Small bag for climbing...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mattia, Jun 4, 2012.

1. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Anyone here climb (rock/sport climbing) with their mu43 gear? I want to take a camera up on the rock, probably the GF2 because I'm not risking the E-M5 smashing into a rock, and I'm pondering various options.

A sling bag might work, as I basically need something with a bit of padding that keeps the camera (with the 14 mounted) tight to the body so it doesn't swing, and does not interfere with my movements.
  2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    If it's just the gf2 and a pancake you could just get a small pouch and suspend it the same way you hang your chalk bag
  3. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
  4. TDP

TDP Guest

I would put it in a small chalk bag right next to your actual chalk bag. Put a clear filter on the lens and leave the lens cap in the car. You might also want to run a lanyard from the camera to a connection point on your harness so if you happen to lose grip on the camera it doesn't smash into a hundred pieces after it nails your belayer on the head.

Climb on

CARHOUND Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    You could try the Mountainsmith Swift FX

It's a lumbar pack with a sling strap, so it's pretty flexible in how you wear it. The best part that I like about it is it's got an integral rain cover.

I think you can find it for $50-60 at B&H.
  6. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    I'm not a climber, so I don't know if this would work with your other gear, but how about a belt-pack like the Lowe-Pro Off-Trail 1?

Stock Photo:

The slip-lock lens cases are removable. If you think it might work for you I happen to have one in my closet I might be willing to sell. :)
  7. bnash

bnash Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2010
    I use the Lowepro, Apex 100 AW. It has a belt loop as well as a shoulder strap and a rain cover. Easily fits my E-pl1 with Kit lens, spare battery and EVF yet is still compact. ( I'm not a climber)
  8. aroth87

aroth87 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2012
    Johnson County, KS
    I'll weigh in with another near-useless "I'm not a climber" opinion :biggrin:

I do a lot of hiking and use a simple Tamrac holster attached to my shoulder straps with carabiners. Its enough to hold a camera with lens attached and small prime in the outside pocket. Its bulkier than a chalk bag but closes more securely and offers a little more protection for the camera. Or you could adapt one of the pouches for the Think Tank belt system to attach to your harness.

Galen Rowell used a chest pack but with the little experience climbing that I have it seems like it would be a major nuisance.

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I'm also clueless when it comes to the requirements of climbing, but if you're looking for a small sling bag, the Tamrac Velocity 4 might be worth a look. It will easily accommodate your GF2/14mm as well as an extra lens (any of the lenses listed in your sig would fit easily).
  10. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I used to always clip mine on a spectra sling across my back/chest, and again at the back of my harness on the side with no gear (never did much trad anyway). it kept the camera put when I didn't need it, and when I did I unclipped it from the harness but left it clipped to my sling so it was always attached while I used it.
  11. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm gravitating towards the chalk bag with extra lanyard or a combo of spare sling with chalk bag.
  12. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Another idea would be the pouch called hubba hubba hiney from thhink tank. Size just right for 2 m4/3 bodies with small lens attached. It has a flexible pocket on the front.

Can be attached to your belt or even get their belt that has loops for attaching other items like chalk bag.

Hubba Hubba Hiney
  13. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    That's simply too big and bulky - I already have a similar 'small' LowePro waist pack that's unsuitable. When you're climbing up bolted routes you're wearing a harness with belt loops, and a bunch of carabiners, quick draws and a few extra slings and maillons and the like strapped to your waist, and you need access to those easily and quickly.
  14. PointZero

PointZero Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2011
    This was something that was recommended for an EPM1 and 14mm pancake. Maybe it'll fit your GF2?

Case Logic case
  15. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    I just spent four days on Via Ferrata in the Dolomites & my solution was to put a wrist strap on the right attachment on my EP3, and a small carabiner on the left. I then clipped the biner to my harness over my right shoulder. I could put my wrist through the strap, then unclip, with my right hand, keeping the camera securely attached to my hand or pack at all times. I could also take the occasional shot (with the viewfinder upside down) without removing the camera from my pack. I just left it on, with the lens cap off, all through the climbs. With the camera against my shoulder, there was never any point where the camera came close enough to the wall or pro to take a serious hit, it didn't move around much, and it didn't interfere with my movement. I did lose a little paint on the body, though, from the carabiner. The climbing wasn't much harder than 5.7 in the hardest bits, so depending on what you're doing (esp. if there are lots of chimneys etc.) there might be more risk of damage on some routes, but this setup worked great for me.

16. deprivedofsleep

deprivedofsleep Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    Northants, UK
    I've recently started climbing and wouldn't mind bringing my GF2 along for the ride. Still weighing up my options for securing it to me while climbing so this thread gets the thumbs up from me.

I've been looking for a mobile phone style silicone case to wrap wround it, just to fend off Tue smaller knocks and scrapes but it doesn't look like such a thing exists.
  17. tgapp

tgapp New to Mu-43

May 26, 2012
    Funny to see this thread here, because that's exactly what I was looking for on the forums today. Two of my most regular partners also have m4/3's cameras--one has an EM-5 and the other has an E-PL3. The consensus between the three of us has been using a padded bag, tied-on short and clipped to the haul loop with a sling & a locker going from the camera to the harness--I've tried the chalk bag thing before, but I'm too paranoid with it in wide cracks, chimneying, etc.

I'm not home right now, but this bag looks VERY similar to the one I've been using. I've taken it with me backpacking in Yosemite, up to Lone Peak (I'm a Salt Lake native), and up a few moderate couloir routes. It works great.

Lowepro - Adventura Ultra Zoom 100