1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SLRLounge Mac vs PC for photographers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Speedliner, Apr 29, 2016.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I read as far as the specs and I already know how it's going to end.... :)

A few complaints, though:
    • If comparing to a custom PC, you should at least use self-installed RAM on the iMac which would save $500.
    • 1440p screen on the PC when comparing to a 5K iMac? Kind of defeating the main draw of the iMac.
    • What is the point of the 1TB SSD? Was it included just to make the Mac way too expensive? It doesn't impact performance.
    • Is someone shopping for an iMac really going to liquid cool and overclock their PC 150%?
    Really if you dropped to a 256GB SSD and the M390 GPU, the performance is going to be the same as with the $4000 config and now the iMac is "only" $2500.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    No sh1t Sherlock!

About as predictable as Columbo finding the real murderer right at the end!

3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I think the SSD makes a big difference. Imstalling one in my PC was night and day for some tasks like imports. Overall snappiness improved. It only cost $250 for a 960gb drive though. Not a thousand.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    Apple charges arm and leg for upgraded components.
    Anyway, a proper comparison would be Mac Pro vs that custom build PC hooked to the same monitor. There's no way for AIO (mac or pc) to be competitive against stand alone machine at the same price point due to heat dissipation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tkbslc

In an iMac it is $1000. My point was that the 256gb would process files just as fast.

6. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    Yes, it's a silly comparison in many ways. One is off-the-shelf and you can purchase one and be up and running in an hour, including drivetime in many places. The other takes many hours of research and assembly, presuming you even have that base knowledge and skillset. I've built a custom, overclocked PC. I own a Mac also. They both have their place, but this comparison is apples and oranges.

7. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    People tend to underestimate the impact of an ssd. It's the biggest impact you will have in a performance computer.
    256 gb ssd is so 2009. If you don't have at 485 gb ssd, I don't see how you can even call your computer system modern.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    says the man sending from a 4 year old phone :)

Original article is so flawed in what it tests, how it prices things and so much more, that it is only useful to measurebators

"I'm out..." [drop mike]... apparently its a thing... the US president just did it

K

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Thats not really true. There are PC manufacturers that sell prebuilt and customized high-end pcs that arrive at your door ready to go. Digital Storm for instance.
    Desktops by Digital Storm

Ho and Dell sell high-end models that can b optioned up pretty well.

Any standardized, packaged system is going to be below the performance curve because they are designed then built for awhile and therefore obsolete almost immediately.

This isn't Apple vs PC, it's open vs closed system.

10. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I've never really understood these discussions. You don't buy a Mac because it is good value. Most people are fully aware that in terms of value they are pretty poor. I bought mine, and I was not pleased by the prices (especially upgraded SSDs) at all. But I did not want to go back to using Windows after seven years on an old Mac Book that still ran surprisingly well after all that time. I just never had any problems with it and I still remembered my old WinXP PC. I know that this is now an outdated experience but I just figured that the money wasn't all that much if I would use this one for a comparably long time. If you really need the best performance per $ spent a mac probably isn't for you and that's fine.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I process files in Lightroom on a P.O.S 4 year old $299 laptop and it works just fine. If spending tons of money on spec sheets makes you happy, then either of those choices I'm sure will make you happy. But then, a few months later there is a "better" computer out there. :eek:

12. tkbslc

Did you forget the sarcasm smiley?

• Like Like x 1
  13. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    i didnt even read the article. just chimed in to say that little piece on ssd's.

14. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    Actually, I did! When you consider the annual cost of ownership, a Mac is often cheaper because they hold their value really well. I finally switched to Mac after getting sick of realizing my $1500 PC laptops could only be sold for $300 two years later when I'm ready to upgrade. An equivalent Mac laptop may be a bit over $2k, but after two years you can sell it for $1500!

• Agree Agree x 1