Small carry-around kit

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
This is an interesting discussion, with some really valid points from all corners. And it's timely too, for I have ditched my zooms for a couple of weeks (just for a change), and now have the PL15, the P30 and the S60 in the bag with the GX8 as my EDC. It has certainly changed my modus operandii, but I've enjoyed the IQ of the photos I've taken much more.

I'm also really enjoying using the S60 again after so long. I still cannot believe this wonderful lens costs so little. All the system needs is a native 100mm'ish prime and I'd probably stick to them. Though a 50-200 would also fit the bill. I must start writing to Santa earlier this year.

(I've also got a little fitter by having to move back and forth a bit more, but that's another story :))

twigboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
One thing I don't like when using a cellphone as a camera (remember when they were separate?) is that there is no tactile feel to the "shutter release". I resort to a 3 second timer sometimes to help prevent a blurry photo -- it seems I can pop the button on a camera more steadily than I can on a phone, and I am not the only one I know with this little problem. Plus, buying a new $500 ~ $1000+ phone for a better camera just doesn't sit well with me.

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
The first thing I did to both the G9X and the S110 was...
@JLGF1
I have a s100 and consider it a great little camera. The one thing the 100 version does not have though is a touch screen so I am considering an upgrade. The s110 or s120 is an option as is the g9x. Since you have(had) both could you comment on the differences in the s120 vs the G9X? Would you consider the G9X an upgrade?

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
But the 'carry-around kit' difference is that the comparable primes ... are all tiny, and decent telephotos are much smaller than their FF equivalents. ...
I have some glass for full-frame that is just great, but gets far too little use because it's not just large and heavy, it's unwieldy. I'll have to thin that herd and face up to facts.
I mentioned this in the recent purchases thread, but I just got the Oly 30mm macro.
It's a very good example of the discussion above: tiny, performs well, not expensive - and because of that, extremely happy to have it to try. (Also internal focussing on a macro is impressive)
I just wouldn't be into lugging around a much-larger lens to experiment with macro - too much else on the go, kids, etc.

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
I had a S120 for four years, and took some great photos with it. I also developed a macro lens for the wee beast, photos here if anyone is interested. I should really think about getting another (it died a dusty death). The G9X also appeals - I shall have to try one and see what it feels like. I do like a small camera that REALLY slips out of sight into a pocket.

Last edited:

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I had a S120 for four years, and took some great photos with it. I also developed a macro lens for the wee beast, photos here if anyone is interested. I should really think about getting another (it died a dusty death). The G9X also appeals - I shall have to try one and see what it feels like. I do like a small camera that REALLY slips out of sight into a pocket.
How did you develop a macro lens for it? Inquiring minds want to know!:hmmm:

--Ken

P.S. Bonus points to those who know the origin of my second sentence.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
That is a marvelous piece of work, that album! I was wondering about the rig pixs, though. They seem to be missing?

Also pondering a second hand G9X mkII, I am somewhat intrigued by that.

So, I see in the Buy and Sell area a PEN E-PL5 for $160. Was curious about opinions on that. I understand 16MP - guessing the same sensor as my original E-M1. Also get worse autofocus and a lack of a viewfinder (which would normally be a deal-breaker, but I see there are external ones for it).

For my "light" kit -- thinking it might be good enough? The price point is eminently do-able...

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
So, I see in the Buy and Sell area a PEN E-PL5 for $160. Was curious about opinions on that. I understand 16MP - guessing the same sensor as my original E-M1. Also get worse autofocus and a lack of a viewfinder (which would normally be a deal-breaker, but I see there are external ones for it).

For my "light" kit -- thinking it might be good enough? The price point is eminently do-able...
I had an E-PL5 and it has focus problems so much so that I ended up selling it quite soon, and I love compact bodies. And the IS was not that useful. Perhaps I had a dud, but it was one of the few cameras that I bought than I ended up selling quite almost immediately.

--Ken

Thanks for the comments! I inquired about both that and the 60mm Macro. However, I'm still on the fence. Both would be "nice to haves" since the E-M1.2 works fine, and I have an OM-System macro that works (it's just a bit of a pain).

Definitely wouldn't hurt to have another body, and I certainly can't get something comparably light for that low of a price. So.....

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
So @JLGF1 's picture of the G9X has got me feeling like Charlie Brown and the football. I have looked at my small collection (pun intended) of pocketable past and present cameras and am trying to figure out why the Canon would be any different. It is definitely a compromise, as all cameras are, to get as small as it is, and if I am willing to live with the trade-offs, the big question would be is it small enough that I would actually carry it with me with any frequently? There were so many things I liked about my GR, and could forgive it for (slower AF, no tilting screen and no EVF), if not for the 28mm fixed lens, a focal length I have never really liked with any camera. The TG-3 that I bought for beach use does not shoot raw and I was never quite that impressed with the images it produced as they looked too over-processed and plasticky. My GF7 is a great camera, and I love it when travelling light, but it is much thicker and bulkier than these other bodies and is not shirt pocketable. Ideally I want the features of Canon's G7 or G5 bodies, but both are about the size of my GF7, albeit the G5 has an EVF. So, I guess the question I have for those who ended up with a G9 or similar extra small body is did the extreme size/weight savings make enough of a difference that you are frequently using the camera and not leaving it on a shelf somewhere?

--Ken

Tread-Lite

Mu-43 Rookie
There were a few mentions of Canon G5 X. I have done some tests against EM1 II with 12-40 2.8 and can also attest that the lens on G5 X is much softer unless stopped down to 5.6 when noise and diffraction kick in. I will be selling mine. I think EM10 IV with a set of primes will yield much better quality and will be more enjoyable to use. 12-45 also seems like tremendous option though on a bulky side…

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have the G7X, great camera. Have used it alot. The lens is very soft on full wide full open. Otherwise I like the results.
The 12-45 is 254 grams but quite bulky. Like it alot also but it is not a pocketable solution :)
Here compared with GM1 and some pancakes, some kombo of this is great for a small kit.

IMG_20210608_112731.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
So, I guess the question I have for those who ended up with a G9 or similar extra small body is did the extreme size/weight savings make enough of a difference that you are frequently using the camera and not leaving it on a shelf somewhere?
For me it did (sort of). I found that if the camera was too big to truly be a pocket camera (like the G5 or G7) it made no difference at all as to when the camera went with me; the G9 is right on the edge as far as being pocketable.

My ultimate solution was three fold: Pack my good camera in the smallest bag possible to encourage myself to carry it with me as much as possible. Dedicate a good older camera to always ride in the car. Carry a Canon s120 in a small pouch on my belt all of the time (the G9 would work well for this). I love using the s120 rather than my cellphone when I am not carrying a better camera.

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
For me it did (sort of). I found that if the camera was too big to truly be a pocket camera (like the G5 or G7) it made no difference at all as to when the camera went with me; the G9 is right on the edge as far as being pocketable.
Yes, I agree with this - it's a question of making the size advantage count over the IQ advantage, and ENJOYING that advantage and the freedom to ditch a bag for the day.
My ultimate solution was three fold: Pack my good camera in the smallest bag possible to encourage myself to carry it with me as much as possible.
That's what I have ended up doing - the GX8 fits in the Havana 21 with room for a couple more lenses, sunnies, wallet and phone. And in France lots of blokes have bags over their shoulders so it's totally normal.
Carry a Canon s120 in a small pouch on my belt all of the time (the G9 would work well for this). I love using the s120 rather than my cellphone when I am not carrying a better camera.
For recording moments in life this is a good solution if you're not a phone photographer. My S120 did a lot of that and a G9X may well do the same. Unfortunately there just do not seem to be many bargain-priced ones out there :(

Last edited:

Tread-Lite

Mu-43 Rookie
I have the G7X, great camera. Have used it alot. The lens is very soft on full wide full open. Otherwise I like the results.
The 12-45 is 254 grams but quite bulky. Like it alot also but it is not a pocketable solution :)
Here compared with GM1 and some pancakes, some kombo of this is great for a small kit.
Thank you for the comparison shot! It sure puts everything into perspective. How does 12-32 compare to G7X lens if mounted on EM5 III (20 MP sensor)?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom