small Tamrac backpack looks good for tourism/travel/m43/basic: $35 (not $100) (24 hrs)

SyZyGy

Mu-43 Regular
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1277417-REG/tamrac_t1465_1919_tradewind_backpack_24_dark.html

65% off, this looks like a pretty viable mu-43 walkabout pack. Seems like decent room for a mirrorless with a few lenses, but a good bit of room for tourist/walkabout stuff in main. (jacket? food? water? bug-spray? etc.?)

I'd NOT pay $100 for this, and I cannot comment on what's in the main, but I might consider this $35 price-point for a tour-group-bus-jump-off-need-to-see-the-town-grab-lunch-take-local's-profiles/landscapes-and-oh-no-it's-time-to-go type pack.

YMMV?
1626323532189.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SyZyGy

Mu-43 Regular
Well, I am in for one. Thanks for helping me spend money. :cautious:
Welcome! Glad it was useful to someone!
I almost picked one up myself, for reasons as listed. Hope it works out!

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Price is back up to $90 I see. Anyway, I received it and it is a nice bag. So my quick and dirty review having played with it for a few 5-10 minutes and haven't actually taken it out "in the field", so take if for what it is worth...

Lots of padding all around but as such the bag all by itself is noticeably heavy-ish (1.75 lbs (0.8 kg)) compared the cheapo "book bag" I often use. Like most of these types of bags the bottom section is for camera gear with Velcro held dividers and the top half is for whatever you want and then also has a back full length "slot" for your laptop (so laptop would be between your back and the rest of the contents). However the divider between the two upper/bottom sections is zippered in on three sides so you can unzip it and fold it out of the way if you want to use the full top to bottom length of the bag (and of course take out the Velcro'd in dividers on the bottom section).

The sides have very big mesh pockets which are open at the top. Despite the photo shown in the B&H link a water bottle will flop around and you would be best to lay the bottom on its side in the pocket, but because they are so big and stretchy you could cram, for example a wool hat/toque/beenie in there if you are out and about and getting hot and a pair of gloves where they are still accessible without having to get into your bag.

My only complaint so far having only handled it for a few minutes, is there are no small zippered pockets build in anywhere inside or outside the bag. So for things like batteries, a pen & small pad of paper, car keys, a filter stack, a lens cloth, etc. you only have the three main large compartments to pick from. So I will have to keep a small zippered pouch of some sort in the main compartment to hold all the little things that could easily get scattered around the bag in the main compartments if just thrown in loose. A D-ring somewhere on the exterior to be able to clip small things would have been nice as well.

So to show how much space you get in the camera section, without doing much reconfiguring of the dividers from how they came, the first photo is my E-M1.1 + 12-100 PRO mounted (and Peak Design Leash strap) and the second photo I threw in my rather large 4/3rds 50-200 (non-SWD) with the MMF-3 mounted on it.

2021-07-18 15.30.20.jpg
2021-07-18 15.38.35.jpg

So as you can see plenty of room for m43 where I can still get a flash in there and a couple primes. Also while the 50-200+MMF-3 was a bit too long to put in standing up in the spot, it probably would fit with the MMF-1 removed and the E-M1.1 + 12-100 PRO actually just fits if you stand it up. Hard to see in these shots but the camera+lens are basically only taking up half depth, so I could probably, for example, take my FL-36R in its padded case and lay it on top of the 12-100 PRO when laying in the slot as shown above. For smaller lenses, you can easily stack a pair of primes such as the 17/25/45 f1.8s into one of the open spaces shown.

Obvious for you long lens people, this bag wouldn't be a great choice as lenses like the 300 PRO and the 150-400 are not going to fit well (at all?). But perfect if you are like me and don't need longer than 200mm or you want to carry around the 12-100 PRO and the new 8-25mm and still have a bit of room for a fisheye and a fast prime and perhaps a flash. There is no features for attaching/carrying a tripod on this bag.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom