1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Small tablet for photography - IOS or Android?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Tapper, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I want to get an 8 inch tablet for photo viewing and edits while on the go. I have used some nice ISO apps like Photogene, and imagine there are similar apps for Android.

I want to be able to load RAW files, do basic Lightroom style edits, and save the edited files. Then upload to Flickr. Also love the healing brush to remove blemishes.

I read reviews on Displaymate's site, and apparently the iPad Minis have terrible screens with only 62% color gamut, whereas Samsung's S tablets are superb for color reproduction.

I also know Apple just announced the iPad Mini 4, and have read rumors that it finally will have 100% color gamut like the iPad Airs. So at the moment I'm considering either an iPad Mini 4 or a Samsung S2 8 inch tablet.

Any opinions on which would be better for photography? Apps to recommend? Please let me know.

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I'm an Apple guy so I'm going to say iPad. My favorite apps are still Snapseed and the Adobe line.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    I say android. USB port, expandable memory via microSD card. Win, win. And with samsung, you have the option of a stylus if you like that.

Really though the Surface Pro 3 is still the king of photo tablets, imho, since it runs full desktop versions of your Adobe apps. But the battery life isnt great, and Adobe has done nothing to make the surface stylus play well with it's applications.

The new ipad pro might be ok if it wasnt crippled by the typical apple "features", or if it ran a real workstation OS. I readily admit I'm biased against Apple. Not looking for a battle. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I am interested in this also. But I shoot RAW and I really cant find anything which competes with a RAW processor like lightroom on the mobile OS's. Is there one?

I think I'll end up with a Surface Pro 4

5. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Actually I do own a Surface Pro 3. It's great. It's basically my daily driver notebook. But as a tablet, it's very poor, and a bit big and heavy.

So, now I'm looking for a very light 8 inch tablet for carrying around.

I do prefer IOS as an operating system I think, so I'll wait and see what comes of the Mini 4's screen. If it has been upgraded to 100% sRGB color gamut, and is basically like the iPad Air 2 screen, then I will strongly consider it. Otherwise, I think the Samsung S2 8 inch tablet may be the best option -- it's extremely light, and has the best screen of any tablet.

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Actually wait until September 16th when iOS 9 is publicly available. There were some shots at this week's keynote and it looks like there will be some great updates to Photos. It would be great if the new Adobe products, particularly, Photoshop Fix are available then as well. My wife uses a Mini and I, too, am hoping that the Mini 4 is a smaller version of the iPad Air 2.

7. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Isn't that putting the cart before the horse. What RAW processor are you going to use? I don't care about the OS at all, just need the apps which can do the job. Is there one?

8. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Err, yes. I mentioned that in my first post. I've used Photogene on IOS, and there are others people here mentioned. On Android there are also several people have mentioned. That's not really an issue. It comes down to choosing the right hardware and operating system.

9. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Ok my bad. I really was asking that question because I would love something decent to travel with. I haven't dug into the apps that much but last I checked I was less than impressed. I'll check it out thanks.

10. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    If you're looking specifically for a small 8" tablet and want Lr like editing then my suggestion is definitely a Windows tablet.

You could go with something like the Dell Venue 8 Pro (the tablet I have) though that is limited to 32bit Windows and thus only Lr v1.0-5.7. Lr6/CC require 64bit Windows. I currently run my older Lr4 and Ps/CS2 on my DV8p. Touch screen usage is very difficult without TouchMousePointer installed, and even then access to Left-click, etc functions are somewhat difficult. With a real mouse attached things work rather well.

11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    iOS is still simple to use and better supported by most accessories.

If going big, Surface, some of the more recent transforming laptops are great, but if going small iPads are still so simple and good.

A big depends unfortunately.

12. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Perhaps iOS has better support for accessories than Android, but when it comes to external storage (HDs, Memory sticks, card readers, ...), interface adapters (USB, HDMI, DVI, VGA, Ethernet xBaseT, ...), HIDs (mice, Wacom tablets, trackpads, ...), scanners, and printers Windows tablets offer vastly greater support. They match the support found in Windows notebooks and desktop CPUs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I can't compare it to others, but I have the iPad Air 2. While it's pretty good for photography applications, I think there's plenty of room for improvement. I use Photos mainly, which I can edit in the field, and the photos with my edits will be on my Mac at home, utilizing the Cloud. It's kind of an instant download service, but I'm only using it for backup purposes. Because photos I've downloaded have to be duplicated before I can edit them, I suspect it does not edit RAW. Photos also does not have a healing brush on the iPad, though there is one for the Mac version. Maybe these things will be improved with the new version.

I also have Photoshop Mix, PS Express, and Snapseed for editing apps, but I am not sure those are what you are looking for. There is a Lightroom app for the iPad. I can't speak to it because although the app is free, you have to make an account for it. Maybe it's one of the Adobe subscription deals...

Other apps I like include OI Share, the Photographer's Ephemeris, SetmyCamera, and Digital DoF.

14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Let's get my bias out of the way first.

I do not use iOS for anything. I do use Android phones/tablets and Chromebooks.
    The android tablets are capable, with a solid set of apps, as are the Chromebooks - a lot of the apps either free or very low cost.

I've used a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 for almost 2 years and have had a Chromebook for almost a year. I can use either one for on the go processing.

15. ippikiokami

ippikiokami Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    I've tried for years to make a tablet work in my workflow but i've always hit a few walls. If you are just going on a casual vacation then any of the tablets will be fine. But if you are looking to do some real work I think anything below a desktop based tablet will just make you wish your brought your laptop. If you are going to do this often just get a small light laptop that you'd be willing to bring around.

16. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    The answer is quite simple. If you live in an Apple eco-system, get an iPad. Otherwise, get an Android tablet. I would stay away from the iPad Minis with possibly the exception of the new Mini 4 which may or may not have full color gamut.

I've been living in an Apple world for over 30 years so for me, I use an iPad and couldn't be happier. Having said that, I don't do much post processing on my iPad unless it's just for social media with pictures that were taken either with my iPhone or iPad, in which case I'll use several different apps such as Snapseed, Darkroom, ECP Photo, VSCO and a few others.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have an ipad mini 2, an Ipad 4 and a decent HP 7" Slate Tablet in the family. I will say that I prefer the experience of working on the ipads more. But if you plan to use them as a portable photo studio, then the memory issues quickly manifest. You either have to spend $100-200 more for a 64-128GB version, or you will flat out run out of space in a matter of weeks. 16GB is just not enough and there is no expansion on iPads once you've picked one. Sadly, both of mine are 16GB. This means I can transfer a few keepers while travelling for edits and sharing, but I cannot really backup to my ipad.

I'd lean toward a Android with a card slot for this reason alone. I can add a 64GB card to the android tablet for about $20. If I want to increase my 16GB ipad to 64GB I have to spend $500 for a new ipad.

Or I guess if you go iPad, know that you need to swallow the cost up front and go at least 64GB if not the maximum size.

18. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    How do you Apple users (me) process RAW images with your iPads? Olympus' Share only imports jpg. If you shoot raw is a tablet an option? I could see using personal or public cloud drives, but you still have to get your images uploaded.

Thanks

19. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    The SD card reader that Apple sells will transfer RAW files

20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What apps/programs are you using on your Chromebook for processing?

--Ken