Small light tripod for GF1

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am still using my Cullman Magic2 fold up tripod I purchased 20+ years ago and now think it is time to replace it for something smaller.

I would like to get a small tripod that is light (carbon fibre?), strong yet goes high enough for me to use at chest height as the Cullman does.

I do not want to go crazy and spend mega amounts for something not used on a very regular basis but do want something that does the job and can be carried with convenience.

Any suggestions?

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
I agree Ian - we love to see suggestions

Maybe not as critical, (and therefore heavy), as DSLRs - as there is no "bouncing mirror" - although I always use "mirror up" when using the tripod

deckitout

Mu-43 Veteran
I looked into this after lugging my 30 year old manfrotto and D700 outfit through some local woods......never again.

I wanted a lightweight, compact carbon tripod, I carry my gear on a Motorcycle so had to consider not just weight but how small it folds down to.

I got a Manfrotto 190CXpro4, it weighs 1.34KG with a load capacity of 5KG which will suit both my 4/3 and M4/3 systems.
They do 3 and 4 section models, I chose the 4 as it folds down more than the 3 section

The head depending on which one you get will also weigh as much but together they are still an extremely lightweight portable kit. I paid around £200 IIRC + head £50ish and I got a nice bag as well, it is a nice bit of kit

http://www.parkcameras.com/Search/190cxpro4/

http://www.parkcameras.com/13002/Manfrotto-MN496RC2-Compact-Ball-Head.html

Hope this helps

I am still using my Cullman Magic2 fold up tripod I purchased 20+ years ago and now think it is time to replace it for something smaller.

I would like to get a small tripod that is light (carbon fibre?), strong yet goes high enough for me to use at chest height as the Cullman does.

I do not want to go crazy and spend mega amounts for something not used on a very regular basis but do want something that does the job and can be carried with convenience.

Any suggestions?

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I purchased a Gitzo basalt tripod in the summer, did lots of research and ended up with it after being able to give one a try at a local shop. BUT, I have heard very good things about Feisol tripods. I dont know how much you were thinking of spending, but during my research phase the repeating theme for tripods was, spend the money on the one that does everything you want and will stand the test of time; if you buy something cheaper and stick with the hobby, you will inevitably fork out for the better one later on. The Feisol tripods start at about $200 (I bought my ballhead at www.reallybigcameras.com - they also sell feisol stuff - the site is just a one man operation, Kerry answered alot of questions for me). If you have any questions he can help you out as well!

Do you have a ballhead setup at all? The photoclam head (terrible name) is amazing in practical uses as well, but then we are getting into a whole other realm. If you get a ballhead as well, at the very least it has friction control, which allows you to set a minimum tension so the head will lock with a given weight on it, but you can still move it to another position without having to release the tension knob.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
This is probably not what you are after, but I'm posting it anyway, just to let people know what's about. I ordered this a few days ago, so I can't give any first-hand views just yet. There has been many a time that I needed a sturdy little tripod with the full features of a regular tripod, and I wanted something really compact for my m4/3s gear and airline travelling, and this looked the goods. It opens from a min height of around 16cm to a max of around 68cm. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

K6G_OZ.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I should have also included the link (for this and other tripods): http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Link...69QQ_sidZ348023981QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Cheers

Ray

Elliot

Mu-43 Regular
Ray, I'll have to add that brand to my data base of tripods

I have never seen these before and some of my students will really like them.

There are so many brands out there and I have a tendency to stick to the primary one. I love Gitzo but for a lot of folks it is much to expensive but worth it.

We also recommend to the students, Benro, Induro, Manfrotto. For the micro four thirds gear I am now using the Gitzo Ocean Traveler and it is one of the finest set of legs I have ever used. I have their stainles head on it with a markens arcaswiss mini clamp. I also have the new Really Right Stuff B30 head which is a nice small quick release head.

I am also mounting heavier gear like a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 plus adapter with the EP-2 and it handles it really well.

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
I'd go to a store where they sell used tripods, and examine them.

Carbon-fibre (CF) tripods seem as if they'd wobble a lot more in the wind than pre-CF tripods. This may or may not matter, and anyway I'm just guessing and may be wrong.

When I was shopping for a tripod, perhaps four years ago, I was surprised and impressed by the low weight as well as the apparent rigidity of some recent non-CF tripods that are expensive by non-CF standards but very cheap compared with CF tripods.

Additionally, I don't know about where you are but at least in my part of the world used tripods that neither look new nor say Gitzo are pretty cheap.

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
Thus enters the tripod saying, there are 3 things that you look for in a tripod. Cheap, Sturdy and Lightweight. Unfortunately you can only have 2 of the 3, so pick your poison!

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks

Thank you all for the very valuable feedback.

As well as my Cullman I still have my Manfrotto #074 with #222 pistol grip, it is great and very robust but complete overkill for the GF1 and way too heavy and large to carry.

I have had my doubts about the stability of carbon fibre tripods in the wind but will continue my quest so thank you all and I will use all your feedback in my persuit for happiness.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Thank you all for the very valuable feedback.

As well as my Cullman I still have my Manfrotto #074 with #222 pistol grip, it is great and very robust but complete overkill for the GF1 and way too heavy and large to carry.

I have had my doubts about the stability of carbon fibre tripods in the wind but will continue my quest so thank you all and I will use all your feedback in my persuit for happiness.

This is one of the reasons I like the manfrotto 785. Its one package, light weight, sturdy enough for the EP1, and has a pistol grip. I've even used it with a pair of 10x50 binoculars.

Dj

CalBoy87

New to Mu-43
Check the Velbon series

Did you check the Velbon Maxi/Luxi series? I am in similar shoes and they look good, about 150 USD, but light, high and small folded, rated 1,5 or 2 kg. Manfrotto 785B seems nice but a bit too light, rating only 1 kg for me.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Did you check the Velbon Maxi/Luxi series? I am in similar shoes and they look good, about 150 USD, but light, high and small folded, rated 1,5 or 2 kg. Manfrotto 785B seems nice but a bit too light, rating only 1 kg for me.

Yeah, I didn't need anything with that weight rating. The Pen even with the panny 14-150 still comes under the 1KG/2.2lb capacity. If needing to add heavy flash or other accessories, that definantly would overload the tripod. I just think its a great hiking tripod.

CalBoy87

New to Mu-43
Now you got me thinking of it too, I am not planning to use anything heavier then 14-140, so I might be OK with Manfrotto and keep some green. How is the plate on this tripod? You think I could still open battery door on GH1 with it?

Latest threads

Top Bottom