1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Small macro lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sinar, Dec 10, 2011.

1. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a macro lens? My main requirement is that it is small.

I do have a Sigma 105mm F2.8 Nikon fit macro lens that I use, but it is quite large and I'd really like a smaller lens to go with my travel kit.

Thanks for reading

• Like Like x 1
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Leica/Panasonic 45mm ƒ2.8

• Like Like x 2
  3. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    A 1" c-mount lens and a 5mm extension ring is probably the smallest (and fastest) you'll find.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Some use a "threaded front of lens adapter" to reversed the lens orientation shooting with the rear end of the lens out. I don't know if it is convenient, or if the magnification is too great.

-Chrome

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Closeup lenses are definitely a very small option for close up work. Not really a true macro but then again it depends what your needs are.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 and OM Zuiko 50mm f/3.5 are quite small macro lenses, but are not as small as the Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit due to the need of a Four-Thirds or OM mount adapter for the Zuiko lenses. They are significantly cheaper though, and perform admirably. The Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 in particular is a very sharp macro lens and achieves 1:1 (the OM one is only 1:2 without an extension tube or bellows).

The 90mm f/2.5 macro lenses tend to be more compact than the 100mm/105mm f/2.8 macros, if you still want the good working distance but want to keep fairly compact. Macro and compact are not terms which are supposed to go together, so the short 35-50mm focal lengths are the main exceptions at the sacrifice of working distance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    50 f2 is my tool of choice...hard to beat!

Sent from my Acer Iconia using TapaTalk...

• Like Like x 1
  8. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    I have a c-mount Fujinon 25mm f/0.85 that I use with a reverse adapter like you describe. The magnification is heavy, I don't know what factor it is, but if I frame a US quarter, I just get George Washington's chin and nose. Great for shooting snail portraits.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I don't know the physics of optics, but I think there is less magnification with a longer FL lens. Holding SLR 24mm and 50mm lenses to my body, I found the 50mm focused further away from the subject and the field of view was greater.

I'd love to see your snail portraits. Do you sell them?

-Chrome

10. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    ENlarging lenses are pretty small, and make great macro lenses

• Like Like x 1
  11. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    Thanks, i really was not looking to pay as much as that, but it is a lovely lens

12. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    Thanks, i'll look into the 2 Zuiko's you mention, I"m not really concerned about working distance, so they might be ideal

13. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    Can you tell me what brand the 50mm F2 is? thanks

14. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    Do you know which lens would be best to use with close up lenses? I have Panasonic 14-42mm, 20mm, and Oly 45mm F1.8.

I was wondering which would allow me to focus closer with a close up lens, I'd want to get at least quarter life size, but ideally half life size

15. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  16. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Pls post them. Here are some slugs (not m4/3, lumix P&S):

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/grantbphotos/6491681189/" title="Snail Yin Yang by grantb photos, on Flickr">"640" height="480" alt="Snail Yin Yang"></a>

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is a Zuiko Digital Four-Thirds lens, like the Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 I mentioned (I mentioned the 35mm because it's the smallest). These are two of the sharpest lenses you'll ever find, in particular the 50mm which is the sharpest.

Like the OM Zuiko macros, the 50mm is a 1:2 lens which requires an extension tube (the Olympus EX-25) to become 1:1. The 35mm however is a 1:1 lens with no extension tubes... but at an insanely close distance.

I would actually pick the 50mm over the 35mm for quality and ease of use, if the size and price tag are less of an issue. However, the 35mm is both very compact and very inexpensive making it the best bang for your buck.

You said the Leica Macro-Elmarit is more than you want to spend, so here's a few pricing comparisons from Amazon:

Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit: $669 ($899 full retail)
    Zuiko 50mm f/2: $449 ($599 retail) + DMW-MA-1 mount adapter for $180 = $629 ($799 full retail)
    Zuiko 35mm f/3.5: $224 ($289 retail) + DMW-MA-1 mount adapter for $180 = $404 ($469 full retail)

An OM Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 + adapter should run you less than $150. Give about $100 for the lens and $15-$25 for the adapter, then leave a bit for shipping and handling (since you can't just go to the store and buy this stuff). The OM adapter is much cheaper than the Four-Thirds adapter priced above, because it is a dumb adapter with no electrical communication. The DMW-MA1, Olympus MMF-1, and Olympus MMF-2 adapters for Four-Thirds lenses have full communication with the lens, and the lenses act like native lenses on a Micro Four-Thirds body, except that only a few Four-Thirds lenses are optimized for the AF system of a Mirrorless (ie, AF is there but will be slower than real native lenses).

Of course, once you invest once in a Four-Thirds mount adapter, that opens up a huge range of high quality "native" lenses to your collection. Then you would be able to enter the macro world for just the starting price of $224 for instance, or access lots of other lenses which are even better quality and less expensive than their Micro Four-Thirds counterparts. It may sound like a bit much, but it's a sound investment for future savings and possibilities.

• Like Like x 2