Small carry-around kit

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Yes, I agree with this - it's a question of making the size advantage count over the IQ advantage, and ENJOYING that advantage and the freedom to ditch a bag for the day.

That's what I have ended up doing - the GX* fits in Havana 21 with room for a couple more lenses, sunnies, wallet and phone. And in France lots of blokes have bags over their shoulders so it's totally normal.

For recording moments in life this is a good solution if you're not a phone photographer. My S120 did a lot of that and a G9X may well do the same. Unfortunately there just do not seem to be many bargain-priced ones out there :(
I think that you and @Toddster understand what I am trying to figure out. I do have compact cameras at my disposal, but none are really that shirt pocketable. It is funny, but this really is an exercise in millimeters, with each person having their own goal post settings. And yes, I have never warmed up to using my cell phone camera for anything more than a quick reference image. I have never taken to the UI and handling, and part of the potential appeal of the G9X is that it might just offer me a chance to tryout a touch screen UI, albeit one that is reasonably well designed and offering a decent amount of control. It is tempting, especially since I cannot find any alternatives that are as small with the same or better IQ.

--Ken

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thank you for the comparison shot! It sure puts everything into perspective. How does 12-32 compare to G7X lens if mounted on EM5 III (20 MP sensor)?
Glad to help! I think the 12-32 is a decent lens and I have found it performs well on Oly bodies as well. Lens IQ is sure enough for even 20 Mpix. Have not encountered anything to stay aware of (like above issue with the G7X lens). So I think it's quite solid combo, used it on vacation a few weeks some time ago and it was great. It's not so fast but the E-M5.3 has great IBIS so no problem on that body.

Don't like the fold-out function of the lens though, a little cumbersome if you should snap something fast. But if you have it on your shoulder there is no need to collapse it so then you don't have that issue :)
I can think though, that the 12-32 on the E-M5 feels a little odd. Have used it on the GM1 alot and there it feels better. But that is just pure pickiness, again :) nothing that affects performance.

/edit: Here is pic shot with this combo. Not straight outta cam, RAW then JPG without doing anything.
https://flic.kr/p/2m4pk4E

IMG_20210608_211507.jpg

Last edited:

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Thanks, Ken. I meant optical quality. Sorry for being vague.
Funny, I had not even thought of the other comparison. But in either event, no worries. My thoughts are somewhat similar to @Danny_SWE 's above about the 12-32. I primarily use it on compact bodies, and do not have a lot of complaints about it, but it would be an unusual day when I put it on one of my E-M1 bodies. A 12-40 is my everyday carry on these bodies. Regarding the comparison with the G7X, it is a good question, but a slightly unusual comparison. The G7X has a fairly fast zoom, and the 12-32 is a lot slower, not unlike the G9X. And it would be easy enough to "run the numbers" on speed, but the real question is how each lens performs at various focal lengths and lighting conditions. It is the same question I am asking about the G9X. I know it is not going to rival my 121-40, but is it acceptable?

--Ken

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I was out with my small carry around kit 45 minutes before sunrise on Sunday morning. I was doing long, live composite exposures of a storm moving across the local bay.

Shortly before sunrise a hobbyist appeared and proceeded to spend several minutes setting up a spindly, flimsy tripod. He them pulled out a huge Nikon DSLR and what looked like some crappy third party superzoom.I was impressed that the tripod could support it, I wouldn't have trusted it as a light stand.

Once he'd stopped sneering at my E-M10 Mark II and the 12mm Samyang he asked what my shutter speed was I said between 2 and 8 minutes. End of discussion.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom