1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'Small Gear Thought'

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RT_Panther, Feb 14, 2013.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    So I've got this new E-PL5 & some fast glass too. Sitting on the bench is the E-PL2 for back-up.

Then there's my E-PL1 which was set aside for IR conversion. However, I'm now having second thoughts on this & it occurred to me today that my trusty 'ol E-PL1 would be my daylight shooter with fast glass.

Why? - That good 'ol native ISO 100 :smile: (& I've got tons of ND filters)

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PL1 has ISO 100 but the E-PL2 and E-PL5 both have a faster maximum shutter speed which makes up the same difference. I would go ahead and convert the E-PL1.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Guess I'm biased because I also love the native 50 ( :eek: ) ISO of my Sigma DP2 :smile:

I do have ND filters so option 2 would be to convert the E-PL2

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nu, I wouldn't convert the E-PL2. It's a better overall camera in every way. It will offer you a similar level of control, LCD resolution, and better build than the E-PL5, making it a better backup for your main.

I still use my E-PL2 as a studio workhorse, myself.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You get the same effect by overexposing at 200 on the newer Pens. Granted, the metering isn't as helpful, but the image quality is identical.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have an extra body that I've thought about converting to IR - just don't know that I'd use it enough to justify the cost.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I never give a second thought to low ISO. I never seem to shoot in bright light. If you like low ISO, however, you have tough road to travel. No one markets good low iso properties to the masses.

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I've noticed this. I wonder if the quality/sensitivity of today's sensors has gone far enough past what film could render that we no longer really need the low ISO's. Be interested to hear some thoughts on the subject.

9. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    Two thoughts related to what RevBob has raised in his last 2 posts...

Now that I have an OM-D and I keep my E-30 as backup, my original digital body, an E-500, is unused. Perhaps I should consider converting it to IR. The only problem I have with that is that I do not think that the E-500 has a metering facility or focusing from the sensor itself and, therefore, would have the problems associated with IR with both exposure and focus... but I'm not very smart on those issues, so maybe someone else knows...

As far as low ISO shooting goes, I have to say that I miss it, and more so now, since for the past 20 years I have lived in TX, where we have notoriously bright, bald, high contrast skies. I had always used selective focus as a key compositional element in my shooting... and when you are limited to ISO 100 or 200, that becomes difficult unless you are going to shoot with ND filters. I would not want to do it for image quality but for composition. I suppose that having to use ND filters is the ways it is going to be, but I would so much prefer to be able to set my OM-D ISO to 25 or 50, rather than 200. Of course, that also means having more fast lenses for m4/3s than I do now to be able to really take advantage of that slower speed. I do use a number of manual focus lenses from my earlier life in film shooting.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Low ISO ...

Interesting ... most Sony interline transfer CCD have an electronic shutter that easily permits times to 1/10000 sec. I wonder if such fast shutters can help in this respect. Sure there are some modest performance penalties for use of electronic shutters but it might be a nice functional extension.

I didn't try to find a datasheet for the sensor in the EM-5 to see what options are there ... if that info is even available.

11. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    If you still have your film set up, I really suggest getting some Adox 25 iso. It is truly stunning. It is the highest resolving film currently (maybe ever) made, and it really is just... stunning. Search it on flikr for some great images.
    eg:Sleepy Dancing | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    This guys portraits just make my jawdrop. and it was developed in... coffee.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    That is an incredible portrait - definitely jaw dropping. :cool:

13. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    I still have some slow speed film stock in both 4x5 and 35mm... and I first learned color slide shooting on Kodachrome 25, then KR64.

It would be kinda cool to have an electronic shutter capability that gave you higher possible speeds. From my film days, I still think of top shutter speeds of 1/400 or 1/500 ... I never even think to look at the speeds in excess of 1/1000.

14. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

I just ordered some ND filters today for this very reason. I was used to shooting wide open with my Pentax but I could set it at ISO80. When I did the numbers on shooting my 75/1.8 wide open at ISO200, that didn't work out for typical daylight around here. Guess it's time to get acquainted with the ND filters.

15. While the ISO 100 setting on the E-PL1 and other earlier Micro 4/3 models is a falsehood, it does allow the camera take care of the over-exposing and subsequent pulling of the exposure, and lets you see what the final result will look like in-camera.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm a high-key kinda guy so I prefer to keep that brighter exposure without pulling it down. :)

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Note To Self: Get some of that Adox film! :smile:

18. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

yeah i wondered when i read that, i don't think the epl1 (or any olumpus m43) has native iso 100, i beieve they are all native iso 200 base.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Well that settles it then - the E-PL1 will at sometime, get converted to IR and I'll continue to use the E-PL2 as a backup :smile: