Small & Ultrawide Prime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
I'm looking for a wide prime and have the 7artisans or Laowa 7.5mm in my sights. One is Fisheye and the other Rectilinear. The price difference is huge between the 2 lenses.

Some shots look good with the fisheye effect and some don't.

Can Lightroom remove the fisheye effect when not wanted?

Thank you

Mark

ean10775

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Eric
I can't speak to the 7Artisans but can definitely recommend the Laowa. The Rokinon 7.5mm is also an excellent lens if you want a fisheye and splits the difference in price between the other two. I had the Rokinon which was able to be corrected a bit in LR, but if you're looking to do that frequently I'd just go with the Laowa.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I think you want the Laowa if you want to make "normal" images. Fisheyes are fun and you can de-fisheye in post but you can't visualize through the camera and see what the end result will be once defished.

The biggest problem with defishing is the loss in edge quality as pixels get stretched to rectilinear display. Sometimes it's fine, other times you may want to crop out the stretch, which may compromise your shot if you didn't take that into account when composing.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Defining will stretch the edges and, if you want edge qusliry, will have you crop in on the image to keep the edges good, thus losing some of the ultrawidth of the lens.

The Laowa is rectilinear so you won't have to crop in, you will need to correct some vignetting, but that is done easily in LR, without loss of quality or pixels.

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
Could always just pick up the Rokinon or Samyang 7.5mm since both have a lens correction profile in lightroom..

The Laowa 7.5 would be the better choice, just having a hard time with that $500 price tag...

Thanks everyone for posting....

Paul C

Mu-43 Regular
7artisans or Laowa 7.5mm?

I'm a big fan of the 7-Artisans 7.5mm because of the cost-effectiveness !

For the current UK price of £104 GBP / $140 USD; the small size and its image quality, close focus ability and flare control make it a permanent fixture in my travel bag.

I'd love a 8-10mm rectilinear - but the inherent compromise for micro 4/3 makes any suitable lens design dependent on multiple lens elements and clever, expensive, hi-density glass - the result is usually large, heavy and expensive!

The fisheye design gets over many of those technical problems - but needs de-fishing for many compositions.

DEFISHING the 7-Artisans 7.5mm:

[1] If you have DX0 Pro (there is often a free download of DXO Pro-11 available) just go to the lens correction, click "fisheye" and move the slide to 66% and it is a 16mm equivalent rectilinear on "full frame".

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Try the image with and without the aspect ratio locked - unlocked it goes w-i-d-e-r but the locked aspect ratio gives better quality out-of-the-box and is my usual fix.

[2] The other free alternative is to use Hugin - the free panorama program. The step-by-step instructions are here: Micro 4/3rds Photography: Defishing fisheye images

Both these fixes are free - and work well in my hands.

Don't forget to use the level horizon tool - or put a cheap spirit level into the hot-shoe. Shooting level makes verticals less troublesome - and in many cases, avoids the need for defishing in the first place.

Best wishes - Paul C

And here is a before and after of the 7-Artisans 7.5mm defished with DXO in only 3 mouse clicks. The picture is the wonderful great Mosque at Lahore in the evening, taken handheld at sunset. With the moving people in the foreground I couldn't try my usual fix of a "panorama-stitch" image. On a hot day in Asia - every gram of lens has to earn its place in my camera bag!

Note that by shooting "level" I have got no "converging verticals" to fix later.

Last edited:

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have never understood why people would buy such a specialized and seldom-needed tool as a fisheye lens I would be bored with it very quickly. The mystery deepens when I hear discussion of "defishing."

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I have never understood why people would buy such a specialized and seldom-needed tool as a fisheye lens I would be bored with it very quickly. The mystery deepens when I hear discussion of "defishing."
Price is a big one. The name another REALLY wide option for the price of the Bower/Rokinon/Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye.

I don't have the 7.5 anymore (I have PL8-18 for wide), but I'm not sure I'll sell the 9mm BCL until / if I ever leave m4/3.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I use one for radiometric analysis - since 1975.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
Because they can be dirt cheap and can be fun to use. I got this one for A$50 (US$35)

Olympus 9mm fisheye BCL Brisbane Town Hall by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

Olympus 9mm fisheye BCL QUT by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

Olympus 9mm fisheye BCL QUT De-fished by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I use one for radiometric analysis - since 1975.
People complain about the "distortion" of fisheye lenses, when a rectilinear is equally "distorted," of a different sort.

Rectilinear preserves angles, at the expense of areas. Fisheyes preserve areas, at the expense of angles.

Some notable uses for fisheyes include surveying objects, since you can count one square area of the image, and multiply to get an accurate overall count. Also, fisheyes are notable for not distorting people's faces that are in the edges and corners — something rectilinear fans often forget!

Check out the faces in the corner. You could not get away with this with a rectilinear lens!

Paul C

Mu-43 Regular
Fisheye prices falling further

This thread tells it all - Fisheyes, even in the friendly web pages of the MU43 Forum, are love-hate equipment. However - once the price is low enough - many of will buy one on a "try it out" basis - and as the fabulous pictures posted here show - many take to them; that's what I did.

The dismissive reports of defishing trouble are just scares - with a lens profile DXO sorts this out in a moment.

Even better news is that the inherent price advantage of M4/3 or APS fisheyes vs rectilinear wide angles (15 lens elements, 2 aspherical elements plus 3 extra-low dispersion elements, in the new Laowa 9mm f/2.8 zero-d and a GBP £499 price tag).

So to encourage you all - Native Mount M4/3 7.5mm lenses from the Cheecar Fujian / 7-Artisans stable are now costing less than GBP £90 / $115 USD online. At these prices - many of you can skip over buying those 8mm F3.8 c-mount fisheyes in favour of a lens designed for our cameras rather than adapted from CCTV camera kit.

As a competition - see if you can tell the 2 versions of the 7.5mm F2.8 Micro 4/3 mount Chinese Lenses apart?
  • 7-Artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Micro 4/3 mount. Lens design = 11 lens elements, weight reported as 275g; length 63mm
  • the "No-Name" 7.5mm F2.8 Micro 4/3 mount version from Cheecar Fujian, Lens design = 11 lens elements, weight reported as 248g; length 62mm

Not so easy to tell them apart - is it?
How many of us wonder if they are not really the same design underneath? But this competition for our sales between different brands checks prices and makes creative ultrawide M4/3 photography easy on the pocket.

Best wishes - Paul C

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Because they can be dirt cheap and can be fun to use. I got this one for A$50 (US$35)
That, I can understand. I like toys. it's just that people seem to take fisheyes so seriously. ...

... Check out the faces in the corner. You could not get away with this with a rectilinear lens! ...
Ack! But then I'm not a fan of surrealism either.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom