirely.....

Too saturated? Too contrasty? Too cartoonish? OK? All comments and crit welcome.

zkhbtt.

29gipet.

• Like Like x 12
  2. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Both really lovely!

3. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Excellent use of HDR, not obtrusive at all. Beautiful shots!

4. drp

drp Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    David
    I agree. Beautiful.

I want to go there.

5. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I personally love these. How did you bracket if you dont mind me asking? In camera? How many layers?

Edit: saw the 9ev mentioned.

6. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Wow, what a gorgeous place! Terrific pics, too! What is wrong with using HDR anyway? I'm new to photography, and honestly HDR photos were what initially piqued my interest. Is it considered a crutch or something? Either way those photos look great, isn't that all that matters?

Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking? I'd love to be 15 minutes away from such gorgeous nature like that!

Trevor

7. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Gee, thanks guys, I'm flattered - I've seen so many HDR photos get totally slaughtered on various forums, I've always been a bit wary about posting any myself.

I'm not sure which body you have, but my E-PL2 does a maximum of 5 stops at 1EV - a quick tutorial on how to easily do 9 stops if it's any use to you.

Set up your 5 stop bracketing, then set your exposure compensation to -2EV and take your first five shots. Then set your exposure comp to +2 and take another five shots. You now have ten shots with a duplicate of one shot at 0EV.

Of course it's not always necessary to do this, as five at 1EV maybe be enough.

There really is nothing wrong with HDR...... unless you look at some of the stuff on Flickr! :eek:

This place is called Arbirlot, near Arbroath in Scotland - there's actually a nature walk alongside the river, but I didn't have time to do it.... not today anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Okay you asked...
    Personally for my tastes, it's too overdone. Keywords being "for my tastes".

Obviously from the comments prior to mine, others differ :smile:

9. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I think that it would look nice printed on canvas, as it really looks more like a painting than a photo. It's really nicely done.

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Very nicely done! I love the more realistic end of the HDR scale. :biggrin:

11. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    Great shots! This landscape seems to come out of a Tolkien tale :cool:

12. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Love it.

Floats my boat mate ! Is it anywhere near Glasgow ? I'm there quite a lot.

Ok read all the posts . Got the location now .

13. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    I really like them a lot better than some HDR's you see it does not look to over done second slightly better to me. I like the low angle and flow of the water.

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    The second is definitely my preferred one. I think the falls and foreground are dynamite. The details in the leaves is where HDR detractors will become irritated. I don;t know which HDR software you're using, but whatever controls adjust the "details" parameters might need a bit of tweaking (personal taste of course).
    Nice work. And remember people....don't hate the HDR, hate the lousy practitioners. Can you imagine seeing terrible landscape photos and saying....I don't like landscape photography?

15. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Wonderful images... not the least bit "worked" in appearance.

I do find that some images which are pretty obviously HDR do look wonderful in their own way. Generally, pastoral settings such as this one look best when not obviously HDR, though they can definitely benefit from blending of bracketed exposures. Whereas I think that overt HDR can be great looking with urban, street, edgy-type subjects.

Main thing is how do you like it! No matter what, there will be someone somewhere who doesn't like something you've done, but as long as you please yourself, you're doing well!

16. aznick

aznick Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    Arizona USA
    I think they're both beautiful photos.
    I would print and frame them!

17. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Excellent Work! I would never have guessed it was HDRed if you hadn't told us. HDR is not fakery. Our eyes do HDR for us to a great extent all the time. Our cams just are not as good so we have to fix it in post. :biggrin:

You have a great local there. You can make a career out of a spot like that. :wink: Now you've clued us to it we want to see it in winter. And early spring. etc. :bravo-009:

18. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I second the comments of nueces. To me these look more "natural" as in what you experience with your eyes than they prolly would without HDR. Really nice!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

19. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Thanks for all the comments guys, they are appreciated, even if you don't like them.

Just to answer Don; yes, I do like them myself.

They were done in Photomatix Pro 4 - the details etc. is a very subjective thing and not something you'll get right to everyone's eyes. There are so many options in Photomatix you could sit there all day moving sliders and have a different image every time, so you have to draw the line somewhere.

It's a spot I'll definitely go back to Autumn and Winter; very easy to get to and a short hop from my own front door, so it's not a trek to get there.

20. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Very nice - I'd desaturate the green channel a bit to suit me better, but it could easily look worse that way. As to tonal range I think it looks great! Were I to choose my preference is the 2nd one, but I think both are nice.