Small camera to go with the OM-D

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by curiouspeter, Apr 19, 2013.

1. curiouspeter

curiouspeter New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2013
    What should I get?

I want to get a go-anywhere camera with wide-angle lens for landscape, architecture, and fine art. It will be used only at the base ISO mostly without a tripod. 80% of the pictures will be converted to black and white.

I put in a pre-order for the Ricoh GR but it won't be shipped for weeks. I am also considering the Sigma DP1m.

I always wanted a Ricoh GR for the form factor and usability. The Sigma is perhaps the polar opposite. It is essentially a block with a lens attached. However, the Merrill can resolve amazing fine details without moire patterns (but with aliasing). Moire should not be an issue for landscape but buildings (and other man-made objects) can pose a challenge.

I am comfortable with Adobe Lightroom but I dread having to use brushes to remove moire because they make my dated iMac feel even slower. The thought of having to use SPP to process X3F files scares me because I read about all the bugs and sluggishness. (I have a computer software background and I am sensitive to software quality.)

Do you guys have good/bad experience on Ricoh and/or the Sigma Merrill?

Any tips?

Thanks! :smile:
  2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    If you are going for a fixed WA lens I must say the GR looks wonderful. Right now looks a lot better than the Nikon A.

I suspect the likely very limited moire brushing you might have to do with the GR is going to be minor compared to dealing with SPP as far as workflow goes.

I've definitely seen some very stunning images from the DPm's but I don't have much experience with them. The earlier DPs were just horrible to shoot with from my brief encounter with one though I understand the newer ones are better if still not that ergonomically friendly. That said, landscape/architecture/fine art seem like a shooting style where the slowness of a DP wouldn't be a disadvantage at all.

Finally, my usual recommendation for a "go-anywhere" camera would be the RX100. When you account for how fast its lens is at the wide end it actually has the same low-light performance as the Nikon A or GR. On top of that, however, the RX100 has IS which actually gives it the advantage - plus a zoom of course. The UI is actually pretty darn good. I simply can't imagine buying a Nikon A with the RX100 around - even if they cost the same (which they don't). Both cameras have softish corners. Now with the GR out (assuming it has no hiccups and initial sample images are valid) it does seem to offer a decent alternative to the RX100 as it has a really sharp lens and presumably a very nice UI.
  3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Take a look at the soundimageplus blog. He does mostly landscapes at base ISO for stock, and has a lot to say about the Sigma Merrils. Could be helpful for you.

Personally, I have an X100 that suits me fine for architecture, church interiors and general travel/landscape.
  4. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    The iPhone 5's camera has an effective focal length of 33mm, so fairly wideish. You have your phone with you all the time, presumably, so it's 'go-anywhere' by default I suppose. I'm not sure I would find use for a compact in your position, given that the OM-D is not that much bigger, yet much more capable. You can also do stuff like HDR and more general image processing right on the phone, which could prove handy if you plan to do B+W conversions with them all.
  5. curiouspeter

Apr 10, 2013
    RX100 is great! But corner performance is quite important for landscape and architecture. Hopefully Olympus will offer a future OM-D with a scaled-up sensor from the RX100, perhaps with 38MP for oversampling.

From what I have seen so far, the new GR appears to have very good corner sharpness at infinity. It will have great understated looks and ergonomics. However, I am not sure if it provides sufficient IQ improvement over the OM-D with a good lens.

I can feel it already. The Sigma will be a love/hate relationship. I just don't know how much love and hate there will be. Nevertheless, if the files are *that* good (under some conditions) it may complement the OM-D well.

Files from the iPhone 5 are not acceptable to my eyes. :)

Pixel-peeping is a disease. But sadly I have been infected.
  6. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

And for most shots utilising the rule of thirds.
  7. curiouspeter

Apr 10, 2013
    Yes! If the edges are not sharp I will have to use a wider lens and then crop to put the subject in the rule-of-third location.

I guess corner pixel-peeping is even more damaging to my wallet. :smile:

I do not mind stopping down to f/4.5 or f/6.3 though.