Small Rant [smRant]

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I bought my GX80 back in 2016. It was over the counter from a high street store, complete with 12-32 and it was £399, just 6 months after launch. If I remember correctly the EM5.2 was around £875 body only at that time. Today, at the same store, the GX80 and 12-32 kit is £379, whilst the EM5.2 body only is £799.

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
Seriously, does this have anything to do with Zucchini?
So glad you asked. That means I'm not alone in this madness. :)

I also am expecting a supply of Leicable red stick-on circles and a white pen to practice writing "Lumix" in a Leica-like script!! With the money saved, I can get an "official" HCB hat and plenty of airs to put on!! WooHoo!!

arjubx

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Lei
Having had both cameras, the GX85 is the em10 competitor and not the em5. Weather sealing alone jumps the em5 up a class. The Em5 when it came out competed more directly with the gx8 and g80/85. The new gx9 is the direct competitor to the em10iii.

Yes, the Em5ii is at the end of life so value wise it is a bit poor right now but that will hopefully change soon with the mark iii.

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
Having had both cameras, the GX85 is the em10 competitor and not the em5. Weather sealing alone jumps the em5 up a class. The Em5 when it came out competed more directly with the gx8 and g80/85. The new gx9 is the direct competitor to the em10iii.

Yes, the Em5ii is at the end of life so value wise it is a bit poor right now but that will hopefully change soon with the mark iii.
I have, and love, them both. Not convinced the weather-sealing is worth that much yet. I had a situation where I HAD to go out in the mini-hurricane (80mph wind, 3" rain/hour) to check on the people living upstairs when a tree branch was ripped off (they were fine and the branch did not take out their stairway). I had both cameras outside with zero protection for 5-6 minutes getting photos for family and insurance. I learned that touch screens stop working once your fingers get dripping wet; and I discovered that the E-M5.2 "acted funny" for a couple days until it was thoroughly dry, while the GX85 had no issues whatsoever. Very interesting. Very interesting indeed.
But, yes, the Olympus is just lovely to hold and has a shutter that could cause arousal. The Lumix is like a Leica-M, all-business, nothing between you and the shot. Very different experiences, both lovely images. And the E-M10.3 seems aimed squarely at novices coming to MFT from phones, the GX9 is not. It seems more like Lumix trying to re-create the GX8 in a smaller form factor. GX8 was the flagship for a short while. E-M10 has always been the entry-point to the OM-D series.

Last edited:

arjubx

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Lei
Out of curiosity, why don't you use lens hoods?

I use lens hood when not using filters or balancing on gimbals.

Not sure where I said I didn’t, maybe this was for someone else?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I use lens hood when not using filters or balancing on gimbals.

Not sure where I said I didn’t, maybe this was for someone else?
Good grief, I must be hallucinating. I swear I read you don't use lens hoods. My apologies, and I promise to return to my medications today...

In any event I was just curious. I never used to use them, now I do. I used to use UV filters, now I don't. Just interested in differing opinions.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
And, OMG! The shutter of the E-M5.2 is one of the sweetest in the history of photography!! Who made that shutter? I hope he won some sort of Maitani Award for that. Just want to press the shutter to hear and feel it. Wow!

I have not heard it [the E-M5.2] but in the old 4/3rd days the original E-1 had the greatest shutter sound. Oddly NONE of the follow up models (and there were a lot including two more flagship models) had a shutter that sounded anywhere as good as the old E-1. Now I am curious to hear an E-M5.2 fire.

Edited for clarification on my first line.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom