1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Small manual flash

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by fredlong, Sep 16, 2013.

1. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'm looking for a small lower powered flash with manual output control. I plan on using 1 or 2 for close-up and macro work. I don't want TTL because of the long delay in firing, not to mention the cost is too high for me right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Fred

2. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
  3. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have two of those from the old days when TTL worked well for me. Two problems with the T32; they're too powerful and only have full and half power manual settings and they're heavier than I'd like.

I'd like something light enough to put on a camera mounted bracket that positions the flash close to the subject.

Fred

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Fred,

Would the Metz 28 CS-2 work?

--Ken

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I love my Vivitar 2800! It's very compact (like the Olympus FL-36R or FL-600R), recycles good, but most of all it lasts FOREVER on a set of batteries! I only ever charge the batteries in my Vivitar 2800 because I have time to, not because they've run out (as opposed to my other flash units, especially the digital ones, which need fresh batteries every few hours on a shoot).

Sunpak also has a large selection of small flash. My only Sunpak is not small as it is a unique type which takes both AC and DC input, but all the other Sunpaks I've run across are all compact DC units. They are all very affordable.

6. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    That's closer to what I'm looking for. I took a look at the manual and there's no way to directly trigger it. It only functions as a slave. My Panny G2 doesn't have a manual flash setting so it ALWAYS fires a pre flash and I want to eliminate that delay.

Fred

7. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Thanks Ned. I'll have another look at the Sunpak and Vivitar catalogs. I don't remember any that have low power, a guide no. of 20 ft. at iso100 is plenty, and manual power settings.

Fred

8. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred