small off camera lighting bag

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Anyone have any suggestions for a bag for a small 2 light setup... two nano type lightstands and compact umbrellas w/ the umbrella heads. Something like the standbagger grab and go model 6 but more laid out like the tactical satcom bag that was popular a while back

I'm wary of the ebay bags because I'ld like some kind of durability. I've found lots of things for larger stands, but looking for as compact as I can.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
Wow, I have been looking for that StandBagger Grab 'n Go for months!

I saw it once a long time ago before I was into off-camera lighting, and when I found I did need a lighting bag much later I couldn't remember what it was called or find it again for the life of me. So thanks for posting that! :tongue:

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Try the Vktech portable canvas rucksack on Amazon. It should suit your purpose and it's only $33.

Heh, a bit bigger than I had intended :) But actually a pretty nice looking option for general use.

Wow, I have been looking for that StandBagger Grab 'n Go for months!

I saw it once a long time ago before I was into off-camera lighting, and when I found I did need a lighting bag much later I couldn't remember what it was called or find it again for the life of me. So thanks for posting that! :tongue:

glad it was helpful!

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Of course, as soon as I post this, I actually come across something that might work
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/222469-REG/Hakuba_PSTC_100_PSTC_100_Tripod_Case.html

Though, still taking suggestions, heh

I have this excellent Hakuba tripod case and use it to carry 2 nano stands, 2 Godox bare bulb flashes with battery packs, 2 fold up 18" beauty dishes (that pack like umbrella's) and assorted misc grips, studs, battery clamps and the transmitters. Liked it so much that I bought the largest size as well for carrying 3 more H D stands, light boom arm, 3 Godox lights and 3 Apollo modifers when needed. Both are very good quality, not flimsy at all, and an excellent buy for the price.

Couple of photos attached:

156849368.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

156849369.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
I have no idea how get you all of that in a Hakuba PSTC 100 bag, a seam on mine started coming apart when packed that tight. But it does work well for 3 small stands, 3 smaller umbrellas, and quite a few accessories including a couple of FL-50R flashes.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have this excellent Hakuba tripod case and use it to carry 2 nano stands, 2 Godox bare bulb flashes with battery packs, 2 fold up 18" beauty dishes (that pack like umbrella's) and assorted misc grips, studs, battery clamps and the transmitters. Liked it so much that I bought the largest size as well for carrying 3 more H D stands, light boom arm, 3 Godox lights and 3 Apollo modifers when needed. Both are very good quality, not flimsy at all, and an excellent buy for the price.

I ended up getting this, but damn, didn't realize it could fit that much, heh. May be a bit bigger than I needed. Only if I could replace my flashes with some of those Godoxes, heh

SNTP

Mu-43 Regular

May I ask which beauty dishes you have there? Do they just directly attach to your Godox? How are they in out door situations with light wind?
Thanks

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro

brettmaxwell

Mu-43 Veteran
I had a Standgrabber Grab N Go, it's a nice idea, but I prefer one with a long zipper to really open up the bag. I have a Hakuba tripod bag, probably the same model as the picture on the first page of this thread, and it's perfect for a couple nano stands and accessories.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
May I ask which beauty dishes you have there? Do they just directly attach to your Godox? How are they in out door situations with light wind?
Thanks

Yes, they are the Godox AD-S7 and attach to the Godox/Cheetah lights without speed rings. Just like the Godox metal reflectors, they slide into the circular opening around the bulb and there is a knob (on the light) to tighten them. They come with a grid, diffuser, metal deflector and small bag. Light weight, easy to carry, I bought them from ebay HK, only $40, quite a bargain.

I use them almost exclusively outside. In light winds I use either my camera backpack or sandbags to weight them and the nano stands down.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
I have no idea how get you all of that in a Hakuba PSTC 100 bag, a seam on mine started coming apart when packed that tight. But it does work well for 3 small stands, 3 smaller umbrellas, and quite a few accessories including a couple of FL-50R flashes.

You ought to see me pack the Jeep when I go camping……. :eek:

Actually, since the nano stands are just under 19" long, there is a 9" long section at the big end that is empty. The Godox/Cheetah lights are not much bigger than large speedlights. The 2 batteries and lights just lay in there fine. The 2 umbrella grips and battery clamps fit in the side pocket. There is an inside pocket which holds the 6" diameter BD deflector just perfect.

My case is very well made, can't see that it would come apart unless the zipper was under stress, which mine is not.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro

Actually, since the nano stands are just under 19" long, there is a 9" long section at the big end that is empty. The Godox/Cheetah lights are not much bigger than large speedlights. The 2 batteries and lights just lay in there fine. My case is very well made, can't see that it would come apart unless the zipper was under stress, which mine is not.

I just got mine, and that space is perfect for the flashes. I just need to find a way to protect them, as I feel like the stands will jam into them, heh. Yes, there's an outside pocket, but I can't fit both flashes there. Probably will use that for spare batteries/umbrella adapter.

Definitely bigger than I anticipated, but it'll be workable. The strap does kinda suck IMO, but I may be spoiled by my Retrospective...

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Linh, your speedlights didn't come with cases? The end of my nano stands have rubber tips, that is the end I put agains the Cheetah lights. They come with a felt type bag and it works fine.

But if I was shipping them on a plane for instance, I would put more protection in between the end of the stands and the lights, maybe a 6" round tupperware bowl to hold the ends of the stands.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
The "case" with my flashes are jokes, heh. Even my canon one back in the day... it wouldn't protect against impact. There's a bit of sliding room, enough that I'd be afraid of a slight impact. I have an extra foam insert I'll slide the flashes into. That should work fine.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint

Actually, since the nano stands are just under 19" long, there is a 9" long section at the big end that is empty. The Godox/Cheetah lights are not much bigger than large speedlights. The 2 batteries and lights just lay in there fine. The 2 umbrella grips and battery clamps fit in the side pocket. There is an inside pocket which holds the 6" diameter BD deflector just perfect.

My case is very well made, can't see that it would come apart unless the zipper was under stress, which mine is not.

The case is very well made. Mine has been (ab)used a lot since I acquired it! And the only damage is about 2" of seams that bind the zipper to the bag, which I had I significantly stressed.

I use Quntum gear so about the same size as your stuff. I must been have packing more in the bag than just two of each - I could not remember exactly what I packed so pulled mine out, repacked it and two of each was not a problem. I might have been trying to add a small tripod.

I have to admit that whatever I had packed in it to begin with I was stressing the whole bag and the zipper which I was surprised held very well. It was a seam just the other side of the zipper at the end of the bag. But I highly recommend the bag, especially since the low price and abuse it will take.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
For my Quantum T5dRs, about the same size as the Godox/Cheetah lights I'm pretty sure I'm using Op/Tech Large SnootBoots for them. I do remove the bulbs for transport and found some heavy duty cardboard tubes they fit in and protect them.

Latest threads

Top Bottom