Small bag recommendation

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Looking for a small bag recommendation for my GX85 and two lenses or my Fuji X70 and the wide converter. I've looked at a few so I'm looking for "OTHER" options out side the default stuff.

Options already considered:
  • Mirrorless Movers - don't like the little magnet closures so I'd have to zip it all the time.
  • Domke F-5XA - still a little bigger than I would like at 8 x 8 x 4.5.
  • Domke Next Generation Trekker - B&H had a demo condition I should have grabbed for $80. It's the right size at 4.5 x 5.5 x 7.0 but $130 is more than I really want to spend.
  • ONA Bond Street - I love my Bowery but the Bond is still a little big at 9.0 x 7.5 x 4.5, add the $130 price and the only color is smoke or more $$$ leather so....
  • Think Tank Speed Changer - I have one of these already. It seems thinker than it 8 x 7 x 4.5 should. I think it's because the hooks for the shoulder strap are on the back of the bag instead of the sides.
  • Golla (781/782/865/118) - Little bag I had a while back, nice cheap bag off Amazon. I'm trying to figure it it's big enough based on the pictures I took when I used it for my GM5. ( Bags and more bags ) But the size seems about right at 5.9 x 6.7 x 3.5.
  • Billingham Digital Hadley Bag - If the Domke Trekker is too much $$$ than.....
Right now the two Domke and the Golla are leading.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I am really pleased with my Tenba DNA10, I have a couple of older Lowepro's. and a Tamrak.

Categories
Have you considered the Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney? I'm very happy with mine.
Both too big. Even the DNA 8 is bigger than I'm looking. And the Hubba is bigger than the Speed Changer though it does have both back and side attachment points for a shoulder strap. I looked at the Hubba as an option for that "little bit bigger bag" than my Bowery. But I think it's too close to the same size. I might pick up a Retro 6 for that. But that would be a for another day.

I should probably add I went a "little" OCD with bags a while back and created this thread: List of Camera Bags with Dimensions

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Which two lenses? Recommendations would be totally different if you are talking pancake lenses or something bigger.

Check out the Manfrotto Stile Collection Bella II or IV Shoulder Bag. The latter is $20 right now at B&H.
The O9-18 with hood is currently my biggest lens. So the biggest combo would be the O9-18 and P35-100 f4-5.6. So I am talking small, smaller than the Domke F-5xa. About the size of the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 10 if I actually liked them.
I have the Think Tank Change Up v2. Perfect size for micro 4/3rds cameras with 2-3 lenses. Lots of pockets for storing misc items. It is a little expensive,but worth through price.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/speed-convertibles/products/change-up-v2
The Change Up is the next size up from my Speed Changer, but I have considered the next two sizes down, the Slim Changer and Stuff It!

waday

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wade
About the size of the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 10 if I actually liked them.
For my own edification (since I'm always on the lookout for bags, haha), what is it that you dislike about this bag since it fits your size requirements? What would/should it have differently to make you like it? That might help with others' recommendations for you, as well as helping others that are in the same predicament.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Real Name
Jack
I like this bag quite a lot.It is simple and waxed canvas is a material I have an affinity for. The workmanship is very good. I have found no flaws with that. The strap is "softer" than the typical woven nylon straps that come with most bags which feels better on the shoulder. I doubt it will endure severe abrasion, but I haven't encountered any circumstances that have stressed it.
I also purchased one of their Lunch Bags and it arrived with a broken swivel hook. Customer service was superb. One email and a new one was immediately dispatched no question, no charge.

Here is a look at the bag:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
This might be of interest. I use one mostly with my E-M1, and occasionally with my Fuji X-E1 and a lens or two:

Shibata - Olive - Product
It's worth noting that the Shibata is on clearance, as well as a smaller bag, the Springfield. Hmm, the Springfield is almost the same size. Anyway, F-Stop makes great bags and at least the clearance stuff seems to get shipped out in good time. :)
Clearance - Product

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Wow, you are looking for a really tiny bag, then. The H.H.Hiney is the smallest gadget bag I have ever owned. Good luck in your search.
The HHH is actually just a little bigger than the ONA Bowery (the picture below). My X70 doesn't have the hood attached, but I can get a good bit into it. I'd love something about 1/2 the width.

For my own edification (since I'm always on the lookout for bags, haha), what is it that you dislike about this bag since it fits your size requirements? What would/should it have differently to make you like it? That might help with others' recommendations for you, as well as helping others that are in the same predicament.
The magnet is not strong enough (IMHO) so you have to zip it to secure it. I've had something fall out of bag that didn't really close securely. Yes a clip takes a little time / coordination and Velcro makes noise, but either would be more secure for me.

Don't laugh. $12. I'm picky and not afraid to spend, but this little Jazz Messenger is still an easy, lite kit bag. Despite having much more expensive bags, it's what I grab for lite days. Easily fits my e-m1 with 12-40 Pro, plus two, sometimes three additional lenses.

Jazz Messenger 2 Bag - Tamrac Amazon.com: Jazz Messenger 2 Bag - Tamrac: Sports & Outdoors
Not sure I like the Jazz, but the I have considered the Amazon.com : Tamrac 3440 Rally Micro Camera Bag - Black/Red : Photographic Equipment Bag Accessories : Electronics

I'll have to look at this. I've seen them before (the Jackpack line), but they aren't readily available in the US. I can't see them on Amazon or eBay.

I use one of these for my XE-2 with 27mm lens.

GOUACHE HOLGA BIKE BAG IN ROYAL BLUE
I like the look of Gouache bags online (seem to be Ona-inspired), but haven't actually gotten around to ordering one. What do you think of the quality and usability?

They can be ordered in the US from Gouache - Qamay San Francisco.
I like this bag quite a lot.It is simple and waxed canvas is a material I have an affinity for. The workmanship is very good. I have found no flaws with that. The strap is "softer" than the typical woven nylon straps that come with most bags which feels better on the shoulder. I doubt it will endure severe abrasion, but I haven't encountered any circumstances that have stressed it.
I also purchased one of their Lunch Bags and it arrived with a broken swivel hook. Customer service was superb. One email and a new one was immediately dispatched no question, no charge.

Here is a look at the bag:

View attachment 539623
I've been looking through the Bag and more Bags and these have caught my eye. I looked at their Harvey Waxed Canvas Compact Camera Bag before I got my Bowery. But I found a really good deal on the Bowery so I went that way.

This might just be leading the way right now, wouldn't mind if it was a little smaller. ;)

It's worth noting that the Shibata is on clearance, as well as a smaller bag, the Springfield. Hmm, the Springfield is almost the same size. Anyway, F-Stop makes great bags and at least the clearance stuff seems to get shipped out in good time. :)
Clearance - Product
I looked at the Shibata a while ago but something always stopped me.

Attachments

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom