Small Rant [smRant]

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
[smRant:On]
So, why does the "Open Box" GX85 cost half as much as the "Lightly Used" E-M5.2?? Are they not both 16mp cameras of roughly equivalent feature sets? Both mid-tier of their product lines? Both wonderfully powerful, compact bodies? So why such a price difference? What am I missing?
[smRant:Off]

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
[smRant:On]
So, why does the "Open Box" GX85 cost half as much as the "Lightly Used" E-M5.2?? Are they not both 16mp cameras of roughly equivalent feature sets? Both mid-tier of their product lines? Both wonderfully powerful, compact bodies? So why such a price difference? What am I missing?
[smRant:Off]
What prices are we talking about?

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Em5 2 is a higher tier product. It has a weather sealed, alloy construction, fully articulated rear screen, bigger EVF, high res mode to name a few advantages over the GX80. If you look at new prices, at least here in the UK, the GX80 has typically been around 40-50% less than the EM5.2.

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Em5 2 is a higher tier product. It has a weather sealed, alloy construction, fully articulated rear screen, bigger EVF, high res mode to name a few advantages over the GX80. If you look at new prices, at least here in the UK, the GX80 has typically been around 40-50% less than the EM5.2.
But...GX85 has 4K photo modes, USB charging in camera, and a real WiFi connection to a computer. Just doesn't seem like that much difference.
I love them both, for different reasons.

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
But...GX85 has 4K photo modes, USB charging in camera, and a real WiFi connection to a computer. Just doesn't seem like that much difference.
I love them both, for different reasons.

It all depends on what your priorities are. I like the thought of the 4K photo modes, but I haven't used them on either of my Panasonics. USB charging doesn't bother me, it's no hardship to remove the battery to charge it and I always remove the card to transfer files. I'd possibly use high res mode.....wait, dammit! I bought the wrong camera.

Seriously though, I've always considered Panasonics to be better value for money, more durable and have more reliable CDAF. Those are my priorities. Other bells and whistles are niceties, but don't carry as much weight for me. Others will appreciate the panache and character of Olympus cameras and will be willing to pay a premium for it. The GX80/85's achilles heel is its EVF. It received a lot of negative publicity and I think that possibly forced the retail price down. the G80/85 is the direct competitor to the EM5.2 and the price difference between those 2 models is a lot closer.

Last edited:

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@PeeBee , Thank you. That might help cut through the jumble in my head. Better value for the dollar, perhaps. Another thought was that competing products are often priced on a popularity scale. Olympus IS pretty sexy. GX85 is as bland and innocuous as can be. I think features/dollar DOES favor Lumix these days, thanks for helping free some space in my cluttered head!

siftu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
siftu
I have both, my perfect camera would be a cross between the two. gx85 I love the flip screen and the touch pad focus, its great for hips shots and the best value for $$. Its dials are much more fiddly and the EVF doesn't come close, it's battery life feels less too although I haven't measured them. The Em5ii I prefer the dials and EVF, I also use high res mode a fair bit. I don't find any difference in the focusing on them. I prefer the em5ii's RAWs on import, but the panasonic ones only take a few tweaks to get them similar in LR.

I recently got GX85 as a package deal with lenses. I earlier had E-M5.2. I can definitely say the Oly is better built, the buttons have nicer tactile feel, surfaces are all a tad bit better than GX85, and the whole thing feels more premium among other things already noted here (EVF is just sad on GX85). But GX85 is almost half the cost of EM5.2, used. I am not sure if advantages that EM5.2 over GX85 are worth that much dough. You might not ever need weather sealing for example. You might be okay with cheap feeling dials and buttons and sub par EVF. GX85 is simply a better value when seen from that perspective.

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
How about asking why a GX85 body (not currently on sale) is $698 but a two lens kit (which is currently on sale) is only $498 :whistling:
I have not seen a GX85 Body Only sale. Not from an authorized supplier. I have seen Open Box or Kit separated bodies, but not at that price. I have seen G85 bodies for $700 new. Very different camera. Can you post a link to the price you are talking about?

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
I think it just comes down to E-M5 II still being the newest model in the line and GX85 is being phased out as it was replaced by GX9 a year ago. IF an E-M5 III hits, then the II will drop fast.

Plus the E-M5 II started out $200 higher, so even at same depreciation it should be a bit more expensive.

Latest threads

Top Bottom