Small format and rangefinder etc lenses

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Novoflex has released an adapter for the Samsung NX, but this only caters for DSLR lenses: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022306novoflexnx.asp. For the moment, it looks like m4/3s is the only format that will allow Leica and similar rangefinder lenses and maybe C mount to be used with an adapter. So size does matter. :biggrin:

Now if the Nikon rumours about a smaller than m4/3s format are true, then they may be able to take all lenses, including C mount without vignetting. :eek:

Cheers

Ray

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Ray,
What advantage is there for Nikon to go with a smaller sensor?
I haven't looked at anything I just thought maybe you could spread some light on the subject.
shooter

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Ray,
What advantage is there for Nikon to go with a smaller sensor?
I haven't looked at anything I just thought maybe you could spread some light on the subject.
shooter
There's only a rumour that Nikon is looking at going smaller in the sensor, not as small as the P&S, but smaller than 4/3s. I guess the advantage will be an even smaller format than you get with m4/3s, leading to what would be true pocketable cameras, with removable lenses, yet still a good sensor size. I only saw this rumour once, so it's probably way off the mark, but an interesting concept none the less, if there is any scrap of truth in it.

Cheers

Ray

ahuyevshi

Mu-43 Veteran
IMO I don't think the big two are going to get into M4/3rds... They would have to spend the money to replicate most of their glass... Oly and Panny don't have a big presence in the Pro world, so for them this allowed them to enter a fairly new market...

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
IMO I don't think the big two are going to get into M4/3rds... They would have to spend the money to replicate most of their glass... Oly and Panny don't have a big presence in the Pro world, so for them this allowed them to enter a fairly new market...
I've been thinking much the same, but if the 'micro' format proves to be a sustainable market, they can't afford not to enter into that market; especially if that format starts to rob sales from the P&S and DSLR market which it will. Who has the most to lose in that case? And how long can they wait before they are well and truly behind the eight ball?

Cheers

Ray

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
samsung has thrown down the gauntlet to "own" the mirrorless camera market
I think that sounds more like usual rivalry that goes on between Korea and Japan. The mirrorless camera market already includes every P&S, so they have a very long road ahead of them. Watch out for the speed bumps. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
Novoflex has released an adapter for the Samsung NX, but this only caters for DSLR lenses: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022306novoflexnx.asp.
Er . . . not quite. The page says that "Adapaters [sic] will be available for the following lenses":

• Nikon F
  • Canon FD
  • Minolta MD
  • Minolta/Sony Alpha
  • Leica R
  • Pentax K
  • Olympus OM
  • M42
  • T2

I don't know what T2 is (a Samsung mount, perhaps? a Tamron Adaptall?) but I note various film SLR mounts with interest. Considering how many people happily mount SLR lenses on M4/3 cameras (and don't complain about how much of the image circle is being wasted), mounting FD and similar lenses on a Samsung body might be an attractive notion. Moreover, what Novoflex is announcing now, enterprising Chinese people might be selling soon enough -- and perhaps with more choice, considering that the only people now making Hexanon AR to M4/3 adapters are (I think) Chinese.

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hmmm, not sure I would put much faith in the Nikon rumour, and certainly not in them producing a sensor that sits between compact and 4/3rds, however, I am sure they and Canon are both looking at the growing success of the 4/3rds format and kicking themselves for not getting on board when they had the chance.

I still stand by my comments in another post that I suspect that other than Pro cameras, we will see a growing trend toward smaller pocketable interchangeable lens camera with sensors around 4/3rds & APS-C sized - the problem being, will makers want to invest in new bodies, sensors and lenses or will they try and buy into the micro 4/3rds group and will Olympus and Panasonic want to share their success?

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Er . . . not quite. The page says that "Adapaters [sic] will be available for the following lenses":

• Nikon F
  • Canon FD
  • Minolta MD
  • Minolta/Sony Alpha
  • Leica R
  • Pentax K
  • Olympus OM
  • M42
  • T2

I don't know what T2 is (a Samsung mount, perhaps? a Tamron Adaptall?) but I note various film SLR mounts with interest. Considering how many people happily mount SLR lenses on M4/3 cameras (and don't complain about how much of the image circle is being wasted), mounting FD and similar lenses on a Samsung body might be an attractive notion. Moreover, what Novoflex is announcing now, enterprising Chinese people might be selling soon enough -- and perhaps with more choice, considering that the only people now making Hexanon AR to M4/3 adapters are (I think) Chinese.
I meant adapters (my bad). The T2 is a general purpose screw mount made by Tamron.

Cheers

Ray

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom