1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Small Bag for OMD-EM1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by langer318, Oct 16, 2013.

1. langer318

langer318 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I'm looking for a small bag for my OMD-EM1 and Panasonic 14MM that I can attach to the waist belt of a backpack. I'd like something easily accessible while wearing gloves since I'll be using it for winter mountaineering.

I was looking at the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 5 does anyone know if the OMD-EM1 will fit in it?

2. CVigilV

CVigilV Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Hi Langer,

I would recommend you to see the Capture by Peak Designs. It's a quick release mount to "wear" your camera. I'm going to order one so I can post photos of it here.

Go see it, in my opinion for what you want it is worth the $80 bucks the ask for.

Hope it helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

3. langer318

langer318 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    CVigilV I just happen to have ordered a Capture last month, hopefully it's shipping soon it looks pretty cool.

I wanted a bag as well to protect my camera when I'm climbing since it may get scraped up on rocks\ice.

4. CVigilV

CVigilV Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Lander, I was thinking about it and I thoight you could mod a Haven Crumpler S to fit your needs, but I want to know which is the lens you usually hike with?

Also the Crumpler is suppossed to be weather sealed, in other terms, its rain proof

Guess it helps, Carlos

Sent from my RM-825_eu_poland_261 using Tapatalk

5. langer318

langer318 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I currently have the Panasonic 14MM and may get a fisheye in the near future. So I don't need\want a larger bag. Something just big enough to fit the camera would be great. I actually just tried a lens case from Lowepro and the camera barely fits in it but its a bit too tight and I don't think it'll work out well in the long term.

6. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I got the Capture Pro or whatever the one is that just recently came out (I bought through the Kickstarter pre-order). It is a really sold product, and allows you to hang the camera off of any backpack or bag you have. I have been thinking about ordering a ThinkTank TurnStyle sling to use with this thing.

It is great for bike riding, so imagine it would work good for mountaineering (not sure what that is, but assuming it is something outdoors and moving around).

7. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    ThinkTank Holster 10 will fit the EM5 with the RRS grip/Lplate and the 12-35, so the EM1 should fit as well. Hang it off your belt, or a shoulder strap. Comes with an additional waterproof cover, although it's pretty water resistant on it's own. If you drop the snoot on the bag you can keep another small lens in there, such as the 9-18. It's really well made, sturdy and protective, like all TT bags.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-holster-10-v2.aspx

I agree with you on the Capture. I have had one since Kickstarter days, and I managed to fall while hiking and scrape up my Nikon V1 (not to mention my rib cage, which the camera was smashed into), which was on the shoulder strap. So my cameras go into a bag now when I'm on the trails. I reserve the Capture and Spider for more civilized locations.

8. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Adorama just had a sale on the Crumpler 3MH yesterday...the bag + a free Crumper strap for $37. Might be out of stock now though.

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

I tried my E-M1 in a ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 10 today; the bag is a little big with the body & the Oly 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II lens, but there is not enough room to add my second mu43 lens (40-150mm ED f4.0-5.6 R) in the bottom.

Now that I think about it, it would have worked better if I had inverted the hood and taken the filter off the 14-42mm. Will have to try it again.

I like the magnetic flap.

It should probably also fit the body + the 40-150mm mounted.

I'm looking for a tiny bag for just the body and these two lenses, for travel.
    I'm also considering an even smaller bag with a single lens.

The store didn't have the MM5 in stock so I didn't get to try it yet, but I'm pretty sure it'd work with a pancake lens.

Barry

10. figure five

figure five Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have a lowepro TLZ mini which fits my EM-5 with 12-35 attached. It fits with the hood extended if I want, otherwise there's room for a 14mm or 20mm prime in the bottom, separated by a little square of padding borrowed from another bag.

I use the TLZ mini (which has a belt loop) one one side of my hip belt for backpacking, with a shortish lowepro lens case on the other side (also attached via belt loop). Allows me to carry 12-35 or 7-14 + 35-100 easily, with an extra little zip pocket on the TLZ for small items (extra batts, CPL, etc).

For larger DSLR setup or if I want to bring more than 2 lenses I use a lowepro Photorunner, which fits like a fannypack on the front, lightweight, very handy for backpacking and stays out of the way if you use trekking poles.

11. lucifer06

lucifer06 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2011
    You can take a look at Domke F-5xa too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

12. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Think Tank for it's strength of attachment and it's beefy zipper pulls for use with gloves. The holster mentioned before would be real hard to tear away from the body. The silly named Hubba Hubba Hiney (HHH) has excellent strength in it's belt mount. HHH being twelve inches wide allows for useful extras, such as using one of it's slots to temporarily store gloves, or to store a sandwich or some tools. Plus, these are bags that are waterproof with an included shroud.

13. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I also use the HHH with two additional lenses, or even three if I stack them. My typical kit here would be

E-M1 + RRS L-plate
    12-35 mounted
    9-18
    40-150
    CP filter and step-up rings
    Batteries, SD cards, etc.

This all fits pretty well. Of course, you can take one of the lenses out and carry other non-photo stuff in the bag if you like.

14. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I did eventually try the MM5 with my e-m1; too small with the 14-42 mounted.

I ended up buying the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 10; remove the divider/cell phone pouch (velcro), and there's room for the E-M1 with lens down with the 12-40mm Pro or 40-150mm or similar, AND there's still room for a kit lens such as the Oly 17mm or 45mm - I keep one in a cloth pouch. The 14-42mm might fit in the bottom instead of the prime; haven't tried it.

Also, there's room for a BCL lens in the stretchy side pouch, and a battery or two in the other side pouch, plus room for cards, batteries, flash, etc. in the front pocket with the rain cover.

An E-M1 with a bottom plate or L-plate would NOT fit.

Barry