Small body for 4K video

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by erb3742, Jan 6, 2018.

1. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Boston
    Eric
    Looking for a small body to complement an EM-5 mk 1 and an EM-1 mk 1 for shooting 4K video and carrying around with just a small pancake. I’ve always been an Olympus guy with bodies but have always heard Panasonic is better for video. Looking to mainly shoot video of my toddler running around and clips of the family. I’ve been eyeing the GX85... all advice welcomed!

2. The GX85 is a decent choice, but the lack of a flip monitor is a bit annoying for video, and it does not give an option for an external microphone in future if you need to do anything that needs good sound. Be warned that though the onboard mics are okay for indoors, if there's wind outside it will sound terrible (this is univeral, you need a physical foam or fluffy cover to reduce wind noise). Your only choice on this front with the GX85 is an external recorder.

You could also consider replacing the E-M5 Mk1 with a G85 which would work well for stills too and would give you a flip monitor which is really handy for video. The G85 also has a mic input.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. erb3742

Oct 3, 2012
    Boston
    Eric
    Anyone here have first hand experience using the GX85 for video? Not a lot of threads on this camera...

4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Yep. It's really good for the price. But if you want sound in video the only way to go unless you go professional camcorder is external sound. Lots of ways of doing it, but my favorite rig now is the Gx85 mounted on a Tascam D60 and the mic on top of the camera in the shoe. Several benefits to this setup. You can record internal and external sound and even use different mics with level controls and you have headphone jack out. It all depends on how serious you are about having very good sound (great sound costs a lot, lot more:) )

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    IIRC, the GX850 now offers 4k.

--Ken

6. I've got one, and yes it does. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for 4K though, recording length is severely limited due to heat issues (it may even stop early in hot weather).

7. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    That thought had crossed my mind too, but since the subject was a toddler running around, I was not sure if that would be an issue and thought I would throw it in the mix as the OP wanted small choices.

--Ken

8. Oh and I forgot - no IBIS! For hand-held shooting the IBIS in the GX85 is a huge advantage, especially given that the main lenses will be unstabilised primes. We normally leave the 12-32 on for video which at least has OIS. Primary subject is also a toddler.

9. erb3742

Oct 3, 2012
    Boston
    Eric
    I thought about the GX850 since it is even smaller and makes a nice small kit for also taking stills though the 5minute limit turned me off for video recording. There is a GX85 I can pickup local, body only for $400. Just debating if I am going to be happy with not having a mic input long term and should just go with a larger body...

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I thought they added the IBIS to this generation of the GFx/GX850 body? :hmmm: I know the GF7 does not have it, but I thought that the newer body did. I blew that call.

--Ken

11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    IQ is quite nice. AF is a little slow though

12. erb3742

Oct 3, 2012
    Boston
    Eric
    Thanks for the examples. That’s concerning that the AF is that slow. Makes me wonder if it is a good choice to video a toddler around the house.

13. Is the AF faster if you put in in AFS mode and use the touch focus option?

14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The videos that I posted are a worse case scenario - a wide aperture with a narrow DOF with the Oly 45 1.8. Here's a sample of the GX85 with more DOF and the Lumix 12-35 F2.8 (warning: political content)

Here's another sample with the 12-35 F2.8 (warning: more political content). This is pretty low light (the cars in the background have their light on) and I think I was ISO1600 and on the longer end of the zoom.

But if you've got a rambunctious toddler, maybe the answer is a phone with good 4k video paired to a gimbal like the DJI Osmo Mobile. There's a new one out and it's much cheaper than the original.

15. Ed Diaz

Ed Diaz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2017
    Just curious what your AF settings are for the larger DOF samples. Those look pretty good.

I'm a casual/novice 4K video shooter - mostly kids activities (sports, performances, etc.). I started with a G7, switched to the LX100 for the smaller form factor, and then moved to the GX85 for the IBIS. AF is pretty slow and sometimes hunts a bit. I usually just use MF and try to set aperture for adequate DOF (e.g., front to back of stage if I'm taking video of a performance). IBIS really helps out, especially if you're not planning on carrying a tripod with you. Aside from 4K phones, which work great, another option would be a 4K P&S with a 1" or smaller sensor. Got a great deal on an RX100 V, and the 4K AF works great. Guessing that the larger DOF with the smaller sensors make AF easier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Both Panasonic and Olympus video C-AF still suck - not good enough for toddlers really unless you're shooting wide with big DoF. The 12-32 f/3.5-5.6 is rather appropriate in this regard.

Canon and Sony are the class leaders in video AF, but Canon like neutering their lower end offerings so don't do 4K...

17. erb3742

Oct 3, 2012
    Boston
    Eric
    I know, really trying to not get sucked into Sony FF and ditch m43. I love the size and all the great primes that I have accumulated. Probably going to give a GX85 a shot and see if it does what I am looking to do.

18. The A6000 et al appear pretty decent too, no need to go FF. The A6500 even has IBIS to go with 4K and decent video AF. Good lenses are limited but Sigma's ART DN primes (19/30/60 for 28/45/90 equivalent) are right at home on E-mount.

19. erb3742

Oct 3, 2012
    Boston
    Eric
    The A6500 looks like an interesting option

20. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    The YouTube demos I have seen of Canon’s 6D video AF was not impressive. Slow and didn’t even keep up with a person just walking toward the camera.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.