Small carry-around kit

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Yes, I agree with this - it's a question of making the size advantage count over the IQ advantage, and ENJOYING that advantage and the freedom to ditch a bag for the day.

That's what I have ended up doing - the GX* fits in Havana 21 with room for a couple more lenses, sunnies, wallet and phone. And in France lots of blokes have bags over their shoulders so it's totally normal.

For recording moments in life this is a good solution if you're not a phone photographer. My S120 did a lot of that and a G9X may well do the same. Unfortunately there just do not seem to be many bargain-priced ones out there :(
I think that you and @Toddster understand what I am trying to figure out. I do have compact cameras at my disposal, but none are really that shirt pocketable. It is funny, but this really is an exercise in millimeters, with each person having their own goal post settings. And yes, I have never warmed up to using my cell phone camera for anything more than a quick reference image. I have never taken to the UI and handling, and part of the potential appeal of the G9X is that it might just offer me a chance to tryout a touch screen UI, albeit one that is reasonably well designed and offering a decent amount of control. It is tempting, especially since I cannot find any alternatives that are as small with the same or better IQ.

--Ken

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thank you for the comparison shot! It sure puts everything into perspective. How does 12-32 compare to G7X lens if mounted on EM5 III (20 MP sensor)?
Glad to help! I think the 12-32 is a decent lens and I have found it performs well on Oly bodies as well. Lens IQ is sure enough for even 20 Mpix. Have not encountered anything to stay aware of (like above issue with the G7X lens). So I think it's quite solid combo, used it on vacation a few weeks some time ago and it was great. It's not so fast but the E-M5.3 has great IBIS so no problem on that body.

Don't like the fold-out function of the lens though, a little cumbersome if you should snap something fast. But if you have it on your shoulder there is no need to collapse it so then you don't have that issue :)
I can think though, that the 12-32 on the E-M5 feels a little odd. Have used it on the GM1 alot and there it feels better. But that is just pure pickiness, again :) nothing that affects performance.

/edit: Here is pic shot with this combo. Not straight outta cam, RAW then JPG without doing anything.
https://flic.kr/p/2m4pk4E

IMG_20210608_211507.jpg

Last edited:

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Thanks, Ken. I meant optical quality. Sorry for being vague.
Funny, I had not even thought of the other comparison. But in either event, no worries. My thoughts are somewhat similar to @Danny_SWE 's above about the 12-32. I primarily use it on compact bodies, and do not have a lot of complaints about it, but it would be an unusual day when I put it on one of my E-M1 bodies. A 12-40 is my everyday carry on these bodies. Regarding the comparison with the G7X, it is a good question, but a slightly unusual comparison. The G7X has a fairly fast zoom, and the 12-32 is a lot slower, not unlike the G9X. And it would be easy enough to "run the numbers" on speed, but the real question is how each lens performs at various focal lengths and lighting conditions. It is the same question I am asking about the G9X. I know it is not going to rival my 121-40, but is it acceptable?

--Ken

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
I was out with my small carry around kit 45 minutes before sunrise on Sunday morning. I was doing long, live composite exposures of a storm moving across the local bay.

Shortly before sunrise a hobbyist appeared and proceeded to spend several minutes setting up a spindly, flimsy tripod. He them pulled out a huge Nikon DSLR and what looked like some crappy third party superzoom.I was impressed that the tripod could support it, I wouldn't have trusted it as a light stand.

Once he'd stopped sneering at my E-M10 Mark II and the 12mm Samyang he asked what my shutter speed was I said between 2 and 8 minutes. End of discussion.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
While I almost opened up my wallet for a Canon G9X Mk. II, I was walking back into the house on a sunny day this week and a flower caught my attention. Then I realized that without an EVF, getting a good shot of it would have been a bit frustrating, as is sometimes the case with my GF7's rear screen, so I put the purchase on hold since I was not certain if I could live with this compromise again. And after trying to figure out if I could have my cake and eat it too with respect to a shirt-pocketable camera that offered what I wanted in a size I wanted, and at a price I wanted, I again came to the realization that "compromise curve" could not be bent in my favor. If I wanted things like a fast lens, tilting screen and an EVF, nothing was going to easily fit into my pocket, with the possible exception of an RX100, and the model which has the features I want is selling for about $850.00 USD, so it is not exactly a casual purchase (and it had its own issues so it was not exactly a perfect solution).

There is something quite appealing about an f/1.8-2.8 lens in a compact body with a 1" sensor that keeps calling out to me as an everyday camera, but most of the offerings seem to be holding back on one feature or another. I suspect I should pick myself up off the ground, dust myself off and walk away before Lucy holds out the "compact camera" football in front of me again. It is just too easy to believe that if I just search a bit harder that I can find exactly what I want.

--Ken

Armoured

Mu-43 Veteran
I love the compact camera football image. I've taken a run at that football many times and it always gets pulled away.

And this time, really, not going to do it. Really. Seriously.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I love the compact camera football image. I've taken a run at that football many times and it always gets pulled away.

And this time, really, not going to do it. Really. Seriously.
I'll help you dust yourself off next time and won't tell anybody, so no worries. I loved Peanuts as a kid, but as an adult, I have come to learn a lot more about life through things like Charlie Brown, Lucy and the football. Thankfully this is only about an extra camera, but there are days when this lesson plays out on much more important things in life, and then falling flat on my back is not so fun.

--Ken

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nikon 1200-1700mm f5.6~8s P ED-IF Lens largest biggest.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Armoured

Mu-43 Veteran
I'll help you dust yourself off next time and won't tell anybody, so no worries. I loved Peanuts as a kid, but as an adult, I have come to learn a lot more about life through things like Charlie Brown, Lucy and the football. Thankfully this is only about an extra camera, but there are days when this lesson plays out on much more important things in life, and then falling flat on my back is not so fun.

--Ken
I am laughing this morning because one of our previous compact football cameras has been sort-of missing for quite some time, and while I never gelled with it, I wouldn't mind trying it from time to time. And would be useful for others on a trip once in a while (if trips ever happen again). I've been asking my spouse periodically where it is.

Well, we're moving and finally I took over the 'clear the shelves' task in one room (that I never ever use) as it seems it was no-man's land - everyone claims it's not their stuff.

Found the old sony rx100 and so now I have a new-old toy to play with. Who knows, maybe I'll like it this time - see, I'm mentally setting myself up for the football, but at least no money out of pocket this time. (I'll admit, it's smaller than I remember - it is pretty close to pocketable.)

Also found a tiny nikon compact that must have been a gift at some point to one of the elder children. That will be given away as there's no sign of the charger - at least the sony can be charged with usb.

You know, what occurred to me with this discussion - what I believe is missing from the M43 eco-system is a light pro camera.

I was thinking with backpacking/camping equipment that there are companies that specialize in making expensive gear that uses expensive materials to be strong and light. It seems like the market for most of the compact cameras I've seen is the consumer - hence low price point and limitations.

Imagine something like an E-M1 Sport of something. Smaller, but most importantly light. Perhaps uses titanium or something. A set of prime lenses that are weather sealed, but again light - roughly the same size/weight as the f/1.8 non-Pro primes. Price point maybe a couple hundred Euro more than an E-M1.3, but same specs.

I could see a market for that...

Last edited:

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You know, what occurred to me with this discussion - what I believe is missing from the M43 eco-system is a light pro camera.

I was thinking with backpacking/camping equipment that there are companies that specialize in making expensive gear that uses expensive materials to be strong and light. It seems like the market for most of the compact cameras I've seen is the consumer - hence low price point and limitations.

Imagine something like an E-M1 Sport of something. Since is smaller, but most importantly light. Perhaps uses titanium or something. A set of prime lenses that are weather sealed, but again light - roughly the same size/weight as the f/1.8 non-Pro primes. Price point maybe a couple hundred Euro more than an E-M1.3, but same specs.

Count me in when that comes!! ?

The E-M5 is close to perfect. The lenses are difficult. The best lenses tend to be very large.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro

Imagine something like an E-M1 Sport of something. Smaller, but most importantly light. Perhaps uses titanium or something. A set of prime lenses that are weather sealed, but again light - roughly the same size/weight as the f/1.8 non-Pro primes. Price point maybe a couple hundred Euro more than an E-M1.3, but same specs.

Nikon made an F3 with Ti... Most pros will have a hired helper to function as pack mule.

I doubt there is much in the way of unit sales to be gained in m43 for this, causing the unit cost to skyrocket.

For lenses, the wt. is primarily in the glass not the plastic housing. One could attempt a design using optical quality plastic but there would be a high cost to the re-design.

I use a small prime or the tiny 12-32 zoom and a GM body for the lightest wt. carries. I have a Sony RX100 but the DR of that sensor is just too low for me, given the option of the GM with a 20 or 12-32, not to mention the more familiar menu system on the Panny.

Real Name
Walter
Speaking of pocketable, I found an old Canon Powershot SD200 among the things my late friend gave me before he passed. I thought, what a cute, pocketable little camera. I charged up the battery, checked the memory card and took it outside to get some test shots. Alas for the Canon, the photos I got out of my iPhone were much better and the iPhone is even more pocketable. The SD200 went back into the box, and will probably be recycled or trashed some day. Would I spend $500+ to get a "pocketable" camera? No. My iPhone will do for now.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have never thrown away anything that a friend gave to me. I have drank or burned them :whistling:, but never thrown away. I have a few of them in my office on display actually. One is a Squeezebox Touch network player that I friend sent me just twelve days before he passed away. It's actually faulty. He gave it to me to see if I could use any bits off it. But it's a surprising item of conversation. I have had people pass by for business, saw the box, and we would kick off from there talking about a lot more than was intended.

Real Name
Walter
I have never thrown away anything that a friend gave to me. I have drank or burned them :whistling:, but never thrown away. I have a few of them in my office on display actually. One is a Squeezebox Touch network player that I friend sent me just twelve days before he passed away. It's actually faulty. He gave it to me to see if I could use any bits off it. But it's a surprising item of conversation. I have had people pass by for business, saw the box, and we would kick off from there talking about a lot more than was intended.
I have many other items from my friend that I would keep as momentos, such as a Kodak Retina 1c and a Leica IIIf. The SD200 isn’t worth keeping. :)

Maybe I should offer it up on the Free to a good home thread?

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have many other items from my friend that I would keep as momentos, such as a Kodak Retina 1c and a Leica IIIf. The SD200 isn’t worth keeping. :)

Maybe I should offer it up on the Free to a good home thread?
That's not a bad idea.

Latest threads

Top Bottom