Small bag recommendation

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Out of curiosity, since it's a small bag specific thread... something like the ONA Bowery (waxed canvas or similar), even a tad larger... but with better security (back pocket is useless; fronts are not too bad). Billingham Hadley Small Pro comes to mind but it's pricey, not quite my style, and maybe a touch large.
The Bowery is my mid bag.

My Update:

Tried the GOUACHE HOLGA, it was OK but too much like the Bowery I already had and liked more.
Tried the Domke Next Generation Trekker, really nice bag. A little bit heavy for it's size, I sold it on.
Tried and am keeping the National Geographic NG 1153 Earth Explorer Medium Pouch. It's actually a little smaller than I was originally thinking of but works well.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
I know this is a little old, but thought I'd put this in perspective. It's available on eBay, but the shipping to Hawaii is ridiculous. $2 for the bag and $28 for shipping! Good thing @SVQuant sold me one of his and shipped it cheaply. :)

BTW, this LowePro Format 110 looks like it has some possibilities for a small kit.
Format 110
Walter, Jaime and I had exchanged PMs about my doing the same for him in Portugal. Unfortunately, the USPS shipping costs were even more ridiculous than the $28 that Samy's wanted to ship it to you in Hawaii.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Thanks for this thread! Was looking for the smallest possible bag for a GX85 plus 2-3 mini lenses (20mm/12-32/35-100 5.6) and I think that $2 Nikon bag is going to be perfect. Ordered 2 just because it didn't add any shipping and it's $2. Only $6 shipping to my state.

SimonL

Mu-43 Regular
FWIW

I usually carry 2 bodies [GF7 & GX80] and 2 primes [PL 15mm and Oly 45mm] for a full day out shooting street. The Wotancraft Raven just fits the both with enough room to make taking out / putting back in fairly easy with no fighting.

Nick779

Mu-43 Regular
Im racking my brain looking for the perfect bag, still reading this thread, but open to recommendations. for a while ive been very happy with my Lowepro SH140 II while I had my EM5.2, its just a hair too small for an EM1.2 in the config I use.

The SH 140 is 6.8x4.3x6.7 inches on the inside. My em5.2 fits just about perfectly "portrait" orientation lens down with 2 primes, the 40-150R and a spare battery on the inside. I keep a super mini tripod and lenspen in the outer pockets.

From what im reading the EM1 is 1CM wider and a bit taller than the EM5, so I need something like a 7x5x7 bag.
I have a SH160 @ 8 x 5.75 x 6.38 in, but its just bigger than I want or really need for daytime photography.

Do you guys have any suggestions that arent incredibly expensive, water resistant would be nice too. The closest im finding is the Ape Case ACPRO342W Metro Medium, but didnt know if thats my best bet.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im racking my brain looking for the perfect bag, still reading this thread, but open to recommendations. for a while ive been very happy with my Lowepro SH140 II while I had my EM5.2, its just a hair too small for an EM1.2 in the config I use.

The SH 140 is 6.8x4.3x6.7 inches on the inside. My em5.2 fits just about perfectly "portrait" orientation lens down with 2 primes, the 40-150R and a spare battery on the inside. I keep a super mini tripod and lenspen in the outer pockets.

From what im reading the EM1 is 1CM wider and a bit taller than the EM5, so I need something like a 7x5x7 bag.
I have a SH160 @ 8 x 5.75 x 6.38 in, but its just bigger than I want or really need for daytime photography.

Do you guys have any suggestions that arent incredibly expensive, water resistant would be nice too. The closest im finding is the Ape Case ACPRO342W Metro Medium, but didnt know if thats my best bet.
What primes?

Ones that come to mind (in no specific order):
  • ONA Bowery or Bond Street
  • Domke 5XA or 5XB
  • Domke F-10 or F-9
  • National Geographic Earth Explorer National Geographic 2344
  • Tamrac Rally 2 V2.0 Shoulder Bag
  • Crumpler Proper Roady 2.0 Camera Sling Bag 2500

Nick779

Mu-43 Regular
What primes?

Ones that come to mind (in no specific order):
  • ONA Bowery or Bond Street
  • Domke 5XA or 5XB
  • Domke F-10 or F-9
  • National Geographic Earth Explorer National Geographic 2344
  • Tamrac Rally 2 V2.0 Shoulder Bag
  • Crumpler Proper Roady 2.0 Camera Sling Bag 2500
Nothing big, the 25mm F1.8 and 45mm 1.8. I have them on the bottom, a layer of foam and the 40-150R + battery above them

johnvanatta

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for the tip on these great Nikon bags. My plan is a bit different, instead of a camera and small lenses, I want to use one for storing two larger lenses. The PL 8-18 and Oly 12-40 fit very nicely:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Now, with my DIY lunchbox lens kit, I have good packages for 2 and 4 lenses. If anyone knows of something like this that'd fit 3 lenses I'd love to hear, since I would buy separate cases for every loadout :crying: I'm surprised the cases aren't disappearing faster since I imagine they work well for many of the Fuji and Sony lenses too. I snapped up two just in case.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
So... it's been a while. But anyone find any alternatives to the $2 nikon that are canvas? This thing is amazing for $2, lol. But I'll always prefer a canvas one if I can. That National Geographic NG 1153 comes close, only if it was black.

Versuri

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Reinaldo Versuri
I use Peak Design 5L
1 body + 2 lens or 2 bodies with small lens.

Or Peak Design 10L for big lens.
Note: I'll sell it (from France).

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Wow! M43 has even MORE options for bags than for lenses!! Cool!
I'm using a runners waist pack with good result. Mine is a Wenzel, and includes two bottle holders, I use one for a lens when needed. Shoulder OR waist is a real advantage. Water bottle is a real help when hiking.
What a coincidence. I had been researching small waist packs for a long time and finally came upon inexpensive hiking waist packs today, which all have a bottle holder on the side. My thought is to have a small waist pack just to carry lenses and accessories and keep the camera on a strap for those shorter excursions where I am not afraid of inclement weather. Turns out that the water bottle holder is perfect for something like a 12-100mm, and might even fit a PL50-200 in a pinch (not that I have one.) If I really wanted to, I could even holster the camera into the water bottle holder.
1576825228402.png

The water bottle holder even comes with a buckle that allows you to cinch the bottle (lens) tight. This obviously is not the most padded solution, so I wouldn't actually take this with the 12-100 inside on a hike where I might slip/fall, but should be fine for most urban trips.

The one catch I have noticed tonight is that the elastic of the water bottle holder causes the 12-100's MF clutch to switch every time.

Just out of morbid curiosity, I tried and managed to fit the G9+12-100, o9-18mm, 20mm 1.7, and 2 spare batteries into the zippered compartments. This has no padding and I would not recommend carrying it this way, but this does give me a better sense of the internal volume. Very lightweight carry solution and I could probably use lens bags to provide a bit of protection, if needed.

Last edited:

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes, I used neoprene lens bags for awhile. I have gradually moved away from then to cloth bags. Just the merest padding, really just to keep the objects from scraping each other. I found the padding was not being usedan since the waist pack was on or near my body while walking.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Even better! I will sell you my old one for $150! That way you'll have a small, really expensive, 'vintage' (pretty sure such products have a lifecycle of like 8 months), waistpack. And we'll both have a chuckle about how much we can spend to "accessorize" our camera gear. How many bags do you have? I've got 10 so far. But nothing over $75 yet. ;) and I caught myself looking at a bag just yesterday! ;) a sucker born every minute indeed!

mfturner

Mu-43 Regular
I've used a Camelbak Flash Flo waist pack with the water bladder removed to carry my EM10.3 with the 14-42 ez lens for runs and hikes on trails. The straps intended to cinch the water bladder do a good job of stabilizing the camera while running. The best thing about a waist pack is that you can spin it around to your front for quick access when a flock of wild turkeys step across the trail. The down side as you've mentioned is no padding if I stumble, some of the trails are pretty rugged here around Boulder CO. I'm gifting myself a PM1 as a beater camera this Christmas to take care of that.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
One thing I like about the EngYen pack I posted a screenshot of is that the buckle is at the side of the pack rather than at the back. I find this much more convenient to take on and off and a tad bit more secure than having the buckle in the small of your back.

2mnycars

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
DaveL
I use Peak Design 5L
1 body + 2 lens or 2 bodies with small lens.

View attachment 791694

Or Peak Design 10L for big lens.
Note: I'll sell it (from France).
View attachment 791696
That really looks good!
Careful...the strap came apart on my Peak Design 5L sling. They have a repair kit to prevent that and shipped it to me free.
The bag was a little bit small. I got the 6L sling. It's that much bigger that it made the difference for me.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom