Small/fast Panasonic Camera

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rklepper, Feb 22, 2015.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I am going to get my daughter a camera for her birthday. She has a rambunctious 2 year old son. I would like to find something $400 or below with a fast enough lens to capture some motion for her. I like Panasonic as that is what I have and I think it would be easier to help her with any questions.

Any suggestions of what to look at?

Thanks

2. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Oh and she prefers point and shoot.

3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    If it has to be Panasonic, the TZ models come to mind. Or perhaps an LF1? Those have come down in price quite a bit around here ...

I'd say the Canon S120 or the Nikon P340 would be nice alternatives; and then there's always an Olympus XZ-10 - or even XZ-2, at that price. And if the XZ-2, why not the Pentax MX-1? All of those are rather sturdy for portable point and shoot cameras ...

If she doesn't know what will become of the camera, she should stay reasonably cheap - a Canon S110 or Olympus XZ-10 fill that bill quite convincingly, almost as good as the newest generation, small and made out of metal. The XZ-10 is way underrated (as is the XZ-2, in some respect).

M.

4. pterosonus

pterosonus Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 17, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Terry
    If she wants to take pix of her kids indoors then the slow apertures of the TZ models might not be best. What about LX7 with its 1.4 to 2.3 aperture range? Its on the large side of compact size but is less than $400 new at Amazon; even less used on eBay.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yeah one of the LX models, even an older one.
    Their max apertures are decent.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Honestly, a consumer oriented m43 body in auto mode with a 14mm f2.5, 17mm f2.8 or 19mm f2.8 would be even more "point and shoot" than a point and shoot. No zooming, fast shutter and AF, good high ISO and fast aperture. You really could just point and shoot without worrying. Olympus E-PM2 and Panasonic GM1 or GF6 come to mind.

LX7 is about the only Panasonic point and shoot fast enough to really compete, and it's kind of complicated and intimidating for a non-photographer. My wife hated using ours. If it has to be a point and shoot, the Sony RX100 series is pretty hard to beat with the 1" sensor and f1.8 aperture at wide angle.

Anything with a 1/2.3" sensor barely beats a good cell phone for picture quality.

7. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    That LX7 looks like just the ticket. The only reason I was thinking Panasonic is that there should be some similarity between any of them as regards to settings/menus, etc... Although the Sony does look very good.

Thanks

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One other option is the Panasonic LF1. Same sensor as the LX7, but the camera is significantly more compact. The tradeoff is a 28-200mm f2-5.9 zoom vs the 24-90 f1.4-2.3 on the LX7. The LF1 also has a small built in EVF.

9. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Another recommendation for the LX7

Learn about its hyperfocal focus setting for DOF and kiss byebye to focusing created shutter lag.

Its actually a stunning compact camera. I compared it to my GF1 and found almost no real quality reductions.