1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

small tripod/gorilla pod suggestions?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Linh, May 26, 2010.

1. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I was thinking of getting a gorilla pod for my GF1/20. Something small I can just set up and as a bonus, stick it in odd places off railings if I wanted to. I've read it can be a bit cumbersome to use/sagged, but those were mostly ppl using dslrs.

Also, are there any alternatives to Joby?

Or, screw it and just get a simple small tabletop style tripod?

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've got one of those Gorilla Pod copies, and while it is reasonably sturdy and doesn't sag, it just hasn't effectively worked for me in any situation. That's why I ended up getting a Velbon mini-pod, so much better.

Cheers

Ray

3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I've wrapped mine around small trees and branches. I keep one in my car so I'm always ready.

4. BruPri

BruPri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2010
    Seattle
    Promaster "The Clamper"

I use one of these...
    Can be a tripod and clamp onto almost anything, very well built and folds fairly flat..:2thumbs:

Promaster

• Like Like x 1
  5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    could you elaborate on those situations a little?

interesting, this might be a good compromise for me. Do you have the size specs? It'd be awesome if it could fit in my small domke bag, too

6. BruPri

BruPri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2010
    Seattle
  7. BruPri

BruPri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2010
    Seattle
    Oh, the only thing I've added is a Trek-Tech MagMount Pro quick disconnect magnetic ball head...

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    How's the stock ball head? I don't think I'd be interested in spending that much on this setup, heh.

and the shot of the tree... that is a little nerve wrecking, haha

9. BruPri

BruPri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2010
    Seattle
    The stock head is great, I just like the convenience of the quick disconnect...the one I have is the Clamper, not the Clamper Jr. which was not available a year ago, it is now. These are solid and mine weighs 1.1lbs. Here are pics with the stock head...
    Clamp_flat2. Clamp_flat1.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    very nice, thanks for the pics. I think you may have sold one to me. Now only if it qualified for amazon prime shipping =)

11. BruPri

BruPri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2010
    Seattle
    Check out the Jr. it's supposed to be smaller and lighter and therefore perhaps even a better fit for your needs, let us know how you do!

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Despite the fact that it's relatively small in size and suggests versatility, I always found that it wouldn't hold steady where I wanted it to. It always seemed to sag and offered no stability as a small tripod. It just din't suit my needs. That's why I ended up getting one of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It can even hold my E3 with 90-250mm attached.

[​IMG]

I must say, the Clamper has some merit as well.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  13. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Calgary
    Consider the Slik Sprint Mini II GM

While I have used a Joby on ocassion, I find the Slik Sprint Mini II GM to be the more versatile support for small, relatively light-weight cameras:

Slik | Sprint Mini II GM 4-Section Tripod w/ SBH-100DQ | 611-806

At US$77 it'll support your camera from "down in the dirt" up to as high as 42"; it folds up to less than 14" long and weighs less than 2 pounds. As a bonus, the quick release plate of the ballhead doesn't interfere with the battery/media card door on the GF1. Acknowledging the limited weight capacity of the included SBH-100 DQ Compact Ballhead and that the tripod won't hold your camera rock solid in a raging gale, it's the best bang-for-the-buck travel tripod I've yet to find. I have used this tripod with my Leica D-Lux 4, Leica M8 and now my Panasonic GF1. I actually prefer this Slik Sprint Mini II GM to the 8X more expensive Gitzo GT-1541T Traveler.

14. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Ray, thanks for the feedback, that's exactly what I was afraid of (though, I won't be using anything as large as you). I'll probably get the clamper jr as soon as I sell off a boatload of gear I've been meaning to sell, heh.

pawzitiv, that's probably a bit larger than I was looking for. Though, at 14" folded, I might have to look into that for when I don't really want to carry my manfrotto around, heh.

15. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

16. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    my favorite small tripod has always been a black version one of these Manfrotto table top models
    [​IMG]

I have a couple of different size gorilla pods but never seem to trust them

17. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    How stable is that ProMaster clamp? Can you shoot long exposures with it? Would you feel comfortable putting something bigger on it, like, say, a GH1 with a 14-140?

(I'm looking for something that I can use with a 10-stop ND filter for fountain shots and the like when I'm just walking around and don't require the stability that I'd get with my real tripod...bonus points if it fits in a ThinkTank UD20...)

18. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Scary thread resurrection time. I used a GorillaPod Magnetic with my compact camera so upgraded to the GorillaPod Hybrid ( GorillaPod Hybrid: Flexible camera tripod for hybrid, CSC, EVIL cameras ) to go with my shiny new E-PL5.

It's great, although I'm still working out how best to deal with a specific issue.

I've used it with the 14-42 pancake, the 35-100 f2.8 and the Panasonic 100-300. It takes the weight of all of them (not at once) without any problems, and is nice and stable. It also fits neatly into my camera bag, which means I can take it anywhere I'm taking more than my camera (with the 14-42, treated as a fixed lens).

Where I'm struggling is when the camera is in the wind. There can be a little bit of wobble, which kind of negates the point of using a tripod.

I'm just not experienced enough with longer lens cameras (and the 100-300 is very long compared to what I'm used to, even though DSLR users will mock me for its relative size) to know whether this is a generic tripod issue, or specific to the GorillaPod.