Small format and rangefinder etc lenses

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by OzRay, Feb 23, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Novoflex has released an adapter for the Samsung NX, but this only caters for DSLR lenses: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022306novoflexnx.asp. For the moment, it looks like m4/3s is the only format that will allow Leica and similar rangefinder lenses and maybe C mount to be used with an adapter. So size does matter. :biggrin:

Now if the Nikon rumours about a smaller than m4/3s format are true, then they may be able to take all lenses, including C mount without vignetting. :eek:

Cheers

Ray

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ray,
    What advantage is there for Nikon to go with a smaller sensor?
    I haven't looked at anything I just thought maybe you could spread some light on the subject.
    shooter

3. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    There's only a rumour that Nikon is looking at going smaller in the sensor, not as small as the P&S, but smaller than 4/3s. I guess the advantage will be an even smaller format than you get with m4/3s, leading to what would be true pocketable cameras, with removable lenses, yet still a good sensor size. I only saw this rumour once, so it's probably way off the mark, but an interesting concept none the less, if there is any scrap of truth in it.

Cheers

Ray

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
  5. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    IMO I don't think the big two are going to get into M4/3rds... They would have to spend the money to replicate most of their glass... Oly and Panny don't have a big presence in the Pro world, so for them this allowed them to enter a fairly new market...

6. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've been thinking much the same, but if the 'micro' format proves to be a sustainable market, they can't afford not to enter into that market; especially if that format starts to rob sales from the P&S and DSLR market which it will. Who has the most to lose in that case? And how long can they wait before they are well and truly behind the eight ball?

Cheers

Ray

7. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Definitely agreed when it gets to that point they will have to... Plus all around for consumers..

8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the nx will never be able to mount leica m as i understand it

9. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    samsung has thrown down the gauntlet to "own" the mirrorless camera market

they also said firmware updates would be used as a customer relationship builder and not just a bug fix tool

and they were surprised that for every 100 cameras they sell they sell 50 30mm f2 pancakes , are these guys finally buying a clue????

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022305samsungmirrorless.asp

10. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I think that sounds more like usual rivalry that goes on between Korea and Japan. The mirrorless camera market already includes every P&S, so they have a very long road ahead of them. Watch out for the speed bumps. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  11. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Er . . . not quite. The page says that "Adapaters [sic] will be available for the following lenses":

• Nikon F
    • Canon FD
    • Minolta MD
    • Minolta/Sony Alpha
    • Leica R
    • Pentax K
    • Olympus OM
    • M42
    • T2

I don't know what T2 is (a Samsung mount, perhaps? a Tamron Adaptall?) but I note various film SLR mounts with interest. Considering how many people happily mount SLR lenses on M4/3 cameras (and don't complain about how much of the image circle is being wasted), mounting FD and similar lenses on a Samsung body might be an attractive notion. Moreover, what Novoflex is announcing now, enterprising Chinese people might be selling soon enough -- and perhaps with more choice, considering that the only people now making Hexanon AR to M4/3 adapters are (I think) Chinese.

12. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    but no m mount , it is said to be impossible , a shame for a short flange to sensor camera such as the nx

13. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hmmm, not sure I would put much faith in the Nikon rumour, and certainly not in them producing a sensor that sits between compact and 4/3rds, however, I am sure they and Canon are both looking at the growing success of the 4/3rds format and kicking themselves for not getting on board when they had the chance.

I still stand by my comments in another post that I suspect that other than Pro cameras, we will see a growing trend toward smaller pocketable interchangeable lens camera with sensors around 4/3rds & APS-C sized - the problem being, will makers want to invest in new bodies, sensors and lenses or will they try and buy into the micro 4/3rds group and will Olympus and Panasonic want to share their success?

14. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I meant adapters (my bad). The T2 is a general purpose screw mount made by Tamron.

Cheers

Ray