Small and great at low light with good resolution?

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I'm wondering which digital cameras are thought include the best of these criteria - really good in low light, small in size, and offers a good quality of resolution when one wants to print, as well as view at a good size on a computer or online?

Does small in size have to mean that it is pocketable? That would be nice, but maybe that's asking for too much.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
BB, if you're not too fussy about sharp corner detail, the Sony NEX 5 could be worth a look.

Cheers

Brian

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Thanks Brian, I have read a bit about it. That lens looks awfully large on that little camera body.

I remain quite happy with my current camera and lenses, but have been thinking about other types of cameras while, at the same time, not excluding :43: that might be just a bit smaller.

Perhaps later in the year we'll have some new cameras being introduced. I might be thinking about a foretold of Lumix LX5 and wondering about the Leica X1, too.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Uh oh.....We be tight ya know...and I love ya kiddo...but let's not push it....
Share my Kona.....don't dream BB....don't dream!

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thursday arrived meaning Lisa will get her NEX5. I do look forward to hearing from her and her pictures ! Can't wait.

Bullfrog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you're also considering compact P&S models have a look at the Fuji Finepix F70 EXR. It's the finest P&S I've ever owned and capable of some really impressive low-light images. It takes some work to get the best out of it (default settings are horrible) but worth it imo.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Right, Herman - I forgot that Lisa was getting herself a Nex 5. There's nothing like seeing a camera in real life and if you know someone who has one, even better.

Paul, thanks for the suggestion. Right now I'm just thinking out loud. I am somewhat surprised that no one has jumped in here to suggest the G2 or any other mu43, yet.

I think there's a big camera convention coming up, perhaps we'll hear about some new versions being announced.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
BB, I think the E-PL1 is currently in the lead for low light image quality in m4/3rds - or the GH1 if you're shooting in raw.

I do expect an improvement in sensor technology later this year for m4/3rds.

Cheers

Brian

soundimageplus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As you know I use an X1, which is very small, very light and excellent in low light. In fact one of the best cameras I've ever used at high ISO's. This gets very close to how Canon DSLR's perform at high ISO's. Downsides are fixed lens and Price.

Another alternative is one of the m4/3 compacts GF1, E-P2, E-P1 with the 20mm f1.7. Not quite so small, not quite so light and not so good in low light, as the X1, but close.

As you have an E-PL1- To give you a rough idea:-
Ist picture on left - X1 1/100 f2.8 ISO 1600
2nd picture on right - E-PL1 1/125 f1.7 ISO 400

Both are details from out of the cameras jpgs, and are shot in exactly the same light.

Attachments

• X1.jpg
    X1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 159
  • E-PL1.jpg
    E-PL1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 145

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Appreciate your feedback, Brian.

I'm not sure why I'm even thinking about all this...it may be that I caught Bill's "Tell me I'm Mad?" virus. I just started thinking about how even though I love the E-PL1 w/the EVF, that I still would love to have something even smaller, but with controls...

David, thank you - I think we must have been posting at the same time! I've been reading your views on the X1 over on SeriousCompacts.com and your blog...and honestly you are the one who has gotten me thinking. I really shouldn't have blamed it on Bill's "madness" virus. The X1 is very intriguing but yes it is expensive. I do have the E-PL1 and 20mm, and most of the time use the EVF. I guess I just like the idea of a camera that will be even easier to have with me... I've never seen an X1 in person. I'm almost afraid to.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Thanks for the example David, the 20mm f1.7 is the lens to have for low light BB... lucky you've already got one! :wink:

Just an aside, the lens on the NEX 5 is roughly the same size as the Lumix 14-45mm kit lens... it just looks big because the body is so small. The 16mm f2.8 is probably a better match for the camera in low light.

Cheers

Brian

soundimageplus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Regarding those two out of the camera jpegs, how do you see them? The one on the right looks more saturated to me.

After I posted the samples I realised that I've got the X1 saturation turned right down as I've been using it in a church at a wedding. The X1 is normally pretty vivid.

I've been planning to post some raw samples and I'll try to get round to doing that soon.

R

richie15

BB, as you know I have just swapped a GF1 for a Leica D-Lux 4, cant give you any feedback on results yet as its raining but the camera is super small and the leica case looks the business. I will try and post some images over the weekend but intend to shoot in JPEG mode rather than RAW to take advantage of the internal engine and film sim modes which look very good.

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
these are exactly the things I am looking for in a camera. I have to say that X1 is dead sexy. I wish Panasonic had made a version of it, so I could scour the used market for one a year from now (too many interests compete for my spending money).

Latest threads

Top Bottom